Fender Vents - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 16th, 2006, 04:20 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Fender Vents

I have searched for new fender vents because my old plastic ones well sucked to say the least. I have looked everywhere but couldnt find some so I decided to have a couple made. Just thought I would post the pictures and see what some of you thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TribalVent1640x640.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	7082  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2006, 04:31 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripp2002
I have searched for new fender vents because my old plastic ones well sucked to say the least. I have looked everywhere but couldnt find some so I decided to have a couple made. Just thought I would post the pictures and see what some of you thought.
Nice. Now you need some 20" wheels to go with them. I bet if you made some with just the regular square mesh pattern you would get some buyers. I know my plastic vents are beat to crap and I may be interested.
Old October 16th, 2006, 04:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Well your heater will be clogged with leaves in a week.
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2006, 04:42 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

This were water cut from 1/4 inch aluminum and powder coated. I actually looked at it with the regular design but it would take forever and the cost a little extreme. Almost any design could be done lines would easily be possible. I had thought about the regular billet looking slats but thought I would do something differant hense the tribal dragon design. As for the 20', come up I have dub 22" with spinners now, you should see them in the mudd. LOL. I have been parting out item on my d-90 to get powder coated for the last couple months and this just ended up in the natural progression.

Follow-up Post:

As for the heater, just put screaning under the vent all good.
Old October 16th, 2006, 04:48 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I would be up for a set of them... What about bigger squares, so they sort of look stock, but more function and airflow.

Old October 16th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

They look great! Doing something different is very cool. Don't get bummed out about some of the opinions you get here. If they sold them at EE 20 people would reply with how sweet they were and the $400 a pair is totally worth it!

BTW: Definently put a screen below it as you will get a lot of junk in past there.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 16th, 2006, 04:57 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
What would the cost be for a similar to stock design? Like the above post said, a little larger square might be knda cool.
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:27 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

They were under 300.00 for everything (material, cuting, stripping, powder coating). I can check tomorrow and see what the cost differance would be with the squares. The only think is it would take a lot more individual cuts for all those sqaures and that might be something that c costs more because its time on the machine is what they charge. He already has all the dimensions so it might be less at the same time. I would assume all years have the same screw holes etc... I had these done with 1/4 inch aluminum because it sits flush with the fender covers I have. I do not know how durrable they would be if they were thinner.

I will check with him tomorrow and see what he has to say.
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:32 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

where did you get them done?
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:47 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

The guy who does my powder coating contacted him for me, not sure the name off the top of my head. Adcut I think it was. The company is a much larger company they do tile work, large items, this is well bottom dollar for them. LOL. They design logos etc... for mall floors, things along those lines. I can get the information for you.
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If you did a stainless steel screen below them, it would really offset the pattern nicely.
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Paddocks Spares has these

with holes instaed of squares. They are less than $20 each.
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:57 AM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Stainless steal screening below sounds like a good idea. I have also thought about just covering the hole for the heater with screaning and leaving it open underneither. Stainless would make the design stand out a lot better then either of my ideas. Thanks,

I was not able to get in touch with him yesterday due to work. I will give him a call this afternoon when I get a chance and post his answers here.

Thanks,
Old October 18th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Monkeyboy

I meant to search earlier in the week, but just found

http://www.twpinc.com/twp/jsp/produc...ackboardId=107

Interesting selection of welded stainless mesh ... some certalinly look suited to grille replacement with a suitable edging.

KAA
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:56 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I just fitted a winter heater box intake, keeps the water and snow from accumulating in the heater duct and from going through the bearings. Just drilled out the stock plastic blank cap to provide a screen, primarily to keep mice from making a home in my heater box.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=544610503 is a photo of what I used. I agree the plastic ones look cheap, and they did it intentionally to make it look "utilitarian" as people apparently got upset when you made something better on a stock rover. (was reading the LRE article on the various anniversaries and how people viewed the attempts to make special editions over the years)

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions