fabbing sway bar mounts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 13th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Joe Zinter
fabbing sway bar mounts

Set-up I’m building: coil sprung series 3 88”, V8, r380, lt230, disco axles, designa chassis. For suspension I planned on using stock d90 springs and bilsteins (why? b/c I have them), so my set-up would be pretty similar to a stock d90.

This truck will be my daily driver. For safety I want to add front and rear sway bars, but I’ll have to add the sway bar mounts to the chassis. I have the front and rear bars and links from a Disco I (same as d90 I think). The front sway bar mount should be relatively easy to fit… the problem is this:

The frame rails in the rear of the designa chassis are similar to those on a series chassis… they go straight back (when viewed from the side)... put another way, they are parallel to the ground. A d90 and disco chassis dip (curve) down behind the rear axle. So the sway bar bracket on the d90 and disco chassis is about 2-3 inches in height. To have the sway bar sit in the same location on my coiler, I would need to make the chassis sway bar mount about 6-7 inches in height… I forget the exact amount, but it looks pretty silly.

I don’t know much about this stuff, but I think the sway bar should be close to parallel with the ground and the sway bar link should be perpendicular to the bar (transmits the downward force better)

Is there a better way to do this?

Which sway bar has more impact, front or rear? Is there any benefit to running with just a frnt sway bar?

Does anybody sell extended sway bar links?

Old September 13th, 2007, 01:26 PM
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel
I put an extended range fuel tank in my 110, I had to extend the rear swaybar mount down to allow it to mount under the larger tank.

I used a piece of steel square tube that was the same size as the swaybar mount, drilled holes and got longer bolts, bolted it up and it works great. Cheap too.

When I was wheeling in NC, my rear springs still unseated fine with the swaybar attached that way.
72 Series III 109 SW Diesel, 03 RR, 98 Porsche 986, 01 Porsche 986 3.6 L

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions