Exmoor Trim Acoustic Mat worth it? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2015, 09:47 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Exmoor Trim Acoustic Mat worth it?

$700+ dollars, does it really make a difference? What? I can't hear you lol.

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2015, 09:56 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
I think I saw a post where safari had one for lt77 for like $599.

I've got one but I haven't installed it yet, so I have no opinion.
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:02 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Like this?? http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/store/de...em-detail.html I did just the tunnel and driver/ passenger floor and it helped...some but nothing dramatic. Did the rear cargo Matt, that helped some and did under hood spray with lizard skin. All combined it helped a lot but still can't hear shit at 65mph on the highway with km2's.
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2015, 10:14 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
Like this?? http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/store/de...em-detail.html I did just the tunnel and driver/ passenger floor and it helped...some but nothing dramatic. Did the rear cargo Matt, that helped some and did under hood spray with lizard skin. All combined it helped a lot but still can't hear shit at 65mph on the highway with km2's.
What?? I can't hear you I'm fucking deaf

------ Follow up post added March 4th, 2015 10:15 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
What?? I can't hear you I'm fucking deaf
But yeah... That one
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:16 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

And I quote from every family trip we've done "Honey I can't hear you...no I have no idea what the kids are saying in the back"
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:20 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
And I quote from every family trip we've done "Honey I can't hear you...no I have no idea what the kids are saying in the back"
Isn't that a good thing? I did 8-hours with a 5-year-old and Pedro, the only blessing was that I COULDN'T hear a damn word anyone was saying (or asking!).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 4th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Do they make one for an automatic transmission tunnel?

Is it even worth it for a V8?
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:34 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

If you have an LT 95 I'd say yes. Unless I just had a really whiney 4 speed in my V8 110.

I have/ had the acoustic mat in my 200 TDi. I think it is most noticeable during around town driving. Once at highway speeds it's all a wash because of the wind noise.

I currently have the floor piece in and am deciding if I need to use the seat box portion or not. I think if I could get the triangle pieces that go up against the bulk head around the transmission tunnel I'll use those again too.
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Do they make one for an automatic transmission tunnel?

Is it even worth it for a V8?
there is no such thing as an auto trans tunnel in a d. The 97 NAS 90 used an r380 tunnel

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 4th, 2015, 11:32 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
there is no such thing as an auto trans tunnel in a d. The 97 NAS 90 used an r380 tunnel
Then that's likely what I have. I know the old LT77 tunnel was swapped out when the auto conversion was done.
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I'm not sure they have one for your fitment...........
Old March 5th, 2015, 12:01 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I like mine but it came with the truck.
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:52 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I have a 200 tdi 110 and I thought it made a huge difference. From having to yell when you are driving at speed to actually being able to have a normal conversation. I would spend the money again if I had to
Old March 5th, 2015, 02:00 AM
javelinadave
-
-

I have the floor mat model on my ST. It is noticeably quieter with it installed.
Old March 5th, 2015, 09:06 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I'm not sure they have one for your fitment...........
is says right in your catelog, 1984-1992. so the 87 fits!
Old March 5th, 2015, 02:45 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
I noticed a small improvement in my 90, it seemed to dull the tinny tone a bit...sort of like turning down the treble. I only have the floor and tunnel cover, w Hardura on the seat box.

My mat required some trimming to fit well though, and some of the folds from packing are still there after almost one year. Maybe I am being too careful w/ heat gun trying to smooth them out.

if you are anywhere near me, be glad to let you experience it after salt season.
..tolerant Wife...
Old March 5th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
If you have an LT 95 I'd say yes. Unless I just had a really whiney 4 speed in my V8 110.

I have/ had the acoustic mat in my 200 TDi. I think it is most noticeable during around town driving. Once at highway speeds it's all a wash because of the wind noise.

I currently have the floor piece in and am deciding if I need to use the seat box portion or not. I think if I could get the triangle pieces that go up against the bulk head around the transmission tunnel I'll use those again too.
Josh has an r380 setup. Wright Offroad the manufacturer who supply Exmoor doesn't make the acoustic mat setup for the lt95setup.

Installing half the setup and commenting on its effectiveness is pointless. It is effective enough that the ministry of defense installed it in all the defenders currently in service so that radio communications could be heard. They are meant to require some fitment as defenders vary somewhat.

Technical Info

http://www.wrightoffroad.com/fitting_instructions.htm

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 5th, 2015, 03:22 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Josh has an r380 setup. Wright Offroad the manufacturer who supply Exmoor doesn't make the acoustic mat setup for the lt95setup.
However, if one has an LT95 and wants to use the R380 mat system it can be done.

I updated my tunnel et al. to the R380 tunnel the mat system works well. I also relocated the vac diff lock switch to the top of the tunnel and it uses the diff lock location in the R380/LT230 boot. and the e-brake uses a D1 lever and is out of the way on the top of the seat box, but I digress. It can be done, and at least in my rig, the wife commented on how much quieter is was, not quiet, but quieter.
Old March 5th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Werrea
Anthony Werre
08 LR3

I have the mat. It came with the truck. I also installed the Noise Killer blanket, front cab, and under bonnet kit. I thought it made a large difference. But echo others. At 60+, it really doesn't make any difference with all the other noise. Around down is great. I can really hear the turbo now.

My next step is to install horse stall mat in the rear cargo area and middle row floor.

Straight through exhaust is a little loud at 60 or so. But then again, I need to swap the 1.6 to 1.4.

My wife says I am deaf anyways, but trying to quiet it down for my son.
Old March 5th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
However, if one has an LT95 and wants to use the R380 mat system it can be done.

I updated my tunnel et al. to the R380 tunnel the mat system works well. I also relocated the vac diff lock switch to the top of the tunnel and it uses the diff lock location in the R380/LT230 boot. and the e-brake uses a D1 lever and is out of the way on the top of the seat box, but I digress. It can be done, and at least in my rig, the wife commented on how much quieter is was, not quiet, but quieter.
Paul, that sounds very cool. You are now obliged to post pictures.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions