Defender Source Forum banner

fiberglass hartop & door alignment

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Grover 
#1 ·
I installed my fiberglass hartop and have some alignment issues with a new & recently installed 1/2 door (OEM LR door). The door top hits the fiberglass hartop cap above the door so the door wont shut properly. I know there is play in the hinges for door alignment - do you think there is enough play to adjust the doors down by 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so? I have tried some searches on this topic, but thought I would ask before I start messing with the hindges & the alignment on a cold night.
I know Tech articles -> NAS 90 Harttop fitting instructions -> p.8 addresses the door tops, but this alignment is more than adjusting the door tops.
I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions
Thanks

#2 ·
HT

Did you put any sealing tape between the HT parts and the HT roof and Windshield frame? I used some single sided foam, 3/4 of an inch wide to help weather seal the top to the windshield and 1/2 between the sides and the top to help with vibration. I did not run into the problems you are having with the door being to high. Is it only on one side or both sides?

#3 ·
Yes there likely is enough to move it down a 1/4in but not much (if there is space at the bottom of the door to allow that to happen and it of course depends on where you have it mounted now and how much play is left in the hinge mounts to the bulkhead) also you can move the top up a bit (did you use rubber washers under the sides?) and also you can alter the angle of the windscreen a bit.

#4 · (Edited)
You guys thanks for getting back to me on this. I have been putting this HT on most winters for the past 10 yrs and this hasnt happened before...so it must be the new door. I will have to get into it again this weekend and try to figure it out. I didnt use rubber washers under the top, but interesting idea. I did put closed cell foam weather stripping on the body capping / under the HT sides and on top of the windshield, but i didnt put it btwn the HT sides and the HT cap - i have done that before in yrs past and i didnt think it fit right. So either i adjust the door slightly down or figure out how to raise the top a 1/4 inch or so......

#5 ·
On the door hinges, the bolts that go into the firewall side (not door side) is there a riv nut behind it? I would assume so...because if there is a nut it would be hard to get to at. I still have to mess with the alignment from the new half door to make it fit right. Im hoping the play in the hinge will allow me to lower the door by a 1/4 inch or so to make it clear the fiberglass top. Right now i have been running it because the door closes just not all the way. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.