Defender Source Forum banner

Fiberglass Hardtop ?s

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ipgregory 
#1 ·
About to put on a Fiberglass Hardtop for the first time.

1. Does it scuff up the rubber on the cage? Should I put a sleeve or something around the roll bar in the rear corners?

2. Do I need the washers with collars, or can I just use fender washers? Do the washers with collars help with spacing in the holes in the fiberglass. "Bolt is skinnier than hole." Im sure there is a joke there.

3. On the side panels. I fixed the the lip on the top side. Do you really need the 1st hole on the top lip. The hole closest to the front where the cage pops through. Everyone I have seen has the hole broken. Rather not drill it if I do not have to.

Any other helpful hints? Thanks.

#2 ·
1. No

2. You need the correct hardware or the top will suffer. In particular, the rectangular washers and the rubber ones help prevent cracking.

3. I don't think you would need it.

Also, are you planning on keeping it on all year? Otherwise, I am not sure why you would need to fit one in LA. In addition, all the bolts that go into the rivnuts in the cappings, make sure to put anti-sieze on them. Finally, for the LOVE OF GOD DO NOT PUT THE BOLTS ON TIGHT AT ALL. Make them just barely snug. Consult the manual for torque specs of find the nut driver with the rubber shaft.

#3 ·
Also, put them on a little loose at first and tighten them when all the parts are on. This is not a perfect fit and does not have highly precise measurements... plus it's a hand built truck...

For extreme winter weather (like we get here in Montreal), a little windows silicon helps make it more airtight. It can also help water leaking on the windshield seal. Use the kind that is easy to remove or the paint will come off as well in the spring.

#4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I know its LA, just wanted to change it up a bit. Anybody know the size of these shoulder washers. Outside diameter, Length under head " I assume it would be the thinkness of the fiberglass side", Inside diameter. Thx.

#6 ·
About to put on a Fiberglass Hardtop for the first time.

1. Does it scuff up the rubber on the cage? Should I put a sleeve or something around the roll bar in the rear corners?

Any other helpful hints? Thanks.

I ran a FG hard top for a few years and it did cut into the rubber feet of the roll cage. It was nice having glass side/rear windows but other than the windows I'm much happier with the badger top.

#7 ·
Think I posted this before but another option if you don’t have the correct hardware or you don’t like that it puts pressure points on the weak fiberglass is to do something like I did in the pics below. Home depot sells strip Aluminum in 4' sections. Can’t remember but I think these were 1" wide but you can measure the gap and check. Drill some holes then add some stainless hardware and you're good to go. You have to round the ends a little on the corners.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.