Exmoor Acoustic Mat Repair - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 12th, 2016, 08:35 AM
ghoregon
Greg H
1984 Defender 90 Ex-MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
The buyers knew what they were getting.
Damaged goods at a cheap price.
Thats about the price of some floor mats.

The installation process is brutal.

At least they'll sit in a truck as a test for a few years before the landfill....who knows?

As a buyer I certainly knew that I was buying a damaged mat system. However, what wasn't clear to me was that the damage was not sustained in shipping and will continue to worsen over time (according to Exmoor). That is disappointing because I'm not sure I would've pulled the trigger had I known that. Caveat emptor I suppose.

Anywho, I've got what I've got and will plan on repairing the existing damage with 3M 5200 backed by thin rubber and hope for the best.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

------ Follow up post added September 12th, 2016 09:41 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
I wonder what the date range is of the defective ones. I've got a set sitting new in the box, but I've had it a couple of years I think.
I'm at work now, but will look for a date code or lot number on mine when I get home this evening. Guessing it's stamped into it somewhere. That may give you some indication if you are in the clear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoregon View Post
As a buyer I certainly knew that I was buying a damaged mat system. However, what wasn't clear to me was that the damage was not sustained in shipping and will continue to worsen over time (according to Exmoor). That is disappointing because I'm not sure I would've pulled the trigger had I known that. Caveat emptor I suppose.

I too am upset about that. At no point was that conveyed to us...discouraging for sure.
Old September 12th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think Drew's comment should be taken @ face value. Ie a manufacturer frustrated with a supply or process issue. So the mats are more prone to tearing than normal, which tear easily btw. The mats still offer incredible amounts of sound deadening and were discounted appx $600 off the normal price.
I'd say they represent a great value @ that price point.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2016, 09:56 AM
ATX_D110
Victor
1985 RHD D110 (SOLD)

At that price, look at it this way...... Sure as hell will be easier to cut/trim as needed!!!!
Old September 12th, 2016, 10:37 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoregon View Post

Anywho, I've got what I've got and will plan on repairing the existing damage with 3M 5200 backed by thin rubber and hope for the best.

------ Follow up post added September 12th, 2016 09:41 AM ------

I'm at work now, but will look for a date code or lot number on mine when I get home this evening. Guessing it's stamped into it somewhere. That may give you some indication if you are in the clear.

This is ridiculous, the mat system was basically free (16% of List Price). I got mine and it has tears in a few spots, but I was so happy to get the sound deadening at such a discount!

If you do not want this mat set, I will buy it off you for your current investment (including what shipping costed you) in it and you can go buy a $700 mat set brand new.

Did you try to install it as is? You might find you do not even notice the tears, and will also find it MUCH easier to install with that piece ripped.
Old September 12th, 2016, 07:16 PM
ghoregon
Greg H
1984 Defender 90 Ex-MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
I wonder what the date range is of the defective ones. I've got a set sitting new in the box, but I've had it a couple of years I think.
Hey Jafir. Here are the markings from my matting set in case they are helpful. Not sure if something here indicates date or batch number.
Old September 12th, 2016, 08:30 PM
BRAB
Brandon
200TDI in a RHD 1986 D90

I cut mine here for ease of service hahahhahahaha

dont fix it
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:09 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nice to see from the stamping they are recyclables, RN recycled them, Dale recycled them, just make sure when they fall apart you put them in the correct bin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old September 13th, 2016, 01:13 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Nice to see from the stamping they are recyclables, RN recycled them, Dale recycled them, just make sure when they fall apart you put them in the correct bin.Tapatalk
Now that has to be one of the funniest posts in a long time.

Seems like the manufacturer would have asked the vendors to dispose of them or return them for a credit. I know if it were my product I would not want them being passed around or used since it has the potential to make other people think your product is junk when it was just a bad batch.

Anyone know if RN or other vendors were offered a refund, credit and asked to dispose or return the product?
Old September 13th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
this thread should just die off quietly

The mats were damaged- they were sold at ridiculously low cost.

Buyers knew they were buying damaged goods for cheap.

Later, the manufacturer claims it to be a bad batch of rubber abd they should be disposed.
Who knows.They will probably be fine.

I still say its better to use them until they disintegrate before heaving them in the landfill.
The damaged mats are probably in better condition than most of the trucks they're going in... ha ha

I for one, wouldnt want to keep crying about this if it hurts RN's rep.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 17th, 2016, 11:11 PM
lrna04
Michael
1994 D90

Registry
I'd try the repair with Right Stuff. It's worked well to discreetly repair the NAS roll cage foam.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, exmoor