Fiberglass Hard Top Window Seals - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 25th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question Fiberglass Hard Top Window Seals

Is it possible to replace all of the window seals (alpine, sides, rear) on a Fiberglass Hard Top while it is installed on the truck? Has anyone done this? Any advice?

Cheers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2009, 09:37 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Sure, its quite easy. Just buy a YA208A from Blue Point (a Snap-On brand) for like 20 bucks and you'll be done in less than an hour. Just lube everything up good with Windex.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 25th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Thumbs up

Thanks JimC. So this can be done externally? No need to access the window seals from the inside? I was concerned about the rollcage interfering. I am also concerned about cracking the fiberglass.

Cheers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2009, 11:40 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've done it, but it does depend on whether or not you want the lock strip on the inside or the outside. Lock strips have always been on the outside for alpine glass and don't seem to be much problem. That being said, I have always installed the side windows with the lock strip on the inside because I like the flush appearance on the outside.

For myself I would take off the side panels and make life easy for installing the lock strip on the inside. You can leave the roof panel in place, just unbolt the sides, push the top up, support it and extract the sides.

Old April 25th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Thumbs up

Good info...can you school on the lock strip? I take it the lock strip is the more pliable side of the seal , and the side that requires access?

Cheers...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fiber, fiberglass, glass, hard top, seals, window