Failed emissions - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2016, 09:53 PM
Nos4ra2
Nos4ra2
1995 NAS D90 #2489

The light does not come on when I first start car. I will check the bulb in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2016, 09:57 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

If it comes on after 10-15 minutes .. (I.e. Heated up) then Loose o2 sensor is possible.. That's when it switches from open to closed loop..
Pull the pass seat and check the code, 5 min max diagnosis

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old January 26th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Nos4ra2
Nos4ra2
1995 NAS D90 #2489

OK code 45, Every one was correct., but I noticed that the Electronic Fuel Injection Control is from a 95 Disco. could this be an issue, or are they all the same. Just a thought before I looking for the exact cause (hoping its an o2 sensor)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Sometimes code 45 can mean many different things. Start with searching the faults and start replacing the cheaper things first.
Old January 26th, 2016, 09:31 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

95 Disco uses the same engine management ECU, so should not be the issue (both are 3.9 engines, distributors, etc.. same as the Range Rover for that year).

couple of things to check for a CEL 45.
1) Damage to the O2 sensor body - if it looks beat up replace it - your drive shaft has hit it.
2) loose O2 sensor in the pipe.. 17mm wrench and check for tightness
3) loose at the engine side Plug - make sure it clicks in there good - if you can easy pull it out without squeezing the side clips - make sure the plug is seated all the way and does not come out - mine did this today basically a worn plastic plug - you can zip tie it together.
4) then Replace the O2

Do you know how to reset the codes on it?
1) open the passenger side cubby
2) locate the serial plug (its white with 4 pins - and is 2 pieces connected together. - just kinda hanging out near the ECU.. see picture attached )
3) ignition on (do not start the truck)
4) disconnect plug - wait 5 - 10 seconds - then reconnect.
5) turn off ignition - wait for the computer relay to drop out - you will hear a "Click"
6) turn ignition on (not started again) and check for codes again.. if none are present - then your reset, if there is another one it will now appear - Always do this if you see a CEL 44 - b/c there is usually a CEL 45 right behind it.

Other things that i have found cause CEL 45's
1) Corroded spark plug lead on the distributor - pull them one at a time and check - if you find some replace leads and Distributor cap.
2) leaking main hose (the big one from the MAF to the intake on the top of the engine.
3) Ignition amplifier
4) Coil (usually manifests as CEL 44 and $% with poor running then total cut out)
5) worn plug wires arcing on one cylinder (Passenger side in the case of CEL 45) - dumps fuel into the exhaust and causes backfires
6) exhaust leak Before the O2 sensor - where the header joins the exhaust down pipe.

... some others but those are the main ones that are easy to fix.

Serial Plug picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2894.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	140568  

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old January 26th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Nos4ra2
Nos4ra2
1995 NAS D90 #2489

I will start this week end. Please give me all your opinions. It suck having to deal with this but it is alway great to learn more about working a on defender.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions