Exmoor/Wright 3-Piece Mats - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 31st, 2011, 07:07 PM
Last Chance Rand
Randy
94 D90 #913

Exmoor/Wright 3-Piece Mats

Question, please, for those who have installed the Exmoor/Wright 3 piece acoustic mat system. My project is a 1994 NAS D90.

1. The bonnet release is mounted through the firewall above the tunnel. I do not think this is stock. The bonnet release is not provided for in the firewall mat. How did you handle making a cut out for the bonnet release? Did you have to remove and reinstall the entire bonnet release?

2. How did you accommodate the hand break? Did you cut a large whole and insert the hand break though the hole? Did you remove the break handle & cable entirely?

3. Did you install over the stock seatbox trim material, or did you bother to remove first?

Thanks.
R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2011, 09:09 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

1) Sounds like the factory location to me. Wright does not put holes in the mat so that they will work on both right and left hand drives. You will have to drill all of your bolt holes. I drilled a hole the size of the grommet around the cable. You can't see it very well in the pic's but I cut two small slits in either side of the hole to allow the handle to pass through. If you wanted to take the time you could take the cable out and fish it though.

2) Yes. I removed the hand brake bracket and removed the cable from the bracket. Then install the mat and mark the holes from underneath. A hole saw works well for cutting the larger hole for the cable. Reinstall the bracket with the mat sandwiched between the bracket and seat box. I can't remember if longer bolts are needed.

3) You will need to remove the seat box trim as it is a pretty tight fit. It is so thick it interferes with the door cards. If you were able to leave the trim on it would only make the issue worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0047.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	43297  
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Last Chance Rand
Randy
94 D90 #913

Thank you kindly -- grateful for your advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2011, 10:47 AM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

Does the mat really cut the noise down much? I am considering one. I have cut the road/gear noise down considerably through the use of rubber matting and some flashing, but wondered if this product would be better?
Thanks
Joe
Old November 5th, 2011, 11:07 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.

It does make a difference on noise as well as heat. I wish they made one for the rear.
Old November 5th, 2011, 04:45 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

For those of you with this setup, how does it handle getting wet? (trapping water under the mat) Here in south FL, I think it's rained every day for the last 6 months, so needless to say... floor boards get a little damp. Previous owner cut out the carpet on the front floor (I guess due to getting wet) and put rubber mats. So after a nice rain, I lift said mat up and wipe with the towel permanently stationed behind my driver's seat. I like the sound of the Exmoor setup a lot, just don't want to have a constantly damp floor in gloriously humid south FL.

Thanks!
-Aaron
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:18 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.

Guess it's like any other rubber mat. It is pretty easy to lift up and wipe out if you do get water in the floor. I would consider it much better than carpet where water is concerned.
Old March 10th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

James,

Considering this. Can you post pix of the seat belt mounting (between the seat box and the door)?

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:51 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.

These are the only two pic's of that area I have on file. Let me know if you need something different.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	49079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	49080  

Old March 15th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
manufacturer recommends using waxoyl or the like on the steel bits under the mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierce View Post
Guess it's like any other rubber mat. It is pretty easy to lift up and wipe out if you do get water in the floor. I would consider it much better than carpet where water is concerned.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:14 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I am currently installing the one piece floor mat. I need to get the mat over and then under the hand brake.

Do I really need to remove the hand brake to accomplish this or is there a way I can wiggle this around the brake. I know to install the seat box portion I will need to remove all kinds of things, including the hand brake.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:22 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
I am currently installing the one piece floor mat. I need to get the mat over and then under the hand brake.

Do I really need to remove the hand brake to accomplish this or is there a way I can wiggle this around the brake. I know to install the seat box portion I will need to remove all kinds of things, including the hand brake.
You might as well start with the seat box portion first, since the one piece floor actually overlaps it a bit.

I didn't have to remove the handbrake. However, I've got an LT77 so mine could be different. I'd recommend getting a helper, as you know the mat is heavy and a bit awkward to move about.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:24 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.

It is easier to remove the hand brake or at least unbolt it without disconnecting the cable so that it will flex over out of the way. The wright mat is very big, stiff and heavy.
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:32 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Thanks.

I don't have the other 2 pieces yet. They won't be available until Spring. Currently have nothing for matting so wanted to get the floor in now.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:16 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Removed handbrake and installed just the floor piece. I did have to cut a small area for the gas pedal to function properly. It was getting stuck on the edge of the mat.

Prior to installation I did install dynamat on the floor, and any other exposed areas. I also left an older pair of insulated floor mats on both sides- LR mats that were in a 90 at one point.

My rubber floor mat won't fit on top of the Exmoor mat on the driver's side- interferes with the pedals. I may cut it down at the top and see as I like having that to pull out and wash vs stomping all over the Exmoor mat that is harder to get out.

Drove the truck last night and for noise reduction it is significant. Weather has been nice here so I haven't been able to comment on heat/cold insulation. Aesthetically it's nice- clean and fits well. A gap at the tunnel in front of the seat box but I haven't installed the seat box portion or the piece that goes behind the fuse panel.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:31 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Removed handbrake and installed just the floor piece. I did have to cut a small area for the gas pedal to function properly. It was getting stuck on the edge of the mat.

Prior to installation I did install dynamat on the floor, and any other exposed areas. I also left an older pair of insulated floor mats on both sides- LR mats that were in a 90 at one point.

My rubber floor mat won't fit on top of the Exmoor mat on the driver's side- interferes with the pedals. I may cut it down at the top and see as I like having that to pull out and wash vs stomping all over the Exmoor mat that is harder to get out.

Drove the truck last night and for noise reduction it is significant. Weather has been nice here so I haven't been able to comment on heat/cold insulation. Aesthetically it's nice- clean and fits well. A gap at the tunnel in front of the seat box but I haven't installed the seat box portion or the piece that goes behind the fuse panel.
Aosias,
Nice avatar!

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:43 AM
budzny
Real4X4
NAS 97 ST/NAS 93 110/62
Birthday Committee Team

Alex, Any pictures? Thanks

Sal
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Aosias,
Nice avatar!

Cheers...
Thanks. That's Gracie, she's 8-9 we're not sure and hilarious.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3478.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	65025  
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:52 AM
budzny
Real4X4
NAS 97 ST/NAS 93 110/62
Birthday Committee Team

Thanks, Alex! How about drivers side?

Sal

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exmoor, ht, mats