Experience with Defenders - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:39 PM
Jerruno93
Jerry
none

Experience with Defenders

Hello everyone! Im new here, I really want to buy a defender, but I live in the US and here they are over priced. I have done my research and searched how to ship them over from the uk but i thought the best advice is from people who own these cars. Im looking to buy a defender pre 1988, What problems should i be aware of besides the whole corrosion bit. I want to know what problems i should be aware of in terms of reliability and how i should go about this as getting parts in the U.S. is know where near as easy as if i were in the UK or in Europe, I really appreciate all this help
Thank you
- Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:49 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
What's your budget?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:55 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerruno93 View Post
Hello everyone! Im new here, I really want to buy a defender, but I live in the US and here they are over priced. I have done my research and searched how to ship them over from the uk but i thought the best advice is from people who own these cars. Im looking to buy a defender pre 1988, What problems should i be aware of besides the whole corrosion bit. I want to know what problems i should be aware of in terms of reliability and how i should go about this as getting parts in the U.S. is know where near as easy as if i were in the UK or in Europe, I really appreciate all this help
Thank you
- Jerry
25 year old vehicles are going to need work. Parts are readily available in the US and most UK suppliers ship to the US.

Best advice if you want to import a truck is to get on a plane and inspect it personally. Many people have been disappointed by trucks they got 'cheap' from Europe.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:05 PM
Stilts
Y Ammann
110 def ex ffr 2.5na

Registry
Heres a starter for some knowledge.

Cheers
Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:12 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:50 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Also owning a Defender is not like owning a Toyota. Things break, wear out, leak and intermittently quit working. If you are not a fix it yourself guy or have a stack of cash you might want to think twice. There has been a flood of newbies as of late with some simple problems that were way out of their league.
I'm not trying to dissuade you or chase you away but if you don't own a full set of tools and know how to use them you will more than likely become very frustrated or shell out some big bucks for the life of your ownership.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:09 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Also owning a Defender is not like owning a Toyota. Things break, wear out, leak and intermittently quit working. If you are not a fix it yourself guy or have a stack of cash you might want to think twice. There has been a flood of newbies as of late with some simple problems that were way out of their league.
I'm not trying to dissuade you or chase you away but if you don't own a full set of tools and know how to use them you will more than likely become very frustrated or shell out some big bucks for the life of your ownership.

Of course the reverse is true...if you are a fix it guy and also have a stack of cash all of your free time and money will be put into repairing, modifying, improving and then finally buying all of the spares you can for fear of the day when they are all NLA! but it's all good and everyone needs a hobby, its better than a meth lab!
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:22 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
After several joyful and painful years of Defender ownership, I have now come to the conclusion that owning a Defender (any Defender) is like owning a boat. Constantly fighting the effects of corrosion and constantly in need of something.

Just be prepared and understand your budget restrictions
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:58 PM
Jerruno93
Jerry
none

My initial budget is about 10 thousand dollars, but i know im going to spending more on parts which is fine. I know these things break like there is no tomorrow, I just want to know what goes wrong with them for the most part. Im a do it yourself guy,I do all my own work on my cars and I have two G-wagons , one that has problems left and right, But i love them. Ive been into cars ever since i was a kid, I just want to know what is their biggest problems in order to be prepared. I was thinking of going with some ex military ones, but im not sure what route to take. Thank you guys for the advice, i really appreciate it
- Jerry
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:21 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
After several joyful and painful years of Defender ownership, I have now come to the conclusion that owning a Defender (any Defender) is like owning a boat. Constantly fighting the effects of corrosion and constantly in need of something.

Just be prepared and understand your budget restrictions
So true - I have been telling people that asked about my white 90 for sale that it is like owning a boat.

Defenders can be money and/or time pits. But I have learned so much diagnosing and fixing mechanical things owning one. Not to mentioned how to combat corrosion. And also what works best for interior/electrical jobs that have been mostly satisfying.

If you are looking for that top off 4WD sensation then a Jeep is a way easier path. But overall I think the Defender/Discovery 1/RRC architecture is better. Not great but once you know it, it is pretty straight forward to work on and when setup properly with good condition parts it gives a good ride on and off road.
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:38 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Corrosion is the biggest issue. Rust is never ending. If you don't mind doing some welding, it is actually inexpensive to fix yourself as the parts are available and cheap and relatively easy to weld on (my first real welding project was an outrigger on a series truck -- to my knowledge it is still holding up fine), but I would not recommend that as a path forward on a budget that does not including you doing the work and willing to live with patches instead of a new frame, bulkhead, t-pieces.

People will basically give away V8 motors, but the fuel economy make a G500 look thrifty, but of the legally importable motors, it is the only one that will keep up with traffic and would be my choice.

Converting the LHD is very expensive these days as rover has caught on and all the dash parts have dried up or become crazy money. Frankly rover sucks. They went from a company which you could order pretty much anything from SIIA (ie early 1960s on) new, genuine of high quality at a reasonable price. Now there are more issues. Short of the popular domestic cars and Porsche, rover parts availablity is still tops, however, you are just stuck more with aftermarket which sometimes is not as good of quality.
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:02 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Spend some time with the search function in the forum. Then get a realistic budget, 10k will get you a pos.

Old July 4th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Hypothetically speaking if you were able to get a Defender....delivered to the USA for under $10,000. And it wasn't seized and crushed by US Customs for reasons discussed elsewhere in this forum. You'd have a junker on your hands that may not actually move under its own power and an empty wallet. Then you discover that it needs to be ripped apart and rebuilt at an estimated cost of $20,000 for new chassis, bulkhead, engine, drivetrain, springs shocks fuel lines, brake lines, wiring, seating. That's before gong into paint, interior fixtures and fittings etc etc. Thats just parts alone. Forget professional labor.
Doubling your budge will help a little. And the forum has its own guy who selects and imports Land Rovers.
Do it right first time, or be prepared to pay three times what your initial outlay was

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Defender ownership is a labor of love. You have to want one to own one.
They are quirky like others have mentioned, however their uniqueness outweighs their faults.
Being handy with a wrench will same you $$$

A Defender is like an old charming house, loads of character along with constant upkeep...
Good luck...

Cheers...

Old July 4th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Here is one up in Washington State. http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/3913001382.html in your price range to.

Now play spot the issues. New Chassis for starters.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:35 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerruno93 View Post
Thank you
- Jerry
Most of us are living in the US, so most of your concerns aren't really seen as concerns to us. Although there are certainly some that are overpriced for their condition, there are also many that sell for less than the regular market rates, so it would just take work and patience on your end to find one cheaper than whatever you're basing your price research on.

Your steps should be: 1) research/read up on defenders a ton for a few weeks. The search button works great here. 2) establish a realistic budget. 3) post a wanted thread here, but also pour over the current inventory on this forum. 4 (or maybe earlier)) find a forum member near you who would be willing to allow you to drive his/her truck to see what they're like. 5) look for your truck. If you find one local, have a member look at the truck with you. If its far away, ask if a member would be willing to inspect it for you. I'm probably missing some steps, but you get the point. Tons of info on this site for those willing to search around a little.
Old July 5th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Zooraya
Bani
1995 NAS D90

Great advice, Josh. I wish I had spent more time on this forum prior to my purchase. No matter how much you know about these trucks there's always something new to learn.

Advice to anyone wanting a defender: If you're looking for a fun off road vehicle that's utilitarian and requires little maintenance, go with a wrangler. If you're passionate about the LRs, enjoy spending Saturdays with a wrench and a screw driver in your hand, and are the type of person who is patient and has the funds to remedy the finicky problems that can come from Defender ownership then stay patient and keep hunting for the right truck for you. It literally took me 6 years to find my D90. Now that I finally have it, I couldn't be happier.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions