external shock tower (w/o cutting arch) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

external shock tower (w/o cutting arch)

I was wondering if anyone could direct me to an external front shock mount that does not require cutting the wheel arch? From the searching I have done it seems that most fit them by cutting a hole. I would really prefer not to do that. I think AB has one but I have eyelet to eyelet shocks. THanks.
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2008, 08:35 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
I was wondering if anyone could direct me to an external front shock mount that does not require cutting the wheel arch? From the searching I have done it seems that most fit them by cutting a hole. I would really prefer not to do that. I think AB has one but I have eyelet to eyelet shocks. THanks.
If your goal is to run a longer travel shock, you will need to cut otherwise you will be limited to a short travel shock. I "think" some early RRs ran external front shocks, you could run that type of setup or something out of the UK designed to run dual front shocks may work.
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
If your goal is to run a longer travel shock, you will need to cut otherwise you will be limited to a short travel shock. I "think" some early RRs ran external front shocks, you could run that type of setup or something out of the UK designed to run dual front shocks may work.

exactly.. if you don't want to trim the wells, just run a stock setup. External setups will give you more flex but you need to run the longer shock which will require you to do some cutting to fit the setup. I had to trim mine a little bit and it looks factory. I also am running 14" travel shocks and a 3-link...
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Right now I have 12 inch Bilstiens in the front using the stock setup with DII towers. Everything fits in nicely, I just want to move that shock outside the spring. How much lower do you think the top mount would have to be to fit it without cutting?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions