FAO:Buckon37 or any air tank user... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 1st, 2005, 05:35 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Question FAO:Buckon37 or any air tank user...

Quote:
The best deal on a power tank is to not buy one! Buy a Diving tank from a diving supply store and then get a regulator from a Party supply store. This is what I did and got everything for $100. I run the air locker and fill tires off of it with supplies from HD. I can fill a 37in tire from 8psi to 25 in about a minute or minute and 30. The mounting plate was separate and runs about $30 (David)
Ok.
It's about time to install my ARBs (bought last November...oerr...!)
and I'm in love with the pneumatic setups some people use.

Other than sourcing switches from GCR (which seems not to check emails?wrong address?)

my main issue is the tank.
I have an air tank from a MB lorry but not as big as a diving tank.
I should be able to source the regulator and fittings.

I'd just like to hear what's the ideal tank capacity (lts) to run the lockers and pump up tires
before hitting the tarmac from your experiences.

Maybe my alu tank is enough to suit my (modest) needs,I don't run on 35"

Ta!

P.S.
Oh,sure nice pics of various setups (switches i.e.) would be useful
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2005, 08:14 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Michele, you say you have a air tank from a lorry (truck)? They are not the same as what Dave is talking about. Using a SCUBA type tank or power tank is different from running an normal compressed air tank. The SCUBA/Power tank is filled yo about 3000 psi and refilled normally by a welding shop. The Lorry tank setup is normally filled by an on board air compressor and running no more then 125psi. Both will fill your needs but as to which you use is up to you. The SCUBA/power tank setup is good in that you only have the tank, no compressor but it needs to be recharged after so many uses. The Compressor setup is good in that you have an endless supply of air but you have to mount a compressor someplace and depending on the compressor it may take more time to fill the tires. Most people around here run air tanks, they are easier to setup and use. I like the idea of an air compressor run by the engine, they will put out a good volume of air but it takes some doing getting one mounted under the hood. There are also electric compressors, the good ones require allot of power to run.
Old July 1st, 2005, 08:35 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Hey Mike!

I attached a couple of pics of the alu lorry tank as it is now.

Yup,concerning to the pressures they are 2 different things,
that's why I'm searching out a diving tank or similar.
Living close to a lake it'd be not difficult to find one for the job
and I may have a re-filling point 15 mins far from me.

But how big?

I'm not skilled in scuba diving but I presume there are different sizes on the market...
...what's the right size for an easy fit & moderate use?

At high pressure even a small one should allow a lot of refills/locks I think?

That's it...

Edited to say that:I have that little ARB comp (remember?)
so at least I'll keep it...but the fully pneumatic setup would be sexy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airtank_side1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	3376   Click image for larger version

Name:	airtankside2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	3377  

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2005, 09:02 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The Power tanks are either 10 or 15lb I think. How low do you drop your tires and what size are they? If you are not going too low and they are not that big I am sure you could get away with a small tank and you would be fine. I know on most trail rides Jimmy will go through a 10lb tank, but he is filling 10 or 15 tires and he will also have to reset the bead on a few also.
Old July 1st, 2005, 09:07 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Those rubber straps that are holding down your lorry current tank--what are they? They look very handy to have!
Old July 1st, 2005, 09:14 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
@ Mike:just checked out on Ebay Italy and used scuba tanks start from 100Euros...ouch...

@ Davis:contact Don @ Endroad.
Try a search for an old post of mine with the link.
They're definitely! very handy
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:57 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

I had seen those rubber clamps on scorpion racings site and really wanted them but couldn't find them in the states. Just stumbled across this today. Hopefully it might help a couple people including myself.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...hdx&hasJS=true
Old July 1st, 2005, 04:19 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Arrow

I don't have the time to check your link out at the mo
but why not to buy direct?
They're made in US,shoot Don a mail
site here

He's quick to ship and offered a bit of discount on limited quantities to me.
Nice to deal with.

One of my best/cheap buys.
Recommended and works great.

Now,back to my tank please
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old July 2nd, 2005, 04:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I have a 5 LBS tank. The smaller on, I think 10 is the larger size. Mine runs the air locker and inflates 4 37in tires from 8psi to 30 or so twice before I need to recharge it. Not bad, it would probably be good for you with smaller tires. I ran all the air lines with stuff from Home Depot and it works very well, all with quick disconnects. If you want pictures I can take some but it is pretty standard stuff. Hope this helps.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 4th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Smile

Hey David,
thanks for the infos!
5lbs then,it'd be well enough for me and my tiny tires

If you don't mind and want to add some pic
they're welcome,I have a couple of shots of your 90 BTW

As for the bits and pneumatic switches (!)
I tried to contact GCR by email but no avail,
so it seems I'll have to try an do an international
call ($)...hoping my spoken English is still in shape

Thanks!
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions