Fan Clutch Replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
JMPDIV82
Gregg O'Neill
97/D90

Angry Fan Clutch Replacement

I believe I need a new fan clutch for my 90 (Engine 4.6 HSE).
I have called NAPA, Advance Auto, Fairfax Auto and Auto Zone, with not luck. I would hate to give the Stealership business but I am running out of options. Is there anyone in NOVA that can point me in the right direction?

Key info on my 90
Engine 4.6 HSE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Have you tried Rovers North and AB? I'd think they could have the right one to you in a day or two. Worst case, call roversland on Eisenhower Ave. in Alexandria and see if they have one in stock.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have one in my garage that was from my truck with less than 50K on the clock... I am sure it is the same one, double check but I can ship it off tomorrow or Monday. I would take about $100 shipped.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Is it any different than the one on a 4.0/Disco engine? Might be easier to find that.

Also, are you sure it's bad? Just asking because you say "I believe"

charles
Old December 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
JMPDIV82
Gregg O'Neill
97/D90

Guys

I might be jumping the gun. Before I buy parts I need to verify my diagnosis. All the symptoms are pointing in that direction.. Reduced power/performance and loud fan noise when accelerating.

As a new comer to "The Source" and to the Defender world it's nice to have that support when necessary. Your counseling and advance is always a comfort when I tell the wife I need to spend $$ fixing the 90.

Merry Christmas All

Gregg
Old December 26th, 2007, 08:51 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I took a look at Gregg's truck today. The fan clutch will rotate about a quarter turn with the normal resistance you'd expect from a good clutch, and then seizes and wont turn any further (without turning the pulley). Afaik there are no serviceable parts in them, but I'm curious how it could have seized. Does anyone know if maybe taking a BFH to it to free it up would do the trick?

charles
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:50 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

I replaced the viscous fan clutch on my 95 RRC, which is the same one used on the 97 Defender.

It's a fairly streight forward process, got the part from AB, borrowed the fan clutch wrench (36mm) from Autozone.

position the wrench and use a hammer to tap the handle end, the impact should release the nut.

The only real problem that I encountered was taking the screws to seperate the fan blade and clutch due to rust. I needed a imact screw driver at the end.

btw, have you checked http://www.rangerovers.net? LOTS valuable informtion.

one thing in particular:
if you have a '95 Classic or Defender with the serpentine belt, you are lucky. "Go to Autozone and ask for the fan clutch for a 1998 Chevy Blazer, engine 4.3l V6 with a/c. Part number is : Regular duty 922744 : $ 59.99 Extreme duty 922786 (old #215158) : $66.99 -- this is the one recommended for LR use.

Good luck.
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:55 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah baby. That's what I'm talking about.

John, is it a normal right handed thread or left handed, I can't remember.

Gregg, get the chevy part and rent the wrench kit, and I'll help you if needed.

Thanks John, and happy holidays!
charles
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:00 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

No problem Charles, learned lots informatiom from this wonderful forum and just glad to be able to contribute.

This is from www.rangerovers.net as well.
To remove the clutch from the drove shaft you just turn the 36mm nut on the front of it. The direction can be figured out by the fact that the thread is designed to tighten itself when the engine drives the fan. SO look at the fan blades and figure out which way the engine turns. Then turn the nut the same way to loosen it.

And here is the link: http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...ystem/fan.html

Happy holidays.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, clutch, fan, fan clutch