Exhaust system info - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 12th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
Exhaust system info

All,

I dug around and know that NRP makes a good kit but it's pricey. I found a local shop in San Diego that others have recommended. They will give me a header back with new cats for $1100 or so with a borla/magnaflow muffler. Mine keeps throwing catalyst codes and with it being the original exhaust it might be time. Also, there are a couple small pinholes in the system i can here. Just trying to clean things up while I have a couple bucks to fix her up.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2014, 03:17 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

For what model, engine, year ???

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old November 12th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
My apologies. 4.0 / Defender / 97.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

lots of guys don't like the throaty sound of a Borla. Which is it, you list Borla and Magnaflow, are they both on your list? Most I think go with Magna...less of a drone. One more thing, changing your system might not alleviate throwing the ox code all of the time. I changed my entire system including the manifold (from Magna to Borla) and I stuff on occasion throw a code after driving more than 8 hours.
Old November 12th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
Bill,

Thanks! They just can install both, so that is up to me. I might go magna as I do not want louder, I would like quieter. My end goal is to potentially have better numbers and to replace a system that might be less efficient because it is 17 or so years old.
Old November 12th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Well it will never be as quiet as you'd like. It simply is what it is...a tractor with creature comforts