Fiberglass Hardtop Installation - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:57 AM
jordan0527's Avatar
jordan0527
Status: Offline
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 106
Smile Fiberglass Hardtop Installation

Hello everyone!

I just got my first D90 this afternoon. It is a British Racing Green 97 and I love it already. A longtime dream come true. It has the removable fiberglass hard top on right now, and it also came with the full soft top and bimini top. Can anyone direct me to a site with detailed instructons on how to remove / install the fiberglass top? It would be greatly appreciated. Also, I live in LA, so do I even need the removable hard top? How much could I sell it for?

Thanks
Jordan
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old August 4th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Mike Hippert's Avatar
Mike Hippert
Status: Offline
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Manchester NH USA
Posts: 4,789
Instructions right here!

http://www.defendersource.com/tech/f...p_install.html

I would say depending on the condition of the top it could go from $1000 to $1600, new they cost near $2500
__________________
Don't forget to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:57 PM
wildenbeast
Status: Offline
Bill Wildenberg
94 Defender
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boulder, CO, USA
Posts: 17
hard top

Jordan-


If you end up selling the hard top, I'd be interested. I used to live in Southern CA as well- I never needed a hard top there but definitely need one now in Colorado...

Bill
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old August 5th, 2005, 02:20 AM
Mark M
Status: Offline
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Hollywood, CA USA
Posts: 155
Jordan:

I also live in LA and I don't think there is a need for the hard top (unless you like it). The reason I bought a soft top not a Station Wagon was the So. Cal weather. To quote Sheryl Crow "I wanna soak up the sun".

With a good quality (not factory) soft top you will be set for the rainy season. Otherwise you will probably be running topless or with the bimini, I usualy have the bimini on.

Oh, by the way...

Congradulations on your purchase and welcome to the club!

Cheers!

-Mark

ps - Once you have the top off I reccomend taking off the door tops as well and going for a drive on PCH while blasting your favorite tunes...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:20 PM
scoloco's Avatar
scoloco
Status: Offline
Scott
'94 D90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Manchester NH
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M
ps - Once you have the top off I reccomend taking off the door tops as well and going for a drive on PCH while blasting your favorite tunes...
Blasting your favorite tunes??? Aftermarket stereo speakers right?
Stock ones suck so bad I can barely hear them when on the road.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 6th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Mark M
Status: Offline
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Hollywood, CA USA
Posts: 155
Um...Yeah...I forgot to mention that bit. One of my first mods was installing an Alpine head and an iPod interface with Infinity speakers. No sub-woofer, yet.

-Mark

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 7th, 2005, 02:28 AM
jordan0527's Avatar
jordan0527
Status: Offline
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 106
Thanks for the info everyone...I took off the hartop (it wasn't easy!) and am loving life topless. I just added an alarm and the stereo will be next. So true about the stock system---sound like I've got a $10 boom box behind the rear bench seat I'm getting an Alpine head unit and custom sepeakers, and I hope my installer can fit a decent amp under the passenger seat so I can it sounding real nice.


Also, I realized today when I removed the hard top's door aperture seals that I don't have the screen post seal and lower waist rear edge seal for either door. Anyone know where to get some of these? The guy that sold me the car says he's had the hard top on for years and has no idea where those seals are.

Thanks
Jordan
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:33 AM
sheki's Avatar
sheki
Status: Offline
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 578
try www.roversdownsouth.com or www.roversnorth.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 7th, 2005, 10:03 AM
scoloco's Avatar
scoloco
Status: Offline
Scott
'94 D90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Manchester NH
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan0527
Also, I realized today when I removed the hard top's door aperture seals that I don't have the screen post seal and lower waist rear edge seal for either door. Anyone know where to get some of these? The guy that sold me the car says he's had the hard top on for years and has no idea where those seals are.
I went to a junk yard and pulled the weather stripping off something (cant remember what), cut it to length and voila.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:44 AM
maleger
Status: Offline
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 395
Registry
Just a quick thank you for keeping this post online ! I was looking for these instructions and did a search on the forum rather than just asking a question.... found the answer right here !!!

This forums rocks !
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:11 AM
DonFromWhitby
Status: Offline
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Whitby, Ontario
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan0527 View Post
Thanks for the info everyone...I took off the hartop (it wasn't easy!) and am loving life topless. I just added an alarm and the stereo will be next. So true about the stock system---sound like I've got a $10 boom box behind the rear bench seat I'm getting an Alpine head unit and custom sepeakers, and I hope my installer can fit a decent amp under the passenger seat so I can it sounding real nice.


Also, I realized today when I removed the hard top's door aperture seals that I don't have the screen post seal and lower waist rear edge seal for either door. Anyone know where to get some of these? The guy that sold me the car says he's had the hard top on for years and has no idea where those seals are.

Thanks
Jordan

Interested in selling the hard top? I have a crack in mine and need a new top.


Thanks!

Don
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fiber, fiberglass, glass, hardtop, installation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiberglass Hardtop steve_brooks For Sale - Parts 1 March 15th, 2008 04:27 AM
Fiberglass Hardtop for Sale boshea For Sale - Parts 3 October 19th, 2005 08:18 PM
Fiberglass Hardtop Treuwer For Sale - Parts 0 August 6th, 2005 11:47 PM
1994 fiberglass hardtop installation dizuel Defender Technical Discussions 5 March 4th, 2005 02:09 PM
D90 fiberglass hardtop parts for sale Chris Cox For Sale - Parts 4 October 28th, 2003 09:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.


Copyright