ExMOD 110 Rear folding step with drop gate? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Red Stick Defender
Paul Claxton
1987 Ex MOD 110

Registry
ExMOD 110 Rear folding step with drop gate?

Team,

I have a 1987 ExMOD 110 RHD and was considering adding a folding rear step to ease the 'loading of the fam-damily.' My question is with the drop gate, would this step even be usable? I've googled some photos but didn't see any good examples. I'm looking a part# RNF368 from Rovers North. Also, I was leaning on ordering 'Genuine' parts but would be happy to save the money if the Proline comes recommended. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2016, 07:32 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Won't be too much help with the drop gate. The genuine parts are good for certain application. But that folding step attach to the rear cross member is going to get all the muck and if you're living in a snowy region, it will rust quicker then you can imagine.. Proline is a good sacrifice item...

Hope this helps!
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:42 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
The tailgate sucks for getting people in and out and a rear folding step is not going to be of any help. Maybe build a step that can insert with the receiver hitch and have folks climb over the gate. Less effort IMO. Thats how we used to get into pick up trucks as a kid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Red Stick Defender
Paul Claxton
1987 Ex MOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
Won't be too much help with the drop gate. The genuine parts are good for certain application. But that folding step attach to the rear cross member is going to get all the muck and if you're living in a snowy region, it will rust quicker then you can imagine.. Proline is a good sacrifice item... Hope this helps!
Thanks!

------ Follow up post added February 9th, 2016 08:39 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
The tailgate sucks for getting people in and out and a rear folding step is not going to be of any help. Maybe build a step that can insert with the receiver hitch and have folks climb over the gate. Less effort IMO. Thats how we used to get into pick up trucks as a kid.
After looking through some photos, I'm thinking about converting it to a swinging gate. Good feedback - thanks.
Old February 15th, 2016, 01:10 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

I converted to swing away and it was absolutely the right decision if you're putting lots of passengers in and out. Generally speaking, for a fab job, it's pretty damn simple and easy to get right. The only real tricky part was getting the new latch mounted in the right spot.
Old February 15th, 2016, 01:32 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stick Defender View Post
Thanks! ------ Follow up post added February 9th, 2016 08:39 AM ------ After looking through some photos, I'm thinking about converting it to a swinging gate. Good feedback - thanks.
A nas style rear bumper would be ideal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 15th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Red Stick Defender
Paul Claxton
1987 Ex MOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPdotCOM View Post
I converted to swing away and it was absolutely the right decision if you're putting lots of passengers in and out. Generally speaking, for a fab job, it's pretty damn simple and easy to get right. The only real tricky part was getting the new latch mounted in the right spot.
Great feedback - I'll start this project this Spring!
Old March 1st, 2016, 07:51 AM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Quote:
Team,

I have a 1987 ExMOD 110 RHD and was considering adding a folding rear step to ease the 'loading of the fam-damily.' My question is with the drop gate, would this step even be usable? I've googled some photos but didn't see any good examples. I'm looking a part# RNF368 from Rovers North. Also, I was leaning on ordering 'Genuine' parts but would be happy to save the money if the Proline comes recommended. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Paul
I have a folding rear step on my 110...when folded up it sits just level with the floor. I have 3 teenagers who use it regularly to get out and in. It's a cheap Britpart one that fitted into the existing captive nuts in the chassis. I had to do a bit of adjusting to get it to fit and for the spring to hold it up but it was easy to do. It was that cheap if I ding it,bend it or rust it I'll just order another one. I can take pics if you wish.

All the best

------ Follow up post added March 1st, 2016 06:58 AM ------

Quote:
Team,

Paul
I have a folding rear step on my 110...when folded up it sits just level with the floor. I have 3 teenagers who use it regularly to get out and in. It's a cheap Britpart one that fitted into the existing captive nuts in the chassis. I had to do a bit of adjusting to get it to fit and for the spring to hold it up but it was easy to do. It was that cheap if I ding it,bend it or rust it I'll just order another one. I can take pics if you wish.

All the best

Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré 58112kms
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins Enduro Moto.
Old March 1st, 2016, 11:22 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I went to a swing gate and that was one of the best things I did to help with loading and unloading coolers and gear. It allows you to reach deeper into the bed, this really helps because a Yeti full of ice and beer can get kinda heavy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions