Fake Lucas parts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 1st, 2015, 11:22 AM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

Fake Lucas parts

I was looking for a hazard light switch the other day and was told to pay more for one made in the UK as Lucas had switched production to India and the stuff from there was junk.
A friend in the UK happened to meet a Lucas rep and he said that fake Lucas boxes had been made and very low grade repro switches are being put in them and sold as genuine.
I found a UK Lucas for 50 UK pounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2015, 11:27 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the "new" turn dip/horn switch on Trey's 83 died after only a couple of months. I buy enough parts I couldn't recall where it came from So I called Zack and got a Lucas one. Gotta say, I still wasn't impressed with how the switches feel on the 2nd "new" one as compared to some of the 30yr old ones I have had.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:29 AM
javelinadave
-
-

The Yugo was a knockoff or a Fiat so why not make knockoff Lucas parts.:roll eyes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2015, 01:18 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
The Yugo was a knockoff or a Fiat so why not make knockoff Lucas parts.:roll eyes
In this case, maybe the knock offs would be better. Lol
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:32 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post

Oddly I was thinking the same thing. If it's not better it probably would be at least comparable in quality.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:35 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I recently installed a Lucas reversing light switch and one of the contacts snapped off the switch when I installed it.

It is now a useless, expensive plug for the reversing light switch hole in my LT77
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:43 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjva View Post
I was looking for a hazard light switch the other day and was told to pay more for one made in the UK as Lucas had switched production to India and the stuff from there was junk.
A friend in the UK happened to meet a Lucas rep and he said that fake Lucas boxes had been made and very low grade repro switches are being put in them and sold as genuine.
The laughable thing here is that you believe something made in India would be worse quality than something made in the UK ... Lucas probably offshored the work to increase quality! ;-)
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:01 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Does your it's made in India and therefore poor quality comment extent to cover other Indian owned products like Land Rover?
It bugs the shiat out of me when people say stuff like that.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:03 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjva View Post
Skip the Lucas or other brands all together, and go to a Carling Hazard and never look back:
http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/carling-hazard-switch.html

I did this recently on the 130, after it failed and I realized replacements were like $75-80USD. As such, I'm planning to replace the interior/dash lights switch with a Carling as well. Got a custom switch plate that should be done next month and will accept 3x Carling Switches in the lower dash down by the drivers knee (essentially a replacement for part #MTC2640). It'll make the changeover much less painful.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 1st, 2015, 02:18 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Does your it's made in India and therefore poor quality comment extent to cover other Indian owned products like Land Rover?
It bugs the shiat out of me when people say stuff like that.

My point is that there are fake parts in what looks to be a Lucas box being passed off as genuine Lucas parts.
If the part works I do not care where it is made.
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:50 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
You surely know that Lucas has been out of business for a long long time. There are no "new" Lucas items, only left over new stock that hasn't been sold.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:29 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
You surely know that Lucas has been out of business for a long long time. There are no "new" Lucas items, only left over new stock that hasn't been sold.
...or new production from whoever licenses the Lucas trademark from TRW. In the UK I believe it is Elta Lighting, an aftermarket auto electrics supplier, but I believe that others may use the Lucas name in other markets. My experience is wildly inconsistent quality in new Lucas, from a really nice set of H4 headlights, comparable to Hella, to a silly expensive Series III wiper switch that lasted maybe 3 cycles before it quit and left the wipers on.
..tolerant Wife...
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:31 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Damn, beat me to it. :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
part, parts