FAILED Maryland Emissions test - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 14th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Solarguy,

So I looked up that 44K stuff. It seems to get pretty amazing reviews everywhere. I had never heard of it.

So maybe now my strategy is to run a few tanks of this thru it during the summer. And have it retested in September near my deadline.

Anyone else used this stuff?

Thanks,

FLAGG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2014, 09:34 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
I've used bg 44k. It's good stuff. It's even better if you run the bg fuel injector cleaner where a cleaner runs through the fuel rail and the engine runs off it. Then put the 44k in the tank after.
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

SOME GOOD NEWS:

I called the MVA today and asked some questions about getting historic tags. I told them I had a FAILED test, that I was going to try to rectify this summer.

So I asked them point blank - if I spend the $450 and FAIL again - could I still go for Historic tags. Or did I have to PASS before going Historic.

The lady I talked to said I totally could go historic, as long as the car is not a daily driver. If I spent the $450 - and could not pass - I get an exemption for another 2 years. If in that time, my car turns 20, and I want to go historic, they will not hold that failed against me, and I can totally do so. It is a simple 1 page form.

If this holds true - this is excellent. Now I know the worst case scenario is $450. Then I go historic.

Lets just hope that after driving around this summer, and maybe trying some of the ideas on this thread, it just passes!

But I do not drive the truck every day, and plan to go for historic tags, regardless.

FLAGG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2014, 02:12 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
Well………I have had this truck since new. Every two years it passes. Today it failed the idol test. I thought I had driven it around enough, and on the highway, before the test.

Here are the two areas I failed.

Emissions Reading: HC (ppm) was 185 / State standard is 175

CO % was 2.86 / State Standard is 1.00

-----------------

So now I have up to 4 months - then I can get a free retest. If I fail again, they give me 30 days every time it failed - no more free retests. Part of me says just wait 4 months and see if it fails, but if my test results are bad (I have no idea) - then that probably does not work.

If I fail again, but If I can prove I spent $450 on emissions, they will wave me for another 2 years. They gave me a list of 'certified' repair centers.

-----------------

ALSO - once the car is 20 years old (which would happen in the next 2 years), I could go for Historic Tags in Maryland - AND NEVER NEED TO BE TESTED AGAIN.

They say this means that I just can not drive the car every day - which I don't - so it does not sound like a big deal to me. Anyone thought of doing this??

-----------------

Opinions?

FLAGG
I'm truly sorry to hear about your dilemma. I would try the maintenance ideas that others have spoken about, I live in state that does not require inspections, I just hate to see all of these government regulations that restrict our freedoms, what happened to," life , liberty and the pursuit of happiness." I'm most happy while driving my 90. Good luck getting it sorted,
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:22 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
SOME GOOD NEWS:

I called the MVA today and asked some questions about getting historic tags. I told them I had a FAILED test, that I was going to try to rectify this summer.

So I asked them point blank - if I spend the $450 and FAIL again - could I still go for Historic tags. Or did I have to PASS before going Historic.

The lady I talked to said I totally could go historic, as long as the car is not a daily driver. If I spent the $450 - and could not pass - I get an exemption for another 2 years. If in that time, my car turns 20, and I want to go historic, they will not hold that failed against me, and I can totally do so. It is a simple 1 page form.

If this holds true - this is excellent. Now I know the worst case scenario is $450. Then I go historic.

Lets just hope that after driving around this summer, and maybe trying some of the ideas on this thread, it just passes!

But I do not drive the truck every day, and plan to go for historic tags, regardless.

FLAGG
Just curious, how do they know if you are using it as a daily driver?
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Would Historic tags cause problems insuring it to drive more than a few thousand miles a year?

I think you're on the right track trying to solve the emissions problem.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

So here is the deal IN MARYLAND:

You basically have to sign your name at the bottom of a form under the statement:

"I/we certify under oath that the vehicle will only be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. I/we further certify that this vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways."

For me - I have zero problem signing this. I enter a few car shows for fun once in a while. I drive the truck every 3-4 days. I don't really take any big trips in it anymore - but rather will do a day of local errands. It is not my primary car - and not my daily driver. It used to be for 7 years (I am the original owner)……but has not been for a long time.

There is no restriction on miles in Maryland. I have been to other sites and read about people who have done this and say it is totally the way to go.

So I have to get thru this emissions cycle - one way or another - and then if I can really go historic, no matter PASS OR FAIL, then I am set for sure.

