external fuel pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2005, 09:31 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

external fuel pump

Is anyone using an external fuel pump. I am looking for an alternative to the in tank pump for lower cost and easier maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

It's been talked about and I think I remember someone buying one from summit and mounting it in the passenger seat box. You need to make sure it has the right presure (I think 40 psi would do) and how ever you want to connect the hoses.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:43 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

randy- go to the auto parts store get the carter p74006(cady pump).i think its $75 get a strainer also part #sts2 $7 it should have a lifetime warranty. and it is as close to an exact match as you can get. i know its not outside the tank but it is straight forward. i did this a few weeks ago and could not have been happier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

WOW nice find Matt! A little searching and i turned this up

Quote:
Alan DuBoff called around and confirmed that the genuine fuel pump (well over $300) includes the entire assembly, plugging right into the gas tank. For under half this price you can get a Carter unit, part number P74006, available at NAPA stores for $75 to replace the inside of the pump (wiring has to be modified, plug from existing pump can be used). Shaun Carrigan says RR/LR enthusiast Jackie Bookout of Athens, TN used this pump, which worked great on his 1988 Discovery. According to Jackie, the flow rate and mounting are identical with OEM; he confirms that only the wiring needed modifying. He says: "Use your plug off your existing fuel pump. Cut the wires. Slide neoprene shrink sleeves over the wires. Solder the joints, slide the sleeves over the bare connections. Use a match or lighter to shrink fit the sleeves over the naked wire. (I would advise using a heat gun or hair dryer here instead of an open flame!! -- JB). Reinstall and you're ready to go." Michael Ziebel also did the fuel pump conversion using this part and the information from this site, and found the list price was $142 and dealer cost is $87. "Everything went okay, except it would have been nice if there was a fuel access door on the RRs' that would allow you to get to the fuel pump." Kevin replaced the pump and regulator for a total of $67 using parts from AutoZone (Same part number P74006). He advises, "Just remember to tie down the wires, and not leave them on the exhaust pipe like I did. That way you only replace it once!!!!"
All from here

http://www.rangerovers.net/discoparts/#fuelpumpseal
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I recently bought and sold an 1989 Range Rover. It had a pump mounted externally. Part number was E2000, but I don't know the MFGr. I want to follow up on this also, as I'd like to find an emergency part to carry with me.
Rob

I searched onling...the E2000 p/n is a Ford pump rated at 30-40 GPH @75-90psi deadheaded. It was working fine on the Range Rover that I had...it appeared that the original dead pump was probably still in place and the new one was drawing through it (but I don't know that for a fact).
Rob
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:25 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

not to hijack -but you dont even have to mess with wiring-it plugs right in for the 90.
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:55 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

couple of days late with this tread iv'e just fitted my new fuel pump $300+
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:09 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Thanks for the help!
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:14 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
"Just remember to tie down the wires, and not leave them on the exhaust pipe like I did. That way you only replace it once!!!!"
And when you push the tank back up, don't pinch the wires between the tank and the chassis, like the dealer did to me on a warranty repair! It'll eventually cause an intermittent short that'll drive you nuts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel