Fan blower switch not working - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:38 PM
Fan blower switch not working

Is this common, Should I check the switch or is it a fuse, or do the heaters go out. Had to tackle this issue in my RR so not sure where to start. Previous owner said it was intermittent, but I get nothing.

Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:38 PM
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000
Yes it is common. The design is a POS. The system is fairly simple. It is either a fuse, the switch, the rheostat or a wire. Good luck, I hate Land Rover electrical problems.

:O [==] O:
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:03 AM
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW
Assuming you've already "jiggled" the controls and eliminated them as a problem...

It could be water in the blower motor, as in my case. Is the fuse blown? If so then:

open the hood and disconnect the plug to the blower
replace the fuse
work the switch and see if you get power at the plug
check the blower for resistance

If you reconnect the plug and blow the fuse again then I would look at removing the blower and checking for water. It is a pain. No need to remove hoses, just flip the whole assembly up (remove the hood, much easier) and unscrew the motor.

Spray the blower motor with WD40 and let it dry completely. I drilled extra weep holes at the low point and even removed the rubber drain valve before the blower; it just collects crap and clogs up quickly.
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:26 AM

Aaron ,I am sure you know that the blower motor does not turn on until the last two indents of its range. When i bought my truck , I didnt know that the first few indents only allow for ram air flow. In any case the lever is weak and bends way to easily. JP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

fan, switch