Defender Source Forum banner

Exmoor: Cloth, Vinyl or Leather ?

12K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  Abrooks 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a pair of the Exmoor Trim seats for my SWB project. I don't have any existing seats so the re-trim option is ruled out. Trouble is I'm having a tough time deciding between cloth, vinyl or leather seats.

I realize that part of the decision has to do with how I intend to drive the vehicle and, to be honest, I'm not altogether certain just how much water will get into the vehicle. It's a hard-top and I don't see myself being super-hard-core.

Does anyone have experience with their seats to be able to share some insight?

#2 ·
Well, I initially bought their LR logo fabric retrims for my front seats. The samples looked nice, but when I received them, I just wasn't happy with the color and slight shimmer of the seat. It was supposed to be grey, but ended up with a greenish shimmer. Hard to explain. But looked like the MASK.

So I turned around and bought the XS leather fronts with heated seat pads. These are super nice, and I'm very pleased with them. They breath well, as the center section is a denier type of fabric, and the rest is a nice leather. I would recommend going to the leather. My feeling us, they hold up better to use and abuse.

#3 ·
I have set of their G4 material seats - its a much heavier vinyl than OEM. I don't really know how well it would go in a vintage rover since it has a fairly up-to-date look. What is your SWB project? A 88" series truck? I'd probably just go with some of their grey vinyl. I wouldnt worry about anything exmoor sells, it all appears to be of excellent quality.

#8 ·
Tdi asks What is your SWB project?

I'm restoring an 88" with some modifications to make it easier / more comfortable to drive. Originality takes a back seat to comfort and useability.

I have a quote for the Extreme Trakker cloth seats (TKE1) at $820 US for a pair with heater and lumbar support included.

#10 · (Edited)
Yeah Jim I am pretty impatient when it comes to ordering things, I want them now, I cant stand when things are on back order. But I will be amazed if they arrive at the end of next week. I would have ordered them Air Conditioned, but that wasnt a option:)

Matt- I will have the seats for sale, i will send you pics and you can tell me what you would like to pay for them. I have a good shipping company that I use so no need to worry about costly shipping charges, stay tuned.

m

#13 ·
Jim - thanks for the pic's, those look pretty awesome. Is the material the same as the XS with just a different design? I can't seem to find them on Exmoor's website - where should I look?

2 more quick q's - How well do the seat heaters work and what are you using for switches to control them? Thanks for helping.

#17 ·
I did something similar with my heated seat switches - I have a tuffy console so I put them in the little front section where the radio goes. I also wired 2 cigarett lighters in there too. The seat heaters work just fine - I have no complaints with their performance. Whe you buy them from Exmoor, they come as a complete system, so all you have to do is connect the main power lead to the batter, a switched lead to a 12v swichted source, and a ground.

#19 ·
dmarchand said:
You can see my switches in the 3rd pic, center of the center console just in front of the radio. They are both round, three position switches.
Do those switches come as part of the package from Exmoor?

Still can't find any info on the G4's on Exmoor's website. Is the G4 a full seat, retrim package or both?

Thanks guys.

#21 ·
Hi Martin,

What was the cost...including shipping? I saw that fabric a while ago in the SE3 and loved it! I recently discovered that Exmoor added that option...and I am psyched!

Thanks,
Brian

mpodgorski said:
I just ordered the G4 seats complete with runners. Its the same material as the freelander SE3, tougher feel. Cant wait to get and put them in. I am going to start the timer on Monday, I was quoted one day to prepare and four to ship.

M

#25 ·
The seats were very easy to re-do, but it took two hands so i didnt get much in the way of pix.

I think that, shipped, the new foam, upholstery, and heaters came to around 700 bucks. I dont remember what the pound rate was, but it wasnt good.

It took me longer to clean up and repaint the seat frames, mine were rusty and ugly and I had to sandblast them to get them decent again.

#26 ·
Randy

All said and done 941 shipped, thats for a pair of seats and rails.

Jim

I was going to post today saying that it didnt meet the deadline of coming in 4 days, but when the mail lady asked for help getting mail out of the truck, I knew that was exmoor.
Very happy customer. Oh the clock works great, thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.