Extended trip spares/kits - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 8th, 2009, 08:59 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Extended trip spares/kits

Hi - I'm considering an extended trip (4-6 weeks) in the rig for next summer. Probably up north to Maine and then through much of Canada, down the west coast and ending up at my brother's house in L.A. Unsure how I'd get the truck back. Don't really want to think about that yet, but I am mulling over what parts to stuff in a pelican case for the trip. What is really necessary? My 90 is in pretty good shape, 125k miles with new exhaust, belts/hoses/plugs/wires, tie rod ends, springs/shocks, steering damper, etc. Drag link/track rod/panhard bar to and new water pump going in within the next month. And I don't expect to do massive wheeling, just hoping for lots of offroad driving. I'm thinking at least:

- Tire repair kit
- Tie rod ends (pair)
- Starter
- Fuel pump kit
- Brake switch
- Assorted belts/hoses (?)
- Fuses/relays
- Oil/fluids

Any ideas? What am I missing here? What should I replace beforehand (assume that very little has been replaced beyond what I mentioned above)?

Thanks. -Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

wheel bearings, u joints half shafts if you have them.

hoses, hose clamps
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:37 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

A powertank, impact wrench and a set of tools.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2009, 09:39 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

AAA card and phone numbers of all rover owners/shops along the way.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
AAA card and phone numbers of all rover owners/shops along the way.
That's a given.
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:09 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I'm following this with interest ... I'm thinking about a road trip but am a bit nervous of ending up in some backwater without spares ...
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:35 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Take a spare tie rod too, they're a so 'n' so to straighten if they get bent on the trail.
You're spares list more or less equates to what I took to drive across Europe for a 16 day trip around Morocco.
All the spares stayed mostly in the box, the tools got a bit of use though when the transfer box expired and I hadn't packed one of those!
But a spare was found and fitted in 5 hours in southern Spain - thanks to Trailmasters.
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Alternator, waterpump, since you have GEMS a lot of the ignition stuff is not applicable but I would probably take a crank sensor, water and duct tape will fix most hoses (unscrew the cap so it does not presurize and blow the fix if you do duct tape a hose). Two wheel bearings (I take a whole hub as it is easier).

I go with the minimum necessary to keep me moving so I don't carry axles, cvs, diffs, prop shafts etc, because I can continue if one fails. I do keep a water pump, alternator, serp belt, etc. because if they fail I am dead in the water. Basically make a list of the dozen or so most common things that prevent forward motion and use that as a guide to what to carry.
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:28 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
Take a spare tie rod too, they're a so 'n' so to straighten if they get bent on the trail.
You're spares list more or less equates to what I took to drive across Europe for a 16 day trip around Morocco.
All the spares stayed mostly in the box, the tools got a bit of use though when the transfer box expired and I hadn't packed one of those!
But a spare was found and fitted in 5 hours in southern Spain - thanks to Trailmasters.
Thanks, you and Scott reminded me to get a better all-encompassing toolset. I'll also keep my old drag link and rod. And Ron reminded me that I need a backup alternator.

Anything from the electrical category? What about power steering or brakes?
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOB
Thanks, you and Scott reminded me to get a better all-encompassing toolset. I'll also keep my old drag link and rod. And Ron reminded me that I need a backup alternator.

Anything from the electrical category? What about power steering or brakes?
I usually keep a spare rubber flex line in my kit and brake pads, but I don't think that is necessay unless you are low on your pads to begin with. I keep a thing of fluid in the truck too. All I would keep for power steering is extra ATF.

Ron
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I don't think you need a comprehensive tool kit per se - most bolts are either 10, 13, 15, or 17mm with the odd 14mm in there (like on the driveshafts). If you have some combination wrenches, regular and deep sockets, ratchets, and ratcheting wrenches in those sizes you have most of what you need. Add in a torx 55 for the trans fill plug, a 1/2" drive extension for the t-case fill, and some screwdrivers, pliers etc and you'll be 90% of the way there. I'm sure there's more, but that's just off the top of my head. If you carry around a GMTK you're just wasting space and weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 8th, 2009, 05:09 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

fuel filter
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm
fuel filter
Fuel fliter replacement kit with the rubber hose ends is better.
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:55 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

You mentioned spare relays in your first post, just make sure to include a 1997 specific Multifunction Fuel Pump relay # YWB100820LG.
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Fuel fliter replacement kit with the rubber hose ends is better.
If you can't get the fittings off the filter, you're probably just better cutting the hoses and putting in a BMW fuel filter that has two hose fittings - its a lot easier than cutting the hardlines and you'll never have to play with the threaded fittings again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
kit, spare, trip