EZ wire kits? anyoine try em? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 6th, 2018, 10:57 PM
caj13
Carl
D-90 SW # 434

EZ wire kits? anyoine try em?

Given the outstanding reliability and outstanding reputation of the defender electrical systems, I am thinking about what to do if/when I start seeing gremlins showing up.
My buddy has used EZ Wire Kits
EZ Wiring E-Store - Shop Home
in several of his projects, essentially pull out all the wires, put in the EZ wire system. 18 fuses, 21 circuits, all the wires are color coded and labelled every 5 inches, you just take the appropriate wire to the correct location, and attach it. That sounds a whole lot more appealing that trying to figure out wire diagrams, and chase down what is almost assuredly multiple shorts and ground issues, along with PO jury rigging. .

Not interested in Historical accuracy - just reliability

any feedback would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2018, 11:24 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
At $185 makes me want to buy it just to see the quality.

I spent hours doing my Series and it was a PITA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 7th, 2018, 06:44 AM
Jonesy
Craig
NADA

Registry
Never done or seen EZ....used Painless, just got the waterproof one for my new build...it rocks
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2018, 10:16 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Yes...these guys are located 15 minutes from me. I went and picked up the harness in person and had my S1 completely rewired. Good quality and you can't beat the price.
Old January 7th, 2018, 11:26 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
My truck used to be an ambulance in the UK, so it had a bunch of random cut wires all over the truck from when they removed the lights, and what remained seemed very mis-matched. I said screw trying to figure out what everything was, and ripped every single wire out of the truck, including the fuse panel.

I bought the Highway 22 kit (universal) from American Autowire. Cost about $450, which puts it in the same neighborhood as a comparable Painless universal kit.

My dad helped me install it, and he was thoroughly impressed with the quality. This was after he paid more for the Ron Francis kit he installed in his '40 Pontiac, which had fewer circuits. The lead engineer who designs the fuse panels for American Autowire is the same guy who designed the fuse panels for Ron Francis Wiring, as well.

https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...nel-wiring-kit
Old January 7th, 2018, 02:19 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Never done or seen EZ....used Painless, just got the waterproof one for my new build...it rocks
That's the brand I was trying to remember... Painless.

My brother has used them in the past and X2... They rock.

Old January 8th, 2018, 08:51 PM
caj13
Carl
D-90 SW # 434

I'm sure Painlesss and Am Auto Wireare good units. My point is for less than 1/2 the cost, you get the EZ kit. so I guess I'm trying to figure out why the Painless and Am Auto Wire kits are worth 250 - 275 bucks more than the EZ wire kits.
Old January 8th, 2018, 08:57 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by caj13 View Post
I'm sure Painlesss and Am Auto Wireare good units. My point is for less than 1/2 the cost, you get the EZ kit. so I guess I'm trying to figure out why the Painless and Am Auto Wire kits are worth 250 - 275 bucks more than the EZ wire kits.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...arness.266337/

Price seems to be the only difference.
Old January 9th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Factoid
Mark
Three criminals seeking revenge

Registry
Okay, an area where I have a lot of experience. I have wired dozens of vehicles using Painless, Ron Francis, AAW, and others including EZ. About 20 years ago when I lived in PA, I was the go to in the local car club for complete and partial rewires for the local street rod club.

Back in the day Painless was the go to followed by Ron Francis. They owned 95% of the market and could charge what ever they wanted. Ron Francis was also local in Chester, PA. I always went with Painless for the quality, but also their documentation which is first rate (you can download their detailed and excellent manual from the Summit Racing site). The reason I’ve used so many different products was driven by the owners preference.

Today competition from AAW, EZ and others (including a company whose name I forget and may no longer be in business, but used a single wire with plc controllers and receivers to run the electrical) have driven the prices down significantly, although Painless and Ron Francis don’t seem to have gotten the memo.

I judge the quality based on the fuse box, quality of crimps at the fuse box and selected wire gauges. All mentioned above are of equal quality. However, if name recognition is for some reason important to you, by all means pay twice as much.

Final point, be very careful in selecting the correct wiring harness. They are starting to look like the mattress industry where it is very difficult to compare apples to apples. Things to look for include:

1. Universal vs. specific vehicle: while this seems straight forward and I know of no company that makes a defender specific harness, most do offer universals that include connectors for a GM steering column (standard column configuration from the aftermarket companies like Ididit and Flaming River). You don’t need this and it costs more typically, but is often lost in the small print.

