Extended Wheel Studs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Extended Wheel Studs

Wondering if anyone running Wolf rims has changed their wheel studs to longer ones. The stock studs on the 110 do not go completely through the lug nuts (maybe halfway). I think Zeus makes some longer studs. Are there any other options or at least a local source? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Not the exact same application, but you can take the rover studs out and replace them with standard in any lenth. You can then buy new lug nuts with the exact same taper demensions and do it all for quite a bit less than just replacing with longer rover studs. I did this on my front end. I now have 5/8 fine thread bolts with rover steel wheels.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 16th, 2007, 04:30 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I've done this and added spacers up to 1.5" with the longer studs in 5/8" You can get lugnuts that match the LR size as well.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Kev Baldwin
Kevin Baldwin
2.4 Tdci 110 Utilty Wagon

Zeus make the longer studs for this application, however, opinion among UK owners is that you don't really need them. Certainly my own father ran Discovery steel wheels (same short stud problem as Wolf rims) on his Defender for something 7/8 yrs without a problem.

Kev
Old April 16th, 2007, 03:25 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Buck/Pendy - Kevin brought up a good point. Is this a problem I should be concerned about or do most people not even worry about it, and never have a problem?
Old April 16th, 2007, 05:01 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I believe a picky MOT man can fail the car if the nut doesn't fully connect with the treads on the wheel stud.
I put Zeus studs on my 110 for this reason but they're way too long, the threads can rust up which makes getting the nuts offf a bit of a so 'n' so Studs of alloy wheel applications (with the groove across the end) are longer and overcome this problem.
My 90 has a Classic Range Rover rear axle with wheel studs for alloys and the wolf wheels fit fine the front axle is standard and the wheels haven't fallen off..............yet
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sakurada
Buck/Pendy - Kevin brought up a good point. Is this a problem I should be concerned about or do most people not even worry about it, and never have a problem?
I wouldn't really worry about it. Unless you have less than 1x diameter of the bolt size treaded it is not really an issue. Of course, being sure about things like this are nice sometimes.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:24 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You could always put a cap on the nut so you could not see the threads ?; {

Old April 17th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Or Disco lugs!!
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I was told that 1 1/2 times the stud diameter in contact with the threads of the nut gives the max strength.
Capped nuts would wouk for an MOT
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:25 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Don't think I'm ready to cap my nuts yet

Right now I have about 1 dia of thread engaged. Seems marginal to me, but I'm not sure...

1-1/2 diameters would be about right for the lug nuts I have. I should probably look into the 5/8 studs, and see if I can get the correct length. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
You could always put a cap on the nut so you could not see the threads ?; {
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

It's just like spline engadgement. More than 1 times diameter doesn't net any more strenth. Thats why nuts are about that width. Imagine a 1/2 bolt with a 1.5in long nut. Now wheter or not they are less safe because they can fall off easier when they get loose, I don't know. If you keep them tight, you should be fine.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:21 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Actually the strength of a threaded or splined joint will increase as the engagement length is increased. The load is distributed over a greater area so the stress is lower. Hence, greater load capability for the same max stress. But I would agree that 1 dia is a practical minimum. My situation seems marginal to me because it's probably slightly less than 1 dia as the lug nuts have a relief on the backside. And also the last thread at the end of the stud isn't reliable for load carrying so even less there. Yeah, I should get some of those 5/8" studs.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:26 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You want me to post some pictures?

JP

Old April 18th, 2007, 12:31 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Sure, pictures always help. Thanks.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sakurada
Actually the strength of a threaded or splined joint will increase as the engagement length is increased. The load is distributed over a greater area so the stress is lower. Hence, greater load capability for the same max stress. But I would agree that 1 dia is a practical minimum. My situation seems marginal to me because it's probably slightly less than 1 dia as the lug nuts have a relief on the backside. And also the last thread at the end of the stud isn't reliable for load carrying so even less there. Yeah, I should get some of those 5/8" studs.
True,

But only in pull stress. In sheer the bolt will break the same with 10 times diameter as it would with 1. The stress on a wheel stud is almost all sheer, so 1 times diameter is fine. But 5/8 is cooler anyway.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 18th, 2007, 03:52 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

I guess I'm thinking there's more than just shear loads that are significant. But I really don't know what the loading is. Maybe the worst thing for me is just torquing them down, and stripping or yielding the threads that way.

Here's how it currently looks:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	070417_lugnut 001.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	9031  
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I wouldn't think that there is much shear weight at all on them...aren't the wheels hubcentric? If they are, the weight should be distributed onto the centerbore and the studs should just be holding the wheels against the hub.

My question is...why are there less threads with the steel wheels than the alloys? Stamped steel should be thinner than the aluminum wheel. Are you running spacers with these?
Old April 18th, 2007, 05:02 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Don't believe they're hubcentric. The lugs are tapered so the wheel definitely loads the studs.

Nope, no spacers. I don't have aluminum wheels to compare so I don't know where the differences come in. You can see in the pic that there's a raised area on the steel wheel right under the lug nut. My guess is that these are more pronounced on the Wolf rims than the stock steel rims. Apparently there's a Defender XD (Wolf) stud (PN FRC7577) that's suppose to be longer. But of course, not available here and very expensive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel