Exploding Coil - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2008, 11:57 PM
3rovers
Dennis Yard
1993 NAS D-110 #55

Gentlemen,

I got nowhere with the Mallory replacement system in my 93 D-110. It replaced the Lucas ignition after the ampflier failed and cooked the coil.

After a couple of months of troubleshooting to try to fix the constant stumbling upon light acceleration, I gave up. I pulled it out and put the repaired Lucas back in. Truck runs fine with no hint of the hesitation problem.

My point of view from this episode is that the Mallory is NOT compatible with D-110 for an unknown reason. Honestly dont know why, but it doesnt work right.
1993 NAS D-110 #55 (GNUTRUK)
2004 Disco II (DSCO DOG)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2010, 04:35 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Hello hello....
Well it's been 2 years since I posted this original thread. Since then I had the Defender in a barn collecting dust. I'm back at it with several projects. Any updates regarding thoughts from this thread? Is there a better product I should be considering. So far I am leaning towards a Mallory distributor.

Thanks in advance everyone.

-Steve
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Permanent fix for this is to remove V8 and replace with TDI. Guaranteed that you won't ever have another coil failure again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2010, 04:47 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Thanks Mark...anyone out there have advice for poor-people? Haha.
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Wow, I definitely learned a bit since my last post on this one

I went with the full mallory install eventually, and initially had the same problem with stumbling, etc....
Eventually I fried the module (welding on the exhaust, forgot to disconnect it, totally my fault) and replaced it with their newer E-Spark module. The E-spark had an addendum sheet with an alternate wiring schematic, to feed 12v to the module instead of the 6v in the older diagram. Huge difference, no more stumbling and has been running fantastic ever since.

I went full mallory on the ignition with the unilite/e-spark distributor, e-spark coil with external ballast resistor, mallory wires, etc.....

You really need to upgrade the plug wires I found, the stock style generic brand wires kept burning up between the wire and the plug connector. No problems since going with a beefier plug wire.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:44 PM
BLUE94
Kelby Saxton
1994 Defender 90

In early June I was doing the hole in the rock trail in southern Utah and on day two deep in the desert in the middle of nowhere my coil melted down. Luckly there after a day some jeeps came by and one of the guys had two spare coils. I cut some wires and made it fit (I had no choice). It worked fine for about 20 minutes when that coil melted down also. By that time the jeep people were gone. But two days later they found me again but this time I had to buy the coil. Hooked it up and with a volt meter checked the volts coming from the alternator and it was around 18 at that point I disconnected the alternator and ran on battery power luckly I had a friend with a dual battery setup and we could swap. I drove home about 10 hours. Replaced the alternator and the coil and the problem seems to be fixed. So check the volts coming from the alternator before changing the distributer and such, mine still has the old style w/o the relocation kit and has been working fine.
good luck and sorry for the long story.
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
On a serious note, I put a mallery in my Jeep CJ V8 (pre Rover days) due to constant problems (mopar) and also put in the mallory coil. my recommendation is to get rid of the stock coil and go with a good mallory one. and don't forget the ballast resistor.

I'm trying hard to forget everything I know about distributors, coils, ECU's, Spark plugs, plug wires, ballast resistors...anything I forget? I hope so. I need to stop reading ignition threads.
Old August 21st, 2010, 06:32 AM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:09 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Or just fit a Megasquirt EFI and some MSD coils.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old August 27th, 2011, 04:01 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Hi again everyone. Ok, I think this year is the year to get back to working on my 94 Defender. Based on earlier postings in this thread, it looks like I need to swap out the distributor. Back a year or two ago people suggested a Mallory but there needed to be some conversion work to it. Is that still the case? Is there a place I can buy a pre-converted setup? Thanks in advance! Really appreciated.

"Poor" Steve
Old August 28th, 2011, 07:15 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroPro View Post
Hi again everyone. Ok, I think this year is the year to get back to working on my 94 Defender. Based on earlier postings in this thread, it looks like I need to swap out the distributor. Back a year or two ago people suggested a Mallory but there needed to be some conversion work to it. Is that still the case? Is there a place I can buy a pre-converted setup? Thanks in advance! Really appreciated.

"Poor" Steve
Wow! Slow going, huh? You want to just sell the truck and not have to mess with it any more?
Old August 28th, 2011, 07:21 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnp View Post
Wow! Slow going, huh? You want to just sell the truck and not have to mess with it any more?

My wife put you up to this didn't she? Haha.. nope I'll never sell it. It sits in my garage waiting for me to get back to it. I spent WAY too much play money on triathlon and mountain bike racing over the past few years to justify spending on the D90. I just finished up my 2011 race season and plan to start tinkering with it again. Also, I finally have a garage. So now I don't have to drive 50 minutes north to see it at my friend's barn.
Old August 28th, 2011, 07:32 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroPro View Post
My wife put you up to this didn't she? Haha.. nope I'll never sell it. It sits in my garage waiting for me to get back to it. I spent WAY too much play money on triathlon and mountain bike racing over the past few years to justify spending on the D90. I just finished up my 2011 race season and plan to start tinkering with it again. Also, I finally have a garage. So now I don't have to drive 50 minutes north to see it at my friend's barn.
Oh well, it was worth a shot anyway! HAHA

I, too, changed over to a Mallory Distributor/coil/ballast a few years ago, and (sound of louder than before knocking on wood), it has run flawlessly ever since. As far as upgrades go, I would contact Mallory directly to see what they recommend (including any different part numbers for compatible coils), but I would buy it off of Amazon. In fact, Mallory has a rebate on their components thru September 10. Google Mallory 4768901 distributor, go to the Amazon link, and you'll see the rebate reference just below where the price is stated (Amazon also has free shipping on this item)

Again, I hope your experience with this setup will be as good as mine has been. There are some that haven't spoken as highly of it, but it's also my understanding that their problems resulted from issues other than the distributor retrofit............bottom line: you gotta figure that ANY time you can replace a Lucas electrical item with one from virtually any other mfr., you're gonna be making many steps forward, not backwards.

Good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coil