2. Color code convention: most again use GM (purple for start, blue/black for oil pressure, etc.). Not necessary, but provides some standardization for the street rod crew. I don’t believe EZ uses GM, but I could be wrong. Buyers choice.

3. Wire length: most universal harnesses are set up for mounting under the dash, so engine wiring lengths are shorter than rear tail light wires. However, you can purchase a harness made to install in the trunk (or rear of the vehicle) where the lengths are swapped or a truck universal harness where all lengths are increased. I’ve never had a standard universal harness where the wire lengths weren’t generous and plenty, however, don’t throw any wires you trim in the bin prior to finishing the job. You will thank me for this tip.

4. Number of circuits: it used to be you had a choice of 12 or 14 circuits which are plenty for a non-NAS Rover unless you plan on adding heated seats, pw, and power other stuff. Today you can find 21, 30 or more circuit harnesses. Typically these are a waste of money for our Rovers with one big exception. If you are building an overland vehicle, these are really helpful for running extra lights and other ancillaries. The beauty is the harness wiring can be used to control a relay and you then run the high current “pin 30” feed and local ground. Simply, repurpose the desired circuits.

5. Gimmicky features: avoid the gimmicks. For example, AAW used to offer blown fuse indicators in their fuse boxes. I guess if your eyes are getting old and to can’t see the fuse is blown, a glance at the box with no lights lit generates confidence. However, this is additional complexity, has been known to fail and in my experience could be problematic in a vehicle subject to vibration and rigorous use. Others like additional relays, circuit breakers on some circuits, temperature sensors, etc. are usually easier and cheaper to add yourself. The exception are the flasher and horn relay. Buyers choice.

That’s all I got, I say go for the EZ harness and you will make your life a lot simpler at a great price.
1975 Porsche 911 hot rod
1964 Porsche (Beck) 904
Old January 20th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Stealthsr71
Jeff Innes
1991 Defender 110

So electrical isn't my specialty, but I have rewired my 22ft center console boat. Will the EZ harness replace my old Fuse Box in the center by the shifter? Can I put the EZ Panel in my seat box next to the battery?
Old January 20th, 2018, 09:51 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
I would only us a marine grade panel on a boat.

Bluesea makes good ones.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/502..._Bus_and_Cover
Old January 20th, 2018, 10:01 AM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
Another option is to go with what is the best seller in the UK and EU. Autosparks. Specific to VIN range, motor, and has LR wire codes and connectors.

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/finder/car/land_rover
Old January 20th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Stealthsr71
Jeff Innes
1991 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
I would only us a marine grade panel on a boat.

Bluesea makes good ones.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/502..._Bus_and_Cover

I am just saying I have rewired my boat in the past, and I have my 1991 110 torn down to the bones for paint.

Just wondering if the EZ Wire harness will replace the older style fuse box by my shifter? And can I put the eZ fuse box in the battery compartment within the seat box?

Thanks,
Old January 20th, 2018, 11:13 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthsr71 View Post
I am just saying I have rewired my boat in the past, and I have my 1991 110 torn down to the bones for paint.

Just wondering if the EZ Wire harness will replace the older style fuse box by my shifter? And can I put the eZ fuse box in the battery compartment within the seat box?

Thanks,
sorry totally missed that.
Old January 20th, 2018, 11:23 AM
Factoid
Mark

Registry
To answer your question, yes you can use it and you can put it in the seat box near the battery. However, it is intended as a full vehicle harness. Are you stripping out all wiring or looking to splice the harness into existing wiring? Frankly, you would be much better off going with one of the harnesses KGH posted a link to above. There are many specialized connectors. Some you may want to get rid of (bullet connectors), but some you will want to retain (dash warning light connectors). Using a generic harness requires significantly more work.
1975 Porsche 911 hot rod
1964 Porsche (Beck) 904
Old January 20th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Stealthsr71
Jeff Innes
1991 Defender 110

I'd like to replace all the wiring. Some owners in the past have done a lot of crap work on the truck. Wires cut all over the place, cut wires ground to the bulkhead, etc.

Just want to clean it all up as all new lights, etc, are going in when i rebuild.
Old January 20th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Factoid
Mark

Registry
Then I would use one from the KGH link above.
1975 Porsche 911 hot rod
1964 Porsche (Beck) 904

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
kit