External cage (SD RBL 172) fit over ribbed roof 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 21st, 2013, 07:39 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
External cage (SD RBL 172) fit over ribbed roof 110

I've seen some debate about this on here and other forums -- I'm just wondering if anyone here has had any distinct success/failure with putting an exo cage on a ribbed roof. I'm going to be adding a cage soon and would like to do external if at all possible, but I have no real interest in trading out my roof with a smooth one. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:30 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

All I know is I tried it with a stock safety Devices NAS 110 cage and it will not work. Not enough clearance.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:02 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I've seen some debate about this on here and other forums -- I'm just wondering if anyone here has had any distinct success/failure with putting an exo cage on a ribbed roof. I'm going to be adding a cage soon and would like to do external if at all possible, but I have no real interest in trading out my roof with a smooth one. Thanks!
Does it have to be an sd cage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:44 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm disappointed that SD website claims their rollcages fit every year Defender and 110 from 1983 when its obvious they don't.
I've got an externally ribbed 90 so have some interest in your solution.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:49 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I'm disappointed that SD website claims their rollcages fit every year Defender and 110 from 1983 when its obvious they don't.
I've got an externally ribbed 90 so have some interest in your solution.
Not only do they not fit the roof, but the rear cage legs require modifications because of the way the tub step is configured.

I think you may be able to shoehorn the B-pillar bar on, but at best it would push down on the ribs and likely vibrate. The cross bars in the rear wagon area (where they cross the roof) is where ther is definitely not enough room. I think you're going to find that you're going to want some wiggle room when you do the install, otherwise you'll be miserable.......actually, strike that....MORE miserable.

Just replace your ribbed roof, it probably leaks at he seams anyway.

Would be cool if Safety Devices offered a spacer kit to adapt to early roofs though, or some type method of fitment to an early roof.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:34 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I have just installed the supports to the 110 build from a SD full cage. It will not work on a ext. ribbed roof. You may be able to get PP cages or one of the other manufactures to make one that has a higher rise? I found it easier to get a new roof.
My tub also had the step down in the rear at the rear support. What a pain. Mine also has the storage box on the lh side. I had to cut in larger holes to get the bracket in and then make cover plates to make everything look right.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:09 AM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Yeah. My tub is an 85 as well and I had to modify the rear supports as well. It sucked. I ended up cutting them and welding a sleeve of pipe to them to make them essentially two pieces with a cross bolt through them. Then all I needed to do was hole saw a hole big enough for the sleeve to fit through. The hardest part was the drivers side with the storage box. Getting the two holes to line up was tricky. In the end it worked great.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:10 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Thanks for the confirmation - this helps. I'd change roofs but I literally just finished recovering my headliner. damnit.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Yeah it sucks. I even tried to see about cutting the ribs to make space for the cage to lay recessed in the rib but for some reason I don't think it would work and I cannot remember why now.

Maybe I could not find a great way to seal it up after cutting the rib. Who knows.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:55 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I have the P&P external cage on my 110. which has an early ribbed roof (I built it like that, as I like the "old school" look)

Clears the ribs no problem (well, about 1/4~1/2" gap). Wasn't a special order either.

Can take some pics tomorrow (when i've cleared the snow off of it) if you need.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, cage, roof