Exmoor Trim Acoustic Mat worth it? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 5th, 2015, 04:38 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werrea View Post
I also installed the Noise Killer blanket, front cab, and under bonnet kit. I thought it made a large difference.
Good info.. I was just looking at their stuff last night.

Land Rovers Soundproofing - Vehicles - NK Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchrollyaw View Post
I noticed a small improvement in my 90, it seemed to dull the tinny tone a bit...sort of like turning down the treble. I only have the floor and tunnel cover, w Hardura on the seat box.

My mat required some trimming to fit well though, and some of the folds from packing are still there after almost one year. Maybe I am being too careful w/ heat gun trying to smooth them out.

if you are anywhere near me, be glad to let you experience it after salt season.
Prolly take you up on the offer. Right now I have a puzzling occasional non start to contend with.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 5th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have the noisekiller transmission and engine blanket. they definitely made a difference to diesel valve train noise and transmission whine. I think adding the acoustic mat would really finish off controlling the sound. My engine knows (after it's warmed up) is very manageable knows. Now I'm down to wind, KM2 and a bit of residual tranny noise.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2015, 04:51 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I like how they offer different kits and cut it to your vehicles specs. Easy install. Plus, it adds little layer of cushioning to the interior.
Old March 5th, 2015, 05:03 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
If there was a way to do both sides of the firewall / bulkhead, underhood, trans tunnel and the footwells / floor would definitely cut down on the diesel clanking....it would also help regulate temperature...both sides of the firewall would be huge...

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old March 5th, 2015, 05:07 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by icnsltmfg View Post
If there was a way to do both sides of the firewall / bulkhead, underhood, trans tunnel and the footwells / floor would definitely cut down on the diesel clanking....it would also help regulate temperature...both sides of the firewall would be huge...
They sell high temp sound insulation that could be applied to a clean firewall and spray on for for the underside. I'm not sure I would spray the underside but each to their own.
Old March 5th, 2015, 10:34 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I have the noisekiller transmission and engine blanket. they definitely made a difference to diesel valve train noise and transmission whine. I think adding the acoustic mat would really finish off controlling the sound. My engine knows (after it's warmed up) is very manageable knows. Now I'm down to wind, KM2 and a bit of residual tranny noise.
Did you source the noise killer stuff directly?
Old March 5th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Yes.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 6th, 2015, 01:10 AM
Werrea
Anthony Werre
08 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
I also contacted them directly and they were fantastic to deal with. Prompt shipping and great communication. Had it in 2 days from order time.
Old March 6th, 2015, 02:59 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Anyone tried this stuff?

Sound Proofing Material from Netherland Rubber Co Inc Vehicular Insulation Panel | eBay

Government surplus sound proofing rubber pads for Hummer vehicles
These can be used in several applications, like construction, music studios, etc.
They are made by the Netherland Rubber Co Inc
The size is approx. 4.5 x 4 feet and 1.5 inches thick
These all come in their own box, new

Please note, I will combine shipping and give buyers a discounted price for buying more than one. Buyer will be responsible for additional shipping even though the initial invoice may not show it. I will provide freight prices if buyer wants to purchase a large quantity.
Old March 6th, 2015, 03:27 PM
scrubs
henery

What's it made out of?
Might be what I need
Old March 6th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
1.5 inches thick? Where the heck are you going to use that?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 6th, 2015, 03:41 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I know...it is pretty thick. I was thinking to use it in the tub area. Not glue it down so I can take it out whenever. I contacted the seller and told him I was thinking to get 2 and try it out. Since he offered a discount for multiple purchases in his ad...he responded with $18 per and if I ordered more he'd go lower.
Old March 6th, 2015, 03:48 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
$18 per sheet is dirt cheap. 1.5" is awesome. The thicker the better. Take a look at a Mercedes Benz. The acoustic foam under the carpet is like...3 inches thick.

When it comes to noise cancellation, ultra-thick open-cell acoustic foam is the stuff you need. dynamat etc just does not have the NRC.
Old March 6th, 2015, 04:09 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Went to a couple of military vehicle, Hummer and aircraft sites and read up about the techniques and products they use. These look interesting so thought I'd share.
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:07 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Paul, that sounds very cool. You are now obliged to post pictures.
Here you go. R380 tunnel and seat box over an LT95, with the matting system. I relocated the diff lock switch to the LT230 location and the (disco 1) e-brake handle to the top of the seatbox, adjacent to the drivers seat. The LT95 high/low lever is necessarily in the stock location. Overall, I'm quite pleased with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1425765347756.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	115494Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1425765401982.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	115495Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1425765449652.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	115496
Old March 20th, 2015, 08:31 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I've had the Wright Offroad mat in mine for maybe 8 years. I didn't notice the difference. It does dress up the interior which is nice. Now that the sting of paying for it is long ago forgotten, I'm happy to have it just for the visual appeal.

When I was replacing my bulkhead I sprayed everything I could with copious amounts of Al's HNR (heat & noise reducer) and that didn't seem to do anything either. I think none of it really matters unless you plug all the little holes where noise will get through no matter what else you do.

The one design detail I didn't like about the Wright Offroad mat is/was the material used to make it. They should have mixed in some fibres, because if you cut the mat to fit something, the cuts will turn into tears unless you're very careful when removing and fitting. So if you do need to cut, ovalize your corners to help prevent this.
Old March 20th, 2015, 10:00 PM
doktorno
Chris deZ.
1995 Defender SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Anyone tried this stuff?

Sound Proofing Material from Netherland Rubber Co Inc Vehicular Insulation Panel | eBay

Government surplus sound proofing rubber pads for Hummer vehicles
These can be used in several applications, like construction, music studios, etc.
They are made by the Netherland Rubber Co Inc
The size is approx. 4.5 x 4 feet and 1.5 inches thick
These all come in their own box, new

Please note, I will combine shipping and give buyers a discounted price for buying more than one. Buyer will be responsible for additional shipping even though the initial invoice may not show it. I will provide freight prices if buyer wants to purchase a large quantity.
Stuff looks interesting. Cannot tell if it would absorb water or not. One would think no.
Old March 20th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

How does the exmoor floor matting work against heat. Noise in a ST will always be there. Heat is my main aggravation.
Old March 20th, 2015, 10:16 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland View Post
How does the exmoor floor matting work against heat. Noise in a ST will always be there. Heat is my main aggravation.
It's been so long since I put it in that I have no point for comparison any more. It doesn't get super hot here; 35C would be a hot day. My feet get uncomfortable in the summer, but it's not terrible. Then again I have a 200tdi and you probably have a V8 so I at this point in my paragraph I realize I don't actually have any useful information for you.

My feet don't get too cold in the winter though, if that helps...

- Andrew.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions