External Oil Cooler - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 20th, 2005, 12:07 PM
m j
External Oil Cooler

Has anyone put an external oil cooler on their rig? If so could you let me know what kind of setup you went with.

Also, are there any differences between a trans cooler and an oil cooler? Say from Summit... I know the engine oil is under high pressure.

I was chatting with Mark Wyman at the rally and he brought up a good point. If you go with an external oil cooler you essentially remove a little heat from the radiator. Which in turn might help reduce the overall heat in the coolant. What do you guys think?

Old August 20th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat
I've been planning one for a while, but am going to skip most of the ones they sell at summit. Mocal and Setrab seem to have the best quality pieces around. Instead of crimp-on connections they have actual threaded fittings for better sealing and durability. Setrab has a few nice "fan packs" that they sell, which have an integrated fan in them. I just haven't figured out where to mount one yet, and a few other issues came up that demanded my money.

I do agree that it removes some of the heat from the radiator, which is good. But even better in my opinion is that it offers a 2nd, fully independant, source of cooling for the engine. An exteral oil cooler will also be MUCH more efficient than the in-radiator type and theoretically help overall engine cooling. But I do recommend an oil thermostat for that kind of situation, mainly so you don't OVER cool the oil during colder weather.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 20th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110
I installed a 21X7 inch cooler and it made a big difference. www.jegs.com sells them with a complete kit including adapter for the oil filter. I mounted mine on the steering protector, using supplied high pressure hose. I added a Mocal sandwich plate thermostat that shuts off the flow to the cooler when engine oil is under 160 degrees.

Doug W.
Old August 21st, 2005, 03:45 AM
James Falchetto
Ya the other thing is when you are running in a high temperature environment (over 100F average) you want to make sure there is sufficient airflow especially at low speed when chugging up a dune/mountain/towing so that usually means propping an electric fan instead of the mechanical one. This also gives you the option of running a better core (all aluminium, low gap) in front of the main cooling rad but it will be more restrictive. This will cause the overall temp to go up unless properly vented.
For reference all the UAE army LR's came standard with a 10 pass copper/aluminium front mounted oil radiator. Only one problem is that they clogged and or/leaked after about 10 years. Mount was central, right up front.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions