Exmoor trim seat recovering - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 16th, 2009, 06:51 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

If they fit right away they would likely get loose over time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I bought six new Exmoor Trim seats for my D90. I spent a pretty penny but was not very pleased in relation to what I spent. I contacted Exmoor Trim but didn't hear back. The worst part was the lack of directions and random sets of hardware they sent me. The inward facing seats (not the standard, the thicker version) had pre-drilled holes that just didn't make any sense whatsoever. In addition, no directions on what the distance between the seats should be so that you avoid drilling through the support beam or any other component underneath. Good old fashion trial and error was all I had. They could have saved me the trouble by sending directions.

I also wish they would have mentioned the variables of having sound proofing and rubber mats and to account for that thickness by using spacers and longer bolts so as to no distort the mat. That would have been a nice thing to put into the instructions, had there been any. Also for the folding rear seats the metal is really thin so if you put a bit of torque on it and there is a rubber mat/soundproofing underneath the metal distorts. The seats themselves look very sharp (all black canvas, MOD style) and they are very comfortable but I am disappointed with the hardware (poor quality, random attachment hardware sent) and the customer service.
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

So I am not the only one. Also, the moreland cloth does not match the original very well and has a stupid red tag that says exmoor on it. If I were to do it again, I would have bought a complete used seat.
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FWIW I have bought two two pairs of the full leather seat sets with foams and head rest etc. I agree the instructions suck but its very self explanatory. I can do a seat base in 30 mins while watching television. The bottoms are easy and you shouldn't need help. The seat backs are a whole nother issue. The two tracks that lock together at the bottom of the upholstry are virtualy impossible to get to lock ( a least with the leather). I took the seat frame to a local shop and they charged me $75 to do a pair of the backs. I asked them what they did. He said it took 4 guys-ie 8 hands to press and hold the cover while a fifth guy locked the two strips together. Being leather after a year of my fat arse in the seats they are now very nice and far more comfortable. Another thing to be pointed out is that Exmoor's replacement foams are much more dense foam than oe-ie they are firmer seats than oe. My advice is don't cut the foam-you shouldn't have to.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I forgot to mention one thing. One of the four inward folding seats from Exmoor Trim had a different shade fabric on the bottom. Again, not a huge deal but it is noticeable when the seats are folded up. That just shouldn't happen, not for any product but especially in that price range. That's just sloppy.

The seats were not complicated to install but for one thing and that is why I say they should have provided instructions. The inward rear seats mount differently than the stock ones and the screw holes are in different positions than the old seats so you can't use the holes for your old seats. I doubt Exmoor Trim has put any thought into the location and spacing of these new holes because they are located such that they are likely to hit a support beam underneath the wheel well in which case you cannot fasten them and you have to move the seat and drill a new hole. I'm not too keen on drilling more holes than I need but there really is no way of knowing but trial and error and they could have spared me the trouble by putting some thought into the hole locations.
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

sounds like i'll just be buying the foams and having a shop custom do the covers (i have badger covers over that as well) but am installing heaters.

95' D90 - daily driver..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cover, exmoor