Export Advice Needed Please - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:24 PM
Prestigecarsales
David
1997 Defender 110

Export Advice Needed Please

Hello,
I am a car dealer here in the Republic of Ireland and know of a 1997 Land Rover defender 110 Lhd 2500 Cc Diesel manual transmission after a full refurb with no rust!
What I would like to know id would this be suitable for export to the usa/Canada?
And if not what models would be suitable that ye know are for sale in europe but are harder got in the Us.
Thanks
Kind Regards
David
Similar to this Defender http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...N_vehicle).JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:31 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestigecarsales View Post
Hello, I am a car dealer here in the Republic of Ireland and know of a 1997 Land Rover defender 110 Lhd 2500 Cc Diesel manual transmission after a full refurb with no rust! What I would like to know id would this be suitable for export to the usa/Canada? And if not what models would be suitable that ye know are for sale in europe but are harder got in the Us. Thanks Kind Regards David Similar to this Defender http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...N_vehicle).JPG
Read the what's legal thread. Contact an importer. Search the site. Search the internet. This subject has been done to death so many times ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 4th, 2014, 07:55 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
David, generally vehicles must at least 25 yo to enter the US and 15 for Canada. The import process is very simple if the vehicle is original to factory spec. Any deviations from original factory specifications will likely present a challenge and require it to be turned around. The US has an excise tax of 2.5% whereas Canada has GST which is like VAT of 20% I believe. Hope this is helpful and gets you started in the right direction. You will quickly find there is a lot of discussion around this. Good Luck! Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2014, 08:15 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Don't do it yourself. Use a professional, use Doug Crowther. He is the best.
Old May 4th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Even if it is legal forget California as it's diesel powered. If you replaced the chassis, forget about it entirely.
Yup the what's legal thread is the place to start. That and uncle Doug

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:53 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

David:
Not allowed in USA as the vehicle has to be 25 years old.
Is available for export into Canada as mentioned above the cut-off is 15 years and the vehicle you mention is 17 years old.

I know an honest guy in Halifax area that you could work with who is not too expensive if you need a man on the ground.

Not sure if Uncle Douglas is Canadian friendly, but there is no one better for handling import and export (ing).

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 4th, 2014, 11:28 AM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

"And if not what models would be suitable that ye know are for sale in europe but are harder got in the Us"

Assuming they meet the other requirements, the following are desirable:

1) left hand drive

2) 4 door station wagons

3) From warm and dry climates such as Greece

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
advice, export