Fender Flares - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon
Unhappy Fender Flares

I used "Forever Black" on my fender flares a while ago...long story short...they now look like sh!t, i.e. stained with streaks and blotches (I should have left well enough alone) Has anybody experienced this? Can I un-do the damage?

Old November 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI
Yeah, get a body shop to refinish them though. Might as well go body colour at the same time. Painting abs/PVC or whatever plastic they are is tricky but given how much of a modern car is plastic...

http://www.offroad101.ca - Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly
http://www.facebook.com/offroad101 - Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!
https://www.facebook.com/bioglycerinesoaps - Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
I would take them off and soak them in soapy water for a day or two. If that doesn't work then I am not sure. Are all 4 bad?

Old November 14th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Mike Deery
1984 D-90
You can easily redo them inexpensively yourself. Go to a auto body paint and get degreaser/dewaxer Wipe the flares down with the degreaser, using a lint free rag(make sure to wear chemical gloves and a respirator). Then use matte or gloss black spray paint specifically made for auto abs and other automotive plastics. I did it myself over a year ago(my wheel arches were 25 years old,1984 d-90). My wheel arches were really bad. They look great now. After a year there are no streaks, peeling, fading, etc. The key is to use the right products specifically made for automotive use. Don't use some paint product from your local home center or pep boys that claims to be ok for plastic, etc. Get the stuff that body shops use from a professional supplier.
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Dave Lucas
Do not paint them till you try the following first, it made mine look like new even after the detail shop put some thick tire gloss stuff on them. Also did the same thing on my 1984 and it made them look like new.

Concentrated Simple green and a wash cloth or soft brush, let the simple gree sit on the flare for a little bit (do not let it dry), then scrub it. I would suggest removing the flares if possible but you could always try it on a small area to see if it will work prior to removing them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions