fiberglass hartop & door alignment - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 26th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
fiberglass hartop & door alignment

I installed my fiberglass hartop and have some alignment issues with a new & recently installed 1/2 door (OEM LR door). The door top hits the fiberglass hartop cap above the door so the door wont shut properly. I know there is play in the hinges for door alignment - do you think there is enough play to adjust the doors down by 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so? I have tried some searches on this topic, but thought I would ask before I start messing with the hindges & the alignment on a cold night.
I know Tech articles -> NAS 90 Harttop fitting instructions -> p.8 addresses the door tops, but this alignment is more than adjusting the door tops.
I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions
Thanks

D90 Yahoo Group member since 2001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2012, 09:16 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

HT

Did you put any sealing tape between the HT parts and the HT roof and Windshield frame? I used some single sided foam, 3/4 of an inch wide to help weather seal the top to the windshield and 1/2 between the sides and the top to help with vibration. I did not run into the problems you are having with the door being to high. Is it only on one side or both sides?
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes there likely is enough to move it down a 1/4in but not much (if there is space at the bottom of the door to allow that to happen and it of course depends on where you have it mounted now and how much play is left in the hinge mounts to the bulkhead) also you can move the top up a bit (did you use rubber washers under the sides?) and also you can alter the angle of the windscreen a bit.
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
You guys thanks for getting back to me on this. I have been putting this HT on most winters for the past 10 yrs and this hasnt happened before...so it must be the new door. I will have to get into it again this weekend and try to figure it out. I didnt use rubber washers under the top, but interesting idea. I did put closed cell foam weather stripping on the body capping / under the HT sides and on top of the windshield, but i didnt put it btwn the HT sides and the HT cap - i have done that before in yrs past and i didnt think it fit right. So either i adjust the door slightly down or figure out how to raise the top a 1/4 inch or so......

Old February 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
On the door hinges, the bolts that go into the firewall side (not door side) is there a riv nut behind it? I would assume so...because if there is a nut it would be hard to get to at. I still have to mess with the alignment from the new half door to make it fit right. Im hoping the play in the hinge will allow me to lower the door by a 1/4 inch or so to make it clear the fiberglass top. Right now i have been running it because the door closes just not all the way. Thanks

Old February 8th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
The hinges are bolted onto the bulkhead via a clip with a nut.
I don't know how you can get a 1/4 play out of it.
Could you post a picture of the problem?
Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alignment, door, fiber, fiberglass, glass