Factory looking winch bumper help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 11th, 2007, 03:04 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Factory looking winch bumper help

I am trying to get a more factory look for the front of my Defender, don't ask me why. I guess I just like the crisp square look of the factory stuff these days, and I am looking for a change to the front end. I don't know.

Anyway, here is my problem. I currently have the ARB setup, with 12,000lb Warn winch. I want to keep my winch, but use the wrap around factory brushbar, and factory bumper. Okay, RN says this can't be done without using the low profile kit, which looks okay in their catalog, but not so great on some pics around here.

So I look at Mantec and really like the look of it.

The Mantec bumper looks like it would work great, but it will fit only a superwinch, which has red stuff on it, and I don't want that on my blue truck. Besides, I already have a very nice Warn 12000lb that is in perfect condition.

RN says mantec doesn't make one for my Warn. So, my option is to sell my 12 and buy a 9, which sucks.
Even then, the factory brushguard won't fit (so I'm told) because the lower bar on the brushguard might hit the winch.

Any suggestions?

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2007, 03:08 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Have rockware make you one with sqared ends like the factory unit or talk to Ike at www.pangolin4x4.com
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Ike's bumpers rock. Also shipman's design makes some nice ones.
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2007, 03:26 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I have contacted Ike to see what he can come up with. He seems like a very nice guy. Anything else you think of please post. Thanks for the input!

97 D90 SW
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:42 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

I think you are looking for a superwinch bumper or rovers north's copy of it (which I use).
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:49 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

One of our club members just listed this for sale:

http://solaros.com/smf_production/in...p?topic=2155.0

He brought in some of the WVA stuff from England in a container - good heavy duty pieces.
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

i have a RN copy of the camel trophy super winch bumper for sale....i specially ordered it as a blank and i then cut the fairlead hole and drilled the foot print for an XD9000i, and welded on tabs for the factory A bar.... very good condition...never off-roaded, was on my garage queen 90 before i sold it...never even been in the rain... been in storage since 2000.... should have plenety of space for a M12...you may need to redrill the foot print holes... this is EXACTLY what you are looking for....

$350 plus shipping....
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:03 PM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

At one time I wanted to do the same thing. I found a local fabricator that was willing to alter my stock bumper and wrap around brushguard to fit my S9000. He wanted like $325 to do the fab work.

I changed my mind and went with a Rockware after he pointed that while it might look nice and factory when done it would still be very weak. He talked himself out of a sale but I appreciated his honesty and love my Rockware.

Anyway, you could find a local fabricator to alter your stock brushguard to fit your winch. Cost would be pretty reasonable but you would still have a weak front bumper.
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:25 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyman
i have a RN copy of the camel trophy super winch bumper for sale....i specially ordered it as a blank and i then cut the fairlead hole and drilled the foot print for an XD9000i, and welded on tabs for the factory A bar.... very good condition...never off-roaded, was on my garage queen 90 before i sold it...never even been in the rain... been in storage since 2000.... should have plenety of space for a M12...you may need to redrill the foot print holes... this is EXACTLY what you are looking for....

$350 plus shipping....
How about some pics for me?

Follow-up Post:

.....Lyman I sent you an email.

Email to shawnpalmer@bellsouth.net

97 D90 SW
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Yes but the RN will not fit a M12000
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

cut and weld then....no big deal... price is right...
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Price is definatly right!!!!

I think it maybe quite difficult to fit that M12000 in there if it is anything like the one I have.
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Lyman
Lyman Saltsman
1987 Rokon Ranger

it fits a husky boat anchor....it should be close for an M12.... i told him to send me dimensions of his winch...i'll pull it out of storage (no easy task...it's behind 7 years of rover accumulation...) and measure it for him....
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:05 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I use a warn 8k with the stock bumper. Don't know if it will fit a 12K but it might. You have to mount the winch upside down but otherwise it works fine. All you need is an adapter plate and I happen to have an extra one I can sell to you. There is a picture of the front end of my truck somewhere around here let me look for it

Follow-up Post:

mine is the green SW
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...achmentid=6077
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
I use a warn 8k with the stock bumper. Don't know if it will fit a 12K but it might. You have to mount the winch upside down but otherwise it works fine. All you need is an adapter plate and I happen to have an extra one I can sell to you. There is a picture of the front end of my truck somewhere around here let me look for it

Follow-up Post:

mine is the green SW

Off topic, but how have you not destroyed that thing?!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM
vesparover
brian bertolini

I might have one to trade

I have a nice setup for a warn winch, and would trade for yours. I'll post some pics.
Thanks
Brian
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:32 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Quote:

Follow-up Post:

mine is the green SW
I wonder if that could work. Can you post a pic of the mount? does the roller fairlead attach to the mount?

97 D90 SW
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:39 AM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

Quote:

Follow-up Post:

mine is the green SW
What year is your truck? I was interested in one of those mounts but I was told your could not run one on a '97 because of the oil cooler lines (I think that was why but it might of been something else in the way)

Old January 16th, 2007, 07:48 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Mine is a 95. As Buckon37s alluded to, it is not as strong as your ARB set up. THen again I personally don't think it's quite as important since most of my wheeling is in the east. I will post a more detailed pic as soon as I can, the truck is the country and i'm currently working in NYC so maybe friday or saturday. As far as I remember, yes the fairlead does attach tot he mount. If you have a skid plate, you will have to cut a small hole towards the front of the plate in order to access the winch clutch lever. (winch is upside down) I'm not sure about the issues with mounting on a 97. I don't recall ever hearing that it was an issue. U might have heard that it can't be done right side-up as is the case with a 95, but flipping it over fixes all issues.
Old January 21st, 2007, 06:30 AM
Kev Baldwin
Kevin Baldwin
2.4 Tdci 110 Utilty Wagon

Devon 4x4 in the UK do this off the shelf replacement that should do the job. Don't know whether they have a distributor in the US though.
http://www.devon4x4.com/shop.php?mod...ew&product=213

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, bumper, factory, winch