Extending your vehicle life from day 1 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2014, 09:19 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
keep it away from salt, change the oil/coolant wash the mud out dry the floors after rain and waxoyl
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2014, 09:22 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
keep it away from salt, change the oil/coolant wash the mud out dry the floors after rain and waxoyl
And spray those floor panels and hardware w/ WD40 after each cleaning.
Old February 9th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Move to Arizona to avoid rust.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2014, 10:44 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Mine is a SW, and living in northern NV, when I did my conversion, I left out the A/C. For 1 month of HOT, I can tolerate the the heat. I also removed the rear sliding windows and put in solids. Just recently I had Huff's Automotive of Chandler AZ, install 3M Crystalline tinting. This stuff is fabulous. One shade grade of it, the 90, is so clear that you can put it on the front windshield and not notice that it is there. Which ever tinting level you choose, it cut virtually ALL UV rays.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive_Films/

wow, thats some impressive tint!! $$$, but nice. keep the heat down and keep those dashbords from cracking.

my 8 cents on vehicle life:
To make your truck last from day 1 I'd say religious self-servicing is #1. Chassis coating of some sort if you live in a state that salts the roads is #2. The servicing will assure that you see every inch of your truck every month or so, keeping problems from getting out of control.. I don't know what 20 years of waxoyl looks like, and perhaps dealing with a rusty chassis is less of a mess than that, but to keep rust at bay, the chassis needs to be coated with something. Wax your truck too, especially on the cappings and bulkhead (rust prone)
Air out your floor mats every week or so, the foam backed stockers on my 94 were always wet underneath regardless of if I had seen any water. Hopefully this can help slow the inevitable footwell rust. Lastly, drive the thing once a week at least for a good 30 minutes.

~Steve
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:52 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Some good info here. Anyone experiment with the 3m clear plastic film to protect paint?
Old February 9th, 2014, 12:40 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
And spray those floor panels and hardware w/ WD40 after each cleaning.
With Boeshield T9 !

One thing I would have liked to have done is windshield protection. Wasen't there a protection film one can use to prevent chips from flying rocks/pebbles? (darn construction trucks)
Old February 9th, 2014, 03:57 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Talking about the same stuff they use on Nascar windshields? Then yes you can get that, but its cheap enough to replace the windshield or even easier to call up those window chip fixer guys that you see on the road all the time. The flat windshields on our trucks are a wet dream to windshield replacement shops cause its flat glass. Measure, cut, fit, seal and done. They love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap View Post
With Boeshield T9 !

One thing I would have liked to have done is windshield protection. Wasen't there a protection film one can use to prevent chips from flying rocks/pebbles? (darn construction trucks)
Old February 9th, 2014, 06:39 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
Talking about the same stuff they use on Nascar windshields? Then yes you can get that, but its cheap enough to replace the windshield or even easier to call up those window chip fixer guys that you see on the road all the time. The flat windshields on our trucks are a wet dream to windshield replacement shops cause its flat glass. Measure, cut, fit, seal and done. They love them.
This was stuff to protect the nose of the vehicle's paint. Essentially a clear wrap. Sometimes you may see strips of it along the wheel arches of some higher end cars to add an extra layer of protection to high-wear areas
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:12 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

I wish I was the first owner of a D90, but how about this: throw away those Land Rover floormats for the footwells? My understanding is that the majority of footwell corrosion cases result from the poor design of those mats, the foam underside of which stayed soggy for a long time.
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:43 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Am I the only one that actually likes those insulated floor mats?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 9th, 2014, 08:01 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
I still am using the ST specific OEM insulated floor mats. They do a good job at insulating the heat from the cats and muffling the noise. The new LR HD mats are tissue paper in comparison. Granted, I am using this layer of tissue paper to preserve the OEM mats below.
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:03 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Am I the only one that actually likes those insulated floor mats?
Apparently yes but hey I like canned cranberry jelly so you have got to go with whatever floats your boat!
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Honestly, I think the worst thing to do for a car is make it sit. It is good for the engine to be run from time to time or even daily.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions