Feels like an off balance wheel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 8th, 2013, 03:00 AM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

Feels like an off balance wheel

Lately i have felt like my 95' D90 has an off balance wheel. But im sure its not that. As my $$ are tight I was hoping some of you can give me some insight (and good laughs) as to what this might be.

Like I noted it feels like I have a wheel off balance- but only slighlty. My Defender shakes and there is a vibration in the wheel, seats, pedels, etc. When I push in the clutch and the engine rpms drop it goes away 100% of the time.

I worry its something severe- like a piston arm locking on a piston. My D has 138k on it so its not young. And before me it had a poor life.

Some notes: normally the engine is smooth. It does this only about 10 to 15% of the time. So far I can not find any connection to how fast I go, how quickly I accelerate (or dont accelerate), what gear im in, or how much gas Im giving. I can say that I normally drive at about 2k to 2500rpm. And I dont drive much even though this is my daily driver: last month I drove a little more than 160 mile the whole month.

As Im writing this I realize that I can try to push in the clutch and keep on the gas to see if this does anything.

Thoughts? Warnings of impending doom? Laughs?

Pic unrelated

Woof!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130108_000026.png
Views:	68
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	64071  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote"When I push in the clutch and Revs drop it goes away 100% of the time"
If you drop the D into neutral at any speed the vibes go away?
Any recent work.?
Do they go away under braking?
Check the nuts holding the driveshafts to the axles and T-box are still there and tight. How are the UJ's?
I am worried about a clutch problem eg crack in plate etc, want to eliminate other potential issues first.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:23 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded View Post
I worry its something severe- like a piston arm locking on a piston.
Well, if it makes you feel better, this is highly unlikely.

Anything that deals with the pistons/bearing/rods results in extremely rapid deterioration of the engine.

Telltale noises for this kind of problem are a loud clear hollow knocking sound, or a high pitched whipcracking sound that increase in frequency as engine rpms increase. There is zero chance of making an engine problem of that sort go away by pushing in the clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I would check everything above but pay close attention to the driveshafts. A harmonic imbalance of a tire will come in and out at a particular speed. A lifted truck with a stock front drive shaft can give the same thing as a tire but it is more of a noise than a vibration. However a bad joint in the drive shaft, front or rear, can cause the vibration. If it is that, you will notice it more when it it under load. When you take your foot off the gas or push in the clutch you remove the load and the vibration. I would also check all of your ball joints to make sure that everything is tight.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:20 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Find a drive line shop near you and have them inspect the front and rear shafts. Sounds like the uj's might need to be looked at or replaced. I don't recommend you DIY unless you can have an experienced person help. IMO a front shaft coming apart while you are going down the road is not something to gamble with. I've seen it once and never want to see it again.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Clay is right...of the wobble is "centered" in the car, ie you can not pinpoint it to one side (aka wheel) it is more than likely driveline related. Any engine issue like this will manifest itself in a big bang, lots of smoke and a tow. The driveline will get better or worse at speed too...as you push the clutch in this is releasing pressure on the shafts and u-joints.

You can actually do a check underneath of the u joints - when were they greased last? Do you have a new"er" front or rear driveshaft?? Note if it is a GBR they need grease every 3K - do it every oil change.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
The majority of vibrations I've experience in my Defender were related to tires out of balance. First thing I would do (and lowest hanging fruit) is to go into a place like Discout Tire, etc and get your tires balanced. Makes a huge difference alone if it's out of balance. When I had my new KM2's installed recently, they pulled all 5 tires. after remounting, I had a horrible vibration that I could localize to front right. Went back and told them to recheck balance and sure enough one was done wrong. After an extended attempt to rebalance it, they determined that my steel tubed wheel had a slight warp to it, as it was at over 1lb of weights and still not balancing. I told them to make it my spare. I suspect it may have been the spare to start and I may have warped it slightly from walking on it too much when it was on the bonnet. Anyhow, rule it out before throwing money elsewhere.

------ Follow up post added January 8th, 2013 08:46 AM ------

BTW, if it's out of balance, you would likely only experience the vibration at certain speeds, and smooth otherwise.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:10 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

Thanks all! Will reread tonight and reply
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:14 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded View Post
Thanks all! Will reread tonight and reply
If it is the motor mounts, feel free to replace them with these:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41348

I've been pretty happy - and will never have to do them again! Ever!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel