Experiences with Off-Road Trailers? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Experiences with Off-Road Trailers?

When it was just me, or my wife and I, I always had plenty of room in the back of the ninety for our camping gear, recovery gear, chainsaw, etc, etc, etc… Now that I have put the bench back in to accommodate my daughter’s car seat, there is virtually no usable storage space for all of these items that use to pack so nicely all below the bed rails.

I’ve been becoming more and more interested in off-road adventure/camping trailers as a result. Adventure Trailers ‘Chaser’ and 'Horizon’ are certainly favorite’s on my list, but also quite pricey. Either way, I was hoping to get some perspective from Defender owners that have and use these type of trailers, how well they work with the Defender, and with off-road in general, as well as their overall usefulness.

I’m also curious about how you choose to pull it. The manufacturer strongly recommends, and the general consensus seems to be that the 'Lock-N-Roll' hitch is the best way to go. However, since I removed my back bumper and have no received hitch I have to wonder if a rotating “Lunette” ring on the trailer would work just as well with the 5 ton Dixon Bate tow jaw bolted to my rear crossmember? And if not, what are you doing for a receiver hitch (if not using the factory bumper)?

P.S. -- If you have photos of your rig with trailer attached (parking lot or tackling tough off-road trails) please post, or e-mail as well. Thanks..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
The big drawback to the rotating pintle on the cross member is if you need to open the rear door while the trailer is connected, good luck. Of course this greatly depends on open space available. I have a sankey trailer and while I have the rotating pintle and fixed lunette, I use a hitch extension to give me more room to open the SW door. Maybe not a problem on the ST but something to think about.

To me, the real question was, how much am I going to use the trailer for camping. The reality was, not that much currently. So I bought a well used sankey I can restore this winter. I have used it more for carrying building/landscaping materials and bikes than for camping. When I restore it, I plan to enclose the top and place my RTT on it in a removable setup. But so far, it has earned its' keep in the current open form.
Old July 9th, 2008, 05:03 PM
midturtle
Wes
'95 90 SW #234

The previous owner of my rig pulled a custom trailer. Unfortunately I do not know the manufacturer nor do I have the trailer. But I believe someone at West Coast British might be able to steer you in the right direction. Here is a link to a few pics of the rig with the trailer. Notice the tail lights of the trailer.

http://www.offroadexperience.com/wcb/wcbprojecth.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2008, 09:39 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

However, since I removed my back bumper and have no received hitch I have to wonder if a rotating “Lunette” ring on the trailer would work just as well with the 5 ton Dixon Bate tow jaw bolted to my rear crossmember?

That's what I have on my Disco (no reciever) The 110 has a below the crossmember reciever and I use a 5 t pintle hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:44 AM
mrfilson
Kevin Jones
Ex-Mod 90 2.5na

midturtle,

The trailer that your rig pulled in the past was a tenttrax.

The remark was made by Sir Isaac Newton in 1720 upon losing £20,000 of public funds in the market

Old August 7th, 2008, 09:42 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Here is my M101 Canadian Military trailer with technitop RTT attached to my disco. I use a 15T pintle (5T was too small for my lunette) I can open the rear door of the disco just fine with the trailer attached (Not sure how the disco rear door compares to the 90 rear door).

We have only used it a few times since I finished it a few months ago but we really like it.

Positives that we really like so far

1. All of our camping stuff packs into the trailer and we can go camping at a moments notice as everything stays in there so no loading and unloading of gear. The trailer has a sealed lid and locks and most items are stored inside of pelican cases. When we are done camping we simply put everything back inside the trailer and it is ready for the next trip

2. Easy to setup, I lock the parking brake on the trailer and flip open the tent and we are done

3. It keeps my wife happy, she does not like to sleep on the ground, and I must admit it is nice to have a flat surface to sleep on.

4. When we want to go do something the Disco is clean inside with enough room for people since the camping setup is self contained and stays back at the camp.

Downsides so far

1. I have a Dual sport motorcycle and an ATV, I need to take 2 vehicles if I want to take them camping.

2. Cost, for the cost of the trailer and the RTT you could buy several tents or stay in a hotel a bunch of times.

In the future I will be adding a water tank to the trailer so we will have fresh water and can take showers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01240 (Medium).JPG
Views:	219
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	14667  
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:17 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Here ya go
Built from an M101

5 bar top.
LR hubs on new 3 inch axel tube.
New traw bar extended 2 feet.
Hannibal roof tent.

Pictures from the Hole in the Rock Trail Utah. Memorial Day 2008
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1435_001_sized.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	14671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1465_001_sized.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	14672  

Name:	IMG_1721_sized.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	14673  
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:26 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
However, since I removed my back bumper and have no received hitch I have to wonder if a rotating “Lunette” ring on the trailer would work just as well with the 5 ton Dixon Bate tow jaw bolted to my rear crossmember?
I think you are looking for this thread: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ighlight=hitch
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM
midturtle
Wes
'95 90 SW #234

thanks kevin

all i know is that it was a feature in mantrack section of playboy...the only D90 to ever do so!
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Mike,

The pictures look great! How far did you pull the trailer on the trail? Did you take it down The Chute and beyond Cheese Camp and Cottonwood Hill?

Abe
Old August 9th, 2008, 11:14 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant_V
Mike,

The pictures look great! How far did you pull the trailer on the trail? Did you take it down The Chute and beyond Cheese Camp and Cottonwood Hill?

Abe
Thanks Abe

We camped about 17 miles in. Not sure of the name of the camp site. I dropped the trailer there and the roof top tent to complete the trail. I did not take it down the chute, but I think it would of handled just fine.

Photo of the camp site

A must do trail before you die.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5242387r.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	14699   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5262541r.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	14700  

Old August 9th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen
Thanks Abe

We camped about 17 miles in. Not sure of the name of the camp site. I dropped the trailer there and the roof top tent to complete the trail. I did not take it down the chute, but I think it would of handled just fine.

Photo of the camp site

A must do trail before you die.
I completely agree about "must do". This year I took the girlfriend and the chocolate lab on the trip requiring me to wheel with the roof rack on and heavily loaded. I think it's Cottonwood Hill beyond The Chute. There was a section on that climb that the front end was light enough to lift a wheel for about eight feet of travel. That wasn't my only top heavy anxious moment but I wasn't alone. One in our party did the whole trail in an unlocked Disco with a roof top tent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	night camp.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	14701   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_120807_060.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	14702  

Name:	day camp.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	14703   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2813.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	14704  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions