Feedback/whining noisse thru speakers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 7th, 2006, 09:44 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

Feedback/whining noisse thru speakers

I am a new D-90 owner.
I picked up a 1997 D-90 wgn w/ about 57k miles on it last week.
The truck appears to be very clean (I am having it checked out this week) and so far feels like it's running great.

Problem is the stereo/sound - I am getting occasional feedback and whining noises in the rear speakers. The feedback sounds like static and this happens w/FM, CD and cassette.
The whining noise increases with acceleration.
This "noise" does not happen all the time but comes and goes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Check the grounding to the radio and if their is one to the amplifier. Make sure the ground and positive go to the battery and not the alternator.
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:35 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Sounds like alternator noise.

Go here for a good guide:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/IS...de.html?page=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2006, 08:14 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

I removed the radio today and made sure the plugs were all seated well into the back of the radio.
I drove the D90 a couple times today (over an hour) and no odd noise problems - hopefully it was a loose ground or something...I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks.
Paul
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Rover- Girl

Its possessed hear any voices !?
Just kidding, congrats on the new toy and welcome to the family
Christine
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:39 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Check the grounding to the radio and if their is one to the amplifier. Make sure the ground and positive go to the battery and not the alternator.
Ok - so I am still having problems with this radio thing.
Last week I broke down and bought a new Alpine radio/cd.

As suggested I have connected the power directly (with an inline fuse) to the (+) battery. I have also connected the ground to the (-) battery.

After all the connections were made - I turned one the radio to test and just music, no "strang noise".
I started up the D90 and still no strange noises (while idle).
I thought great - I hop in the D90 to head home and five minutes later the noise starts into the speakers again.

Any thoughts??

Thanks.
Paul
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Yeah, your alternator is bleeding a little AC into the wiring and causing this. Put a voltage line suppressor on the power side to the radio head unit.

It is also possible, but not likely, that some of the speaker wires are picking up the noise from co-mingling the wiring of the speakers in the loom (inductive interfence). Personally, the first thing to go in any good stereo system is crap wires. Run all new wires--yeah, it is a pain but an essential one. Crap 18 or 22 gauge factory unshield crap belongs in the bin.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:02 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Davis thanks for the quick reply.

Will the alternator still effect the wiring if I have connected the power feed directly to the battery?
If so what type/kind of voltage line suppressor would you recomend?
Is there a problem connecting the ground to the negative (-) battery terminal?

Also - what are your thoughts on type of speaker wire?

Paul
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

There is absolutely no problem connecting the ground wire to the battery--it is prefered.

For the power feed, the battery is the best place to make the connection and it works as a very effective filter, but stray electrical impulses still effect the system even off the battery. The most "destructive" signals are the a/c signals that usually result from bleedthrough from the alternator especially from defective or ineffective zenier diodes. Regardless, stray "noise" even comes through the battery--it is just going to be there.

As or recommendations on suppressors, some range from cheap Radio Shack types (worked for me) to very expensive ones marketed through people like Monster Cable. I am sure those are better, but lets face it--pay just enough to not hear the static over the other D90 noise! Start cheap with a place that takes returns.

For speaker cable, I use a 12 gauge unshielded for up to 75 watt speakers with short wire runs, and possibly 10 gauge for 100W plus. 12 is usually a very good gauge in cars. Run an amp, too. An amp with decent speakers is worth its weight over great speakers without an amp. Personally I run Amps, a good head unit, fantastic speakers and a pro equalizer and my 90 sounds amazing--I have a hard top, though. As for brand, that is less relevant, but make sure it has good sheathing. When I ran mine to the doors, I ran it out the doors the normal way, but it was too hard to chase the original cable so I ran it into the bulkhead and instead of up the pilar and out the front, I ran it down and out the bottom and then into flex and the just route it the quickest way to the amp.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, speakers