Fear of restoration: bulkhead and frame - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 19th, 2014, 06:08 PM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Fear of restoration: bulkhead and frame

Hi all,
I'm fairly new to the defender world. About a year ago I bought a 85 LR90. I love it, but it is Swiss cheese. The frame is going to need to be replaced and the bulkhead at some point.

I found a used bulkhead in Europe with the original vin still attached. Can I legally import it and use it on my LR90? Also my frame is getting pretty thin and rusty in places, so I want to replace it with a galvanized frame. I hear of people doing this, but how does one get around the federal rules with these things? Would it not be like cutting the vin numbers off of an old LR90 and putting them on a new Defender?
I guess what I am trying to get to here is that I have been reading stories of the NHTSA's crackdown on all things defender, and I can't afford to order parts only to have them get crushed in port (or my driveway for that matter).

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2014, 06:18 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Look up your state dmv for restoration cars or the like. Should be able to find a bulkhead in your state or at least this side of the pond. Chassis are easy to get here as well. Safari (in your state) or RDS or Urban Land Cruisers can help you out for chassis and bulkhead.
Old February 19th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
First of all the vin is not attached to the bulkhead. Its either on the brake booster bracket or its a windshield tag on very late models. Bulkheads can be had from all of the primary parts suppliers in the states. If I were in Florida and needed one I'd get in touch with Stephen @ Safari Heritage Parts in Orlando. If you need a new chassis buy a galvanized one. Do it once, do it right. Again to save on shipping costs I'd get in touch with Stephen.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2014, 07:04 PM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

That's good news. Say it is on the windshield tag. Either way, would I not still be replacing the vin, on the bulkhead be it on the brake booster or windshield tag as well as on the frame?

Would I run into legal problems with this?
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
It is not on the windshield tag on your 1985 so not sure why we are "saying its on the windshield tag". The windshield for your information is in a bolt on/removable frame and is not part of the bulkhead. Again as stated the VIN is not on the bulkhead.

As far as importing used parts its a non issue, as is install of imported used parts on your truck. If you were to import a different brake booster bracket for some reason or a new take off windshield that for some reason had the vin tag still attached for some we would hope you to be intelligent enough not to put conflicting vin numbers on your truck, I assume that's what you mean when you say "replacing the vin". Changing your cars VIN is illegal everywhere in the world.

There is a ton of information here that you should avail yourself of with the search function. Try the "whats Legal" thread as a basic starting point, That's why it's there.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 19th, 2014, 07:22 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Windshield is seperate from the bulkhead. Have you looked up what the rules/laws are in your state via the state dmv website? That will give you the answer you are looking for.
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:30 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I mean have you ever had someone look for matching frame VIN numbers when you had a car inspected... Usually the guys doing it are just glad to see a classic defender
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
I mean have you ever had someone look for matching frame VIN numbers when you had a car inspected... Usually the guys doing it are just glad to see a classic defender
replacement chassis come with no vin. Used chassis the vin is easily sanded off or better yet galvanized right over.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 19th, 2014, 10:18 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Yes. The SAPD detective who inspected my truck took the time to match VINs from the M/C bracket, the seat box, and the frame. He even rubbed off the Waxoyl to see it more clearly. I had nothing to hide so it was no big deal.

/
/
/
/
Old February 20th, 2014, 11:22 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Were you getting classic or historical plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Yes. The SAPD detective who inspected my truck took the time to match VINs from the M/C bracket, the seat box, and the frame. He even rubbed off the Waxoyl to see it more clearly. I had nothing to hide so it was no big deal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
restoration