FAN Stopped? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:10 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

FAN Stopped?

Hi,

Probably a stupid question..........

Should that radiator fan that you can see thru the front grill of the truck be spinning with the engine running, or is it just an aux. fan??

I noticed mine was still with the engine running today. I swear I always remember that fan running when the engine was running. Either I am crazy and that is just an aux. fan, OR that fan should be running?

I have been driving the truck around and it seems to be running fine, and the temperature gauge does not seem to be overheating at all. Perhaps that is just because of the cold weather, and I am lucky this problem happened in the winter?

I am also having an off and on heat problem, that now I wonder if it is related to this fan.........put my mind at ease and at least tell me if this fan should always be running with the engine on...

Thoughts?

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I think this fan is to aid cooling when the a/c is running. Although I could be wrong.
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:15 AM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Richard is correct, assuming you have the A/C kit or at least part of it installed.

That fan is for when the A/C is running or when a thermostatic switch has it turn on to aid in cooling air flow. It's part of the A/C kit. With the A/C condenser heat exchanger mounted in front of the engine's radiator, flow is restricted compared to a non-A/C truck. When the engine is running really hot, this fan assists the engine-driven, viscous-coupling fan to ensure adequate air flow.

After I reinstalled my 97's A/C kit, in order to test the switch's proper operation, I just parked the truck and ran it for a while to make it hot and waited for the fan to come on. It was summer in FL and took a while. I remember it being about 215F on my VDO gauge, but it was a long time ago.

If your engine-driven fan seen in the engine bay isn't turning at all, then you have a problem.

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I do have the A/C on my truck! So I guess I don't have problem with this fan.

Just to be clear - this is the fan you see thru the grill in the front of the truck? The engine-driven fan that Chris is talking about is INSIDE the engine, and the hood would have to be open to see it??

Thanks for all the help. When I saw the fan still.............I just panicked I guess

Flagg
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Yep-

The fan you can see through the front/grill on the front side of the radiator is the electrically-driven A/C fan. The bigger fan, surrounded by a shroud between the radiator and engine itself and driven by the coupling attached to the coolant pump shaft/pulley, is the engine-driven one. If that one were never turning, you'd be hosed.

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Thank you Chris!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan