Fan replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 26th, 2004, 11:46 AM
davedeojay
David Deojay

Fan replacement

Hi, I was running a set of Ken Low Electric fans in my 94 Defender. I was at my local shop for a head gasket job and they pointed out that sometime in the future my radiator would need replacement or repair. Now seemed as good of time as any so I took my radiator to a local shop expecting a repair and to add one more core. When I picked it up they (I guess being generous) had added at least two cores filling up my radiator completely now my Ken Lows don't fit between the engine and the radiator. Can anyone suggect a thiner "pulling fan" or perhaps a "pushing fan" I could mount in the front ?? Would a Land Rover a/c fan do the job ?? Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2004, 12:02 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Might want to check out the flexi-a-lite 210. Or the flexi-a-lite family if fans. http://store.summitracing.com/esecti...500+4294924499 I have the Be Cool BCI-75007
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:07 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

About the flex-a-lite fans, or any electric fans for that matter, do you have to do anything special when crossing deep water? Do you somehow seal up the wires or are they already made to handle that kind of water?
Thanks!
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I turn mine off for deep water, not only does it save the fans but it keeps water from being sprayed on the Distributer.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

But as for all the wires, is there anything to worry about? Basically I am just wondering if the fans are waterproof right out of the box.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:49 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

They are pretty good and if you tape up all your connections you should be good, the stock wiring harness is more prone to water then the fans.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:52 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I'm just about to add a core to my radiator & had the same concern (I have aftermarket electric fans). I will have to make sure the guys add only ONE core!

How many cores are in the stock radiator - two or three? Without the cap it's hard to just look in and count..
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:57 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I am pretty sure the stock has 3 cores. I would think that the Flexalights would fit with a 4 core radiator. If not you could get pushers instead of pullers but I think they would be harder to mount.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 01:32 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Maybe I just dont understand the logistics of all this but here are a few thoughts.

My 95 has A/C, so it has a pusher fan, which seems to fit in there fine in the front.
As far as electric fans, isnt it a smarter proposition to have them as pushers...than pullers, since the heat is an enemy of these things?

...just a thought.

-arbi
Old March 23rd, 2005, 01:45 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Pullers seem to work better then pushers. The little pusher AC fan is small next to the Flexalite and less powerful. If you have AC it wold be very hard to mount the fan in front as a pusher. The AC pusher fan helps but you will have much better cooling without the AC system in there.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:00 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Good to know.
Thanks for the info Mike.
Like I said..I dont have any practical experiance with this truck..but in Jeepin'..folks usually opted for pushers..due to the heat issue.

Another thing to consider (and I dont mean to hi-jack this thread)
I read about these metal fan blades..that you can replace your stock plastic ones with, so they dont self distruct.
Just in case you decide to go back to stock configuration.

-arbi

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, fan