Exmoor seat risers and Tall folk - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 13th, 2010, 10:53 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Exmoor seat risers and Tall folk

Has anyone here that is tall, 6"3" and above, used the Exmoor Trim Seat Risers on a D90 or 110. I bought the elite seats and also had them ship the risers to get me more leg room, as that is what they advertise, and now the fitter is telling me that he hits his head on the roof and has very little room for the legs under the steeling wheel. I've planned the interior nicely but only by the catalog so I have no first hand knowledge of the risers.

Does anyone here have first hand experience with the amount of leg room and head room added or removed by this product?
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2010, 02:49 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The problem with most of the extended rails is they also raise the seat, the Elite seat likely has more thickness to it than a normal seat as well. If it's a 90 non-truck cab you can get more backwards movement room with a bulkhead removal bar like the MUD UK one, or just move the seat mountings backwards depending on the room available/modifications you're willing to make.

Though really, you need to go sit in it and see where you want it to be and figure out how to do it. Everyone has a completely different opinion on where things are comfortable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Look another Calgary person I've never seen... First I've plug the club..... http://www.alre.ca/ There are quite a few advantages to being in the club... Contact me if you want more info...

The seat riser bars just allow the slider to clear the lip on the seat box. They don't really need to be as high as they are and you could make up shorter ones. You could also look at modding the seat box. Ive never really looked at it in detail (I'm not tall enough...).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2010, 06:44 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I'm 6'3" and I have gone back and forth between risers and no risers. I really don't have a preference. A defender is just never going to be comfy.

Never had a problem hitting my head on the roof, but maybe your seat bases are thicker. Just try both ways. If it was not bothering you before, don't put them in.
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. Sounds like what I expected to hear. I really do have to sit in it and feel it out. I recall my 90 having quite a bit of head room so I assumed the 110 would be similar and that I would not have any issues. We'll see what it's like when it get here in a week or two.

John, I've come by the Cat & Fiddle one night a year ago for one of the monthly meetings but nobody knew of any LR meet there. You probably did see my AA Yellow 90 around, we just never managed to hook up. Once the 110 gets here it should be ready to roll immediately minus the OOP inspection. Somewhat excited.
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Unless it is a pick up cab, you have to be like 7ft tall to hit your head in a defender.
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Aside from using seat risers to gain more leg room, I recall seeing a restoration pic where ECR modified the bulkhead support bar to gain additional seat back travel. This looked like an awesome modification.
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:33 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Unless it is a pick up cab, you have to be like 7ft tall to hit your head in a defender.
Or the ambulance it almost feels too big.
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Has anyone used a set of these in a NAS 110? You would obviously get the height gain, but I'm not sure if you would get any gain in rearward travel due to the internal roll bar which is right behind the seats...
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:26 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

i am 6'2" and put the rails from MUD UK in my d-90. you can definitely put the seat back farther which is more comfortable for me. plenty of headroom as others have noted. the added height makes it difficult to look up and see traffic lights at an intersection however.
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfisher View Post
the added height makes it difficult to look up and see traffic lights at an intersection however.
It's a 110 so being first off the line when the light goes green is not as important as in the A4. I'm kind of used to waiting for someone else to be first now anyways as all the traffic lights in Calgary are way up high and there is never a second set on a light pole on the corner like in Vancouver. That configuration rocks. My neck hurts.
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:53 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Well it's confirmed, these seat risers are horrible for being tall. Yes they can move the seat back another 6 inches but with my Defender Elite seats they also sit much higher than they would with a regular bottom cushion. I'll be picking up my Moto Lita wheel today so that should help with the entry leg room and I might fashion some sort of flat steel bar to move the seat back another couple inches without jacking it up two inches. I was looking out the back window and had to duck to do that. I'll post these for sale for the vertically challenged that need to sit a bit higher but that's about all these are good for.
Old July 6th, 2010, 10:56 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I agree, I installed the MUDUK version in my 1997 D90 and then removed them after driving with them for one weekend. I was looking out the Alpine window and my shoulder was rubbing the roll bar. The extra leg room was good, but not worth the trade off. I gave them to a friend that is around 5' 10" and they worked for him, but if you are 6'2" or above I don't think they work well.
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:01 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I wish I'd have known this all before. Another Land Rover related minor loss of funds, yet I continue on and will probably do it again.
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have both the Exmoor and Mud Uk sets. I'm 6'6. Since they lift your leg closer to the wheel I went with a smaller Momo wheel which also tightens steering response over the stock sailboat wheel. I currently have the exmoor rails under my driver seat and I definately prefer the Mud Uk rails. The top of my shoulder is behind the b post when I'm driving. Seat rails aren't the solution but they are an improvement if you are large.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 8th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

I made up a set of seat riser rails for my old 1997 D90 simple and cheep. Go get some 3/4 or 1 " square tubing (Home Depot has it. drill corresponding holes to seat rails, get longer grade 8 bolts and your done. only raises the seat an 1" but it is able to slide back further and keeps your knees at a better position. Works perfect at 5'11".
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:24 PM
hotroddef90
Rod Renfrow
1995 Defender 90 ST

bend tha seat back

I am 6 ft 4 in 250lbs and i had the seat back custom bent to wrap around the rear cage that sits behind the drivers seat. its much better than the risers as they truly obscured my view.....cheaper too!
good luck
Old July 9th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The one thing I have to say about Exmoor Trim is that they haven't put any thought into the actual use of the products they design. I bought 4 inward facing seats, the thicker version with thicker seat cushion. Had I known that most people would hit their heads on the roof (without headliner) I would have bought the seats with thinner seat cushions.
Old July 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I'm 5'6" and made rails with 1 1/4" alu rails from Home Depot (21$cnd), 5/16" * 3" bolts (6$) and washers (10 in rear only). It's great for me, but i notice there is minimal space to fit my legs... the problem is the steering wheel. But the extra height is great for the vue !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exmoor