Fan Clutch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 4th, 2006, 04:36 PM
TurkD90
Nedim Aruz
1995 D90 SW

Fan Clutch

I was wondering if there is a quick and easy way to diagnose if my fan clutch is working properly.

The reason i ask is during low road speed my temp gauge begins to creep towards the red...never in the red but it does sweep about 2/3s of the way.

Other than the low speed issues the truck runs nice and cool. Just drove from NYC to Cape Cod and back and it never went past half way??

Not sure if it matters but I have a 95 D90 SW (5spd) with 78k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2006, 05:05 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
If I remember correctly, if the fan is spinning at a constant rate no matter what RPM, or is not spinning, then the fan clutch probably needs replacing. Mine was spinning at a constant rate even a high revs. Gauge was rising slowly. Replaced it with OEM, using the fan clutch tool (large spanner).
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Do you hear something like a jet engine when the motor is hot and you are reving the engine away from a stop?
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The symptoms sounds like a bad fan clutch to me as well.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:27 AM
TurkD90
Nedim Aruz
1995 D90 SW

so before taking my D90 out (it was sitting in the garage since last Sunday) I popped the hood and tried to spin the fan. Nada...wouldn't spin just moved an inch and stopped. Then I started the truck and saw the fan spinning away. Drove out to the LI beaches...only when I hit some traffic did the temp begin to creep.

When a fan clutch goes does it stay "connected"...for some reason I though it was the opposite? That said why would the truck get warm if the fan is engaged?

If it is the clutch..is it a fairly easy repair?

Anyone got a good place for parts beside Atlantic British (do i need OEM)?

Do i need anything other than normal hand tools? Spanner?

Thanks for the advice.
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:27 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Nedim, I have the fan clutch tool you can borrow, it makes removal of the clutch much easier.

I also have a spare fan clutch from my DI but I would have to check if it will fit the D90.
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:38 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkD90
Not sure if it matters but I have a 95 D90 SW (5spd) with 78k
Assuming you checked that your fan clutch is working.
- It will probably not hurt to flush the cooling circuit. I heard many times people having clogged radiators (usually due to using the wrong coolant). If you suspect a clogged radiator, remove it from the truck, fill it with acid (careful, that's dangerous and proper precautions need to be taken, proper disposal is also required!) to unclog it. You could also have some air in the cooling system.
- Someone also mentioned that a lot of dirt can get between the A/C radiator and the cooling radiator.
- as a last resort, make sure your water pump works.... but I never heard of a broken water pump that does not leak or make noise.

2 cents,
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM
TurkD90
Nedim Aruz
1995 D90 SW

John,

Thanks for the offer...Im probably going to take you up on that. My mom has a house up in Chappaqua...
Ill be up there this weekend doing some other things but maybe I can swing by or we can meet up.

Also, Ill see if i can figure out if the D1 and D90 fan clutches are swappable. Im assuming that it was from a D1 with a 3.9. Do you have the part #?

Thanks, Nedim
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I also have a spare fan clutch from my DI but I would have to check if it will fit the D90."

Will not fit. It is serp, your D90 is non-serp.
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:26 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Home Made Fan Clutch Removal Tool:

BF Hammer with large flat head screwdriver. Use BFH and screwdriver to 'knotch' fan clutch bolt. Position screw driver to catch the new knotch, and one good whack should get the clutch spinning off freely. Takes all of 30 seconds, every time. Remember tis reverse threaded.
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:39 PM
CGunther
Christian Gunther
'94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
- Someone also mentioned that a lot of dirt can get between the A/C radiator and the cooling radiator.
Can someone give me a rundown on the relationship to the A/C system and primary cooling system? I have been running my air a bit for the first time in a while, and I noticed that now when I am not my temp is creeping up. I think I might have clogged something.
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:05 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkD90
John,

Thanks for the offer...Im probably going to take you up on that. My mom has a house up in Chappaqua...
Ill be up there this weekend doing some other things but maybe I can swing by or we can meet up.

Also, Ill see if i can figure out if the D1 and D90 fan clutches are swappable. Im assuming that it was from a D1 with a 3.9. Do you have the part #?

Thanks, Nedim
Yep, from a 3.9... funny thing is that it fits my 4.0 DI also.... part # ERC5708

Stop by anytime on the weekend, we can swap the fan clutch and see if it helps.

Last winter a friend of mine calls me, he just had his water pump replaced by a shop in the Bronx and he was leaking coolant. So I drove into Manhattan to see what the problem was. Turns out the f'ing idiots at the shop used a hammer or a chissel to remove the fan clutch and bent the shaft on the water pump. The shaft had actually carved a hole in the water pump and that's where it was leaking from.
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:22 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGunther
Can someone give me a rundown on the relationship to the A/C system and primary cooling system? I have been running my air a bit for the first time in a while, and I noticed that now when I am not my temp is creeping up. I think I might have clogged something.
When you turn on the A/C, an auxiliary electric fan is enabled. You can see it through the front grille.
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:10 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Turns out the f'ing idiots at the shop used a hammer or a chissel to remove the fan clutch and bent the shaft on the water pump. The shaft had actually carved a hole in the water pump and that's where it was leaking from.
It appears one must take care when using the BFH. I've removed the fan from my vehicle several times with this method, and I've had no problems with my water pump.
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:07 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Bought the two large spanners to take the fan clutch off. Made the job easy, although it was a tight fit for the spanners.

Quote:
[Last winter a friend of mine calls me, he just had his water pump replaced by a shop in the Bronx and he was leaking coolant. So I drove into Manhattan to see what the problem was. Turns out the f'ing idiots at the shop used a hammer or a chissel to remove the fan clutch and bent the shaft on the water pump. The shaft had actually carved a hole in the water pump and that's where it was leaking from.]

Sound like the premium Rover shop in the Bronx. The bad shops, you'd be lucky to get your Rover back with wheels or engine.
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:05 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

FYI-
you can get the correct size thin spanners from bike shops for a 1/4 the price.
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:32 PM
TurkD90
Nedim Aruz
1995 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
Yep, from a 3.9... funny thing is that it fits my 4.0 DI also.... part # ERC5708

Stop by anytime on the weekend, we can swap the fan clutch and see if it helps.

Last winter a friend of mine calls me, he just had his water pump replaced by a shop in the Bronx and he was leaking coolant. So I drove into Manhattan to see what the problem was. Turns out the f'ing idiots at the shop used a hammer or a chissel to remove the fan clutch and bent the shaft on the water pump. The shaft had actually carved a hole in the water pump and that's where it was leaking from.
John...are you around on sunday am? Also, how much do you want for the fan clutch?

Thanks, Nedim
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:32 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO
When you turn on the A/C, an auxiliary electric fan is enabled. You can see it through the front grille.
In addition, if your cooling liquid temperature goes too high, the A/C fan is supposed to turn on automatically.
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:48 AM
bd90
Brian
94 Arles Blue #1644

what size wrenches to buy?

d90 User/ Steve, your mail box is full and I couldn't PM you. What size bike shop wrenches do you need to remove the clutch? There's two, right? Can they also be purchased at an auto parts store? Just dont know what size. THanks in advance, Brian.
Old August 30th, 2006, 07:19 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
My mailbox is not full! :-)
I never had to remove my fan on the D90, but on my Disco (4.0L), I just used a adjustable wrench and it worked for me..... But barely but it fits! 8-)
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, fan, fan clutch