This clearly seems like something to do.

And we should all do it, if we are in a state that allows it, when the car hits the required number of years. I don't want anyone to have to go through this FAILED emissions issue!

REALLY - This emissions thing, on a 19 year old truck, is ridiculous. Such a small percentage of the population even drives such an old car, that I really think this is just a money maker racket for a vehicle so old…..

FLAGG
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:07 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
If i may...Let's not get too crazy about discussing the interpretation of the law on this board. Asking questions like, "how do they know if..." is irrelevant and worse, will probably bring unwanted scrutiny based on the inevitable comments that follow. The law is the law and it is clear.
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:56 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Agreed, I mean if you get it to pass it's probably for the best. I would spend less time trying to circumvent and more time seeing why the emissions are off
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

AGREED.

I will definitely try to get it to PASS. That is by far the absolute best.

However I am still going historic when I can.

The 'law is the law'. Agreed.

YET - the law in Maryland seems to say that after 20 years I can have a car that is exempt from emission testing, IF THAT car is not driven daily, and I pay to register it with historic tags.

This whole process is teaching me 'the law'.

The way I drive and use my D90 - I would totally qualify for historic tags. I am very low mileage, do not drive the car every day, and some of that mileage is even going to car shows.

FLAGG
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Hey FLAGG - in order to get the tags you have to have ANOTHER fully registered car on your account to tell them that is your daily driver (or Motorcycle) - it can be a wife or kids...but you have to show one.
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:42 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just go and get the 44k. It works.
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:01 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Sorry man you need to stop using CAPS, you're reminding me of some hack that just got kicked off the board
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:50 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
High CO=not a clean burn. Could be spark, could be not enough air (or too much fuel for the air).
Anyway, you've gotten all the advice before. I'd do a simple tune up and get something to clean up the injectors. The law is the law but at the end of the day having a better running engine is still a good thing to have if you are in for the long run...
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old June 9th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I agree that doing a tune up would be the right thing, regardless of emissions.

----------------------------------

But check this out:

I just got a extension granted with a phone call by the MVA. That takes me up to 1/14/15.

I have confirmed that I can go historic as soon as it is 2015. No worry about the date it rolled off the assembly line - they go by calendar year.

Historic tags get you out of emissions. My vehicle is very low mileage and would qualify for historic tags. So maybe I will get out of being tested again.

Flagg
Old June 9th, 2014, 08:50 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Why are you trying so hard to avoid basic maintenance? Your truck will run much nicer. If it was running well it wouldn't fail so catastrophically.
Old June 9th, 2014, 09:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yeah quit being a cheapfuck spend a few hundred on a tuneup youll be amazed
Old June 9th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Rover4x4 - I think your message is out of line. I post on this board a lot. I love this board. I have never been called an obscene name before? What did I do to deserve that comment???

On this thread - I have thanked everyone for their advice. On my #35 comment above I stated:

"I agree that doing a tune up would be the right thing, regardless of emissions."

----------------------------

I still don't like going to emissions, waiting in line to be tested, having someone tell me to rev the engine for a period of time while sitting still, etc, etc. It is OK to want to avoid that???

Yes I am planning a tune up. Sorry for whatever I did to make you call me names.

FLAGG
Old June 9th, 2014, 09:50 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Rover4x4 - I think your message is out of line. I post on this board a lot. I love this board. I have never been called an obscene name before? What did I do to deserve that comment???

On this thread - I have thanked everyone for their advice. On my #35 comment above I stated:

"I agree that doing a tune up would be the right thing, regardless of emissions."

----------------------------

I still don't like going to emissions, waiting in line to be tested, having someone tell me to rev the engine for a period of time while sitting still, etc, etc. It is OK to want to avoid that???

Yes I am planning a tune up. Sorry for whatever I did to make you call me names.

FLAGG
Fwiw I don't think he meant anything insulting with the cheapf*ck comment...in fact I want to say at some point in 2013 I believe it was a commonly used term of endearment on this board for a bit and actually was one of the "highlights" of the year. I'm not joking!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 9th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Fwiw I don't think he meant anything insulting with the cheapf*ck comment...in fact I want to say at some point in 2013 I believe it was a commonly used term of endearment on this board for a bit and actually was one of the "highlights" of the year. I'm not joking!
haha, I second that! And Phil isn't a big guy I'll be happy to kick him in the dick for you next time we get a beer!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
maryland