Fiberglass Hardtop Installation - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 4th, 2005, 02:57 AM
jordan0527
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2

Smile Fiberglass Hardtop Installation

Hello everyone!

I just got my first D90 this afternoon. It is a British Racing Green 97 and I love it already. A longtime dream come true. It has the removable fiberglass hard top on right now, and it also came with the full soft top and bimini top. Can anyone direct me to a site with detailed instructons on how to remove / install the fiberglass top? It would be greatly appreciated. Also, I live in LA, so do I even need the removable hard top? How much could I sell it for?

Thanks
Jordan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Instructions right here!

http://www.defendersource.com/tech/f...p_install.html

I would say depending on the condition of the top it could go from $1000 to $1600, new they cost near $2500
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:57 PM
wildenbeast
Bill Wildenberg
94 Defender

hard top

Jordan-

If you end up selling the hard top, I'd be interested. I used to live in Southern CA as well- I never needed a hard top there but definitely need one now in Colorado...

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2005, 02:20 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

Jordan:

I also live in LA and I don't think there is a need for the hard top (unless you like it). The reason I bought a soft top not a Station Wagon was the So. Cal weather. To quote Sheryl Crow "I wanna soak up the sun".

With a good quality (not factory) soft top you will be set for the rainy season. Otherwise you will probably be running topless or with the bimini, I usualy have the bimini on.

Oh, by the way...

Congradulations on your purchase and welcome to the club!

Cheers!

-Mark

ps - Once you have the top off I reccomend taking off the door tops as well and going for a drive on PCH while blasting your favorite tunes...
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:20 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M
ps - Once you have the top off I reccomend taking off the door tops as well and going for a drive on PCH while blasting your favorite tunes...
Blasting your favorite tunes??? Aftermarket stereo speakers right?
Stock ones suck so bad I can barely hear them when on the road.
Old August 6th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

Um...Yeah...I forgot to mention that bit. One of my first mods was installing an Alpine head and an iPod interface with Infinity speakers. No sub-woofer, yet.

-Mark

Old August 7th, 2005, 02:28 AM
jordan0527
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2

Thanks for the info everyone...I took off the hartop (it wasn't easy!) and am loving life topless. I just added an alarm and the stereo will be next. So true about the stock system---sound like I've got a $10 boom box behind the rear bench seat I'm getting an Alpine head unit and custom sepeakers, and I hope my installer can fit a decent amp under the passenger seat so I can it sounding real nice.

Also, I realized today when I removed the hard top's door aperture seals that I don't have the screen post seal and lower waist rear edge seal for either door. Anyone know where to get some of these? The guy that sold me the car says he's had the hard top on for years and has no idea where those seals are.

Thanks
Jordan
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:33 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

try www.roversdownsouth.com or www.roversnorth.com
Old August 7th, 2005, 10:03 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan0527
Also, I realized today when I removed the hard top's door aperture seals that I don't have the screen post seal and lower waist rear edge seal for either door. Anyone know where to get some of these? The guy that sold me the car says he's had the hard top on for years and has no idea where those seals are.
I went to a junk yard and pulled the weather stripping off something (cant remember what), cut it to length and voila.
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:44 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Just a quick thank you for keeping this post online ! I was looking for these instructions and did a search on the forum rather than just asking a question.... found the answer right here !!!

This forums rocks !
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:11 AM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan0527 View Post
Thanks for the info everyone...I took off the hartop (it wasn't easy!) and am loving life topless. I just added an alarm and the stereo will be next. So true about the stock system---sound like I've got a $10 boom box behind the rear bench seat I'm getting an Alpine head unit and custom sepeakers, and I hope my installer can fit a decent amp under the passenger seat so I can it sounding real nice.

Thanks
Jordan

Interested in selling the hard top? I have a crack in mine and need a new top.

Thanks!

Don

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fiber, fiberglass, glass, hardtop, installation