Extra hole in air intake? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2013, 02:44 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Extra hole in air intake?

Hi. What's the large hole in the bottom of the air intake for? I have an '86 110 that was converted from 2.5td to 200tdi by a previous owner. Years ago, before I knew about the gaping hole in my air intake, I took the truck through a fairly shallow stream and ended up hydrolocking my engine. Since then, it's been covered with duct tape and plastic bags. While I have things apart though, I'd like to sort this out properly. I just have no idea what it's for, what to hook it up to, or what part I can buy to cap it off.

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5034 (1).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	79851  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke View Post
Hi. What's the large hole in the bottom of the air intake for? I have an '86 110 that was converted from 2.5td to 200tdi by a previous owner. Years ago, before I knew about the gaping hole in my air intake, I took the truck through a fairly shallow stream and ended up hydrolocking my engine. Since then, it's been covered with duct tape and plastic bags. While I have things apart though, I'd like to sort this out properly. I just have no idea what it's for, what to hook it up to, or what part I can buy to cap it off.

Thanks,
- Andrew.
Once upon a time a hose came off that and went to the grate in the rear of the lf wing on 200 tdi's. Its where a snorkle hose would attach if you care to go that route. How does your engine get any air with that sealed off ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 14th, 2013, 05:12 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Wouldn't it suck through the bottom pipe pointing down?

On our conversions, we use an early 90s Chrysler 5th Ave air filter box. Tucks in nicely inside the wing and bolts to the galvanized splash guard completely out of the way.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2013, 05:17 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
On our conversions, we use an early 90s Chrysler 5th Ave air filter box. Tucks in nicely inside the wing and bolts to the galvanized splash guard completely out of the way.
Pics? Would be interested in seeing how it looks and fits.
Old September 14th, 2013, 07:18 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I had the snorkel attached to the hole you can see on the top right, pointing up. Originally I didn't have a snorkel, but I didn't know there was a hole on the bottom, just waiting for water to splash up into it.

After "the incident", I installed a Safari Snorkel, as I said, onto the top hole. I sealed off the bottom hole with a plastic bag.

I still don't understand why the box would need two intakes. Was the other hole supposed to go somewhere, or what's the deal? I've looked at hardware stores for some sort of plumbing cap or something to go on there, but have never been able to find something the correct size.

Thanks again,
- Andrew.
Old September 14th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
That diagonal hole is what is known as a SPOT. Stupid Previous Owner Trick. The one pointing down is the factory port and the diagonal one is some bodged up shite somebody welded on there. Best bet, cut it off and weld a plate over it.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old September 14th, 2013, 09:34 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
That diagonal hole is what is known as a SPOT. Stupid Previous Owner Trick. The one pointing down is the factory port and the diagonal one is some bodged up shite somebody welded on there. Best bet, cut it off and weld a plate over it.
I cannot conceive of a problem with the air box for which the solution would be to add a second intake. But OK, I guess it happened. It's off to the welder I go. Thanks!
Old September 14th, 2013, 10:01 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

I know what you mean. On mine a previous owner cut the port in half perpendicular to the box so it was c shaped. Maybe thought it would let more air in or something
Old September 15th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Chrysler/Fiat's new thing is to have dual air intakes called "Multiair". in the new Dodge Dart and Fiat 500. The previous owner was just ahead of the curve, LOL
Old September 15th, 2013, 01:23 PM
skrufy
Tim Timmins
1987/Defender 110

Air intake? Are you talking about the air filter housing? If so, the bottom hole is for a water drain, which should have a rubber drain cap on it with a slit type of opening- water can drain down, but no water gets in if going for a swim.......

Tim
Old September 15th, 2013, 03:22 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrufy View Post
Air intake? Are you talking about the air filter housing? If so, the bottom hole is for a water drain, which should have a rubber drain cap on it with a slit type of opening- water can drain down, but no water gets in if going for a swim.......

Tim
If you look at my photo, you'll see the small drain hole you're talking about, with the nipple on it. You'll also see two large intake holes. The second one of those is the one I'm talking about.
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:16 AM
skrufy
Tim Timmins
1987/Defender 110

Andrew-

Sorry, my mistake. The thumbnail pix of the extra huge and continuous Titanic sized intake hole didn't open up for me for some unknown reason.... When I asked the question, everybody else knew what you were talking about, but not me..... oh well. The drain hole with it rubber drain cap is easily seen as well..... As far as getting it welded up, I assume your welding guy will TIG-it, that metal is pretty thin for a MIG welder unless you run some real thin wire, and know what you are doing. For small stuff like that, the TIG weld will look better anyway.... Please post some "after" pix.....

Tim
Old September 16th, 2013, 08:16 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrufy View Post
Andrew-

Sorry, my mistake. The thumbnail pix of the extra huge and continuous Titanic sized intake hole didn't open up for me for some unknown reason.... When I asked the question, everybody else knew what you were talking about, but not me..... oh well. The drain hole with it rubber drain cap is easily seen as well..... As far as getting it welded up, I assume your welding guy will TIG-it, that metal is pretty thin for a MIG welder unless you run some real thin wire, and know what you are doing. For small stuff like that, the TIG weld will look better anyway.... Please post some "after" pix.....

Tim
Haha no problem. There's a fabricator nearby I used for another small job, so I'll see if they're willing to do this, and fab up some brackets for my raised air intake. I'm going to keep the side intake and blank off the bottom one, as it makes fitting the intake hose easier.
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:00 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Fyi

FYI, the bottom hole is factory
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16-sept-13 001.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	79963  

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:05 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
FYI, the bottom hole is factory
Yeah, but the side hole looks like it's going to fit more easily with my Mantec kit raised air intake kit.
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:46 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

twin snorkels/intakes?

when I had my last 90, i had the boost cranked up HIGH (24/28 psi IIRC) and needed two intakes to let it breathe better.
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:01 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
Chrysler/Fiat's new thing is to have dual air intakes called "Multiair". in the new Dodge Dart and Fiat 500. The previous owner was just ahead of the curve, LOL
New thing?
Take a look at any 1970 Hi Performance "Chrysler/Fiat" (Plymouth/Dodge). Single four barrel 383 and 440 engines had dual air intakes. Multi-carbed engines and single 4 barrel cars with hood mounted fresh air induction systems from that era had open air cleaner elements. (Chev and Ford had similar offerings.)

Everything old becomes new again.
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:02 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
twin snorkels/intakes?

when I had my last 90, i had the boost cranked up HIGH (24/28 psi IIRC) and needed two intakes to let it breathe better.
Maybe, but there's no evidence of the truck ever having a snorkel before I added one. I have a full-length Allisport intercooler, a slightly reworked turbo and tweaked fuel/air, and I've never gotten the impression that my vehicle was starved for air through a single Safari Snorkel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
air intake