Fiberglass top install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 5th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605
Fiberglass top install

Does anyone still have the instruction sheet for installing one of these. I jsut bought one and am driving to Reno to pick it up and install it for the drive home - figured it would be cheaper than shipping and less damaging to the top. What tools are needed? How long of a job is it?

If the truck makes it - the trail wasn't tough enough.
If the truck doesn't make it - the truck wasn't tough enough.
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
Go to the Tech Articles, Hard top install by Brian Liang.
It is all there as a PDF

Installing took me 4 hours on my own, 2 hrs with a buddy. You will need a beer and lots of water to start. Get a punching bag (not your buddy though you may need to be his bag). It is not that big a deal, just the front edge over the windshield lineing up, if on your own it is a big thing to manuver around. The pieces fit together nicely, it's just that the top slots over the side and corner panels in such a way you can not reach the bolt and the nut on your own without a clamping wrench.

On the install I needed 2 clamping wrenches, several socket wrenches (I no longer recall the sizes needed but several - UK engineering so loved - socket extenders and that is about it.

If you are there for a day or two, I recommend to caulk the rain gutter. Mine leaked in all the bolt holes until I ran a bead of caulk on everything - then really water tight after that.

Old July 5th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
Here are some lessons learned-
- the area where the top panel meets the front roll cage is the easiest to break because the top is cutout in that location. it also can be tought to fit because the top panel overlaps the side panels in that location as well. all that makes it easy to damage the top by pushing down too hard in the wrong spot. it takes finesse.
- to attach the roof panel, start fastening at the back and do the windshield fasteners last. This is because they probably wont line up without pushing on the windshield one way or the other. Its easy to move the windshield because it has some flex to it.
Old July 6th, 2005, 12:21 PM
james o'brien
Definitely do the caulk and push the windshield. This may be heresy but when my top bolts started to fly off during a 12 hour trip up 95, I found that zip ties are a great fix.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

fiber, fiberglass, fiberglass top, glass