Fabrication of an Extended Pickup Cab - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Fabrication of an Extended Pickup Cab

I have seen a few of these over the years. I understand what goes into moving the rear bulkhead. My issue is the top. Anyone know how they are getting the extra 9 to 10 inches in length. Are they using the rear of a pickup cab top and mating it to a cutoff station wagon top. Hate to reinvent the wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extended-pickup-cab.jpg
Views:	3306
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	34480  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

There is an ad in the latest (Dec) issue of LRM that mentions them for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Chris to get the length shown in your picture you would have to fabricate one from a truck cab rear and a long roof frontend by using a joggler(panel stepper) to set the seam between the two.

I have seen some perfect ones done like this, hope your creative with the headlining, you do see them for sale over here but they are normally factory double cabs.

check out retrofits DC its for sale on the board at the mo.

A good new year to all

Gren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Andrew - company names? Still need to source a Dec copy of LRM.
Old January 4th, 2011, 09:45 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I'm pondering one as well.
While I haven't gotten too far into it I figure using the front from a SW top, but I haven't checked to see if it is long enough. The filler plates on the side should be easy to make and I'd like windows in mine.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:48 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

The way the rear section angles forward caused issues for me when I had my pickup cab installed since the headrest would not allow the seat to go back fully. If I were to remove the headrest the seat would go back just fine and I would fit in it comfortably

I can see why people are extending the cab, but I had a little different idea of how to get more space. My plan was to make the rear section go straight up and extend the roof a few inches as that would give me more headroom without messing with the bulkhead.

Kind of silly / odd how rover has it slant as it takes a bunch of headroom away
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:06 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Sheep farmers must be really short.... Like, shorter than me!

I actually thought of leaving some sort of "tray" behind the headrest and leaving the bulkhead alone. But the bulkhead will be easy enough to move in my next projetc.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old January 10th, 2011, 12:15 AM
d110pickup
Mike Pado
'97 D90 ST #1153

Chris,
Do you have any other photos of the blue Defender in your first post? Or a link?
Thanks,
Mike
Old January 10th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

It a swiss vehicle. I do have some photos, although I should probably get permission before pushing them on the internet. I did speak with the shop that did the work. It has an LS engine, toyota axles, brilliant workmanship. The expended cab was from two pickup cabs cut and TIG welded together. He said in the future, he would probably use a crew cab top and shorten it - he thought it would be easier.
Old January 10th, 2011, 07:31 PM
d110pickup
Mike Pado
'97 D90 ST #1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
It a swiss vehicle. I do have some photos, although I should probably get permission before pushing them on the internet. I did speak with the shop that did the work. It has an LS engine, toyota axles, brilliant workmanship. The expended cab was from two pickup cabs cut and TIG welded together. He said in the future, he would probably use a crew cab top and shorten it - he thought it would be easier.
Yeah, form the one photo it looks top notch.
Any information you can give me will be appreciated.
Mike
Old April 9th, 2011, 06:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I have a pickup cab top for sale (just the top) if anyone is interested.
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I managed to get a couple pickup cab tops and a couple SW tops and when I get to that stage I'm off to find someone to TIG weld some aluminum. Unfortunately, that is fairly late on the to do list.
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The Double Cab tops are a bit expensive and getting hard to find. I would think that you could get two D90 tops, one truck cab and one stationwagon, and get what you need to extend one. I have seen some, extended cabs and Double Cabs, that have the regular stationwagon rear top section but that may not be the look you are after. I am building a double cab and made a new rear Bulkhead out of 1/4 aluminum. I thought the one I had, which looked sort of stock, was too flimsy. Mine also does not angle down giving more storage under/behind the seat. I would think that the main thing would be to maintain the structure of the bulkheads location if you choose to move it rearward. It would be like a 110 wagon or a NAS truck. You can get the spreader bar to replace the bulkhead in the UK or maybe some vendors here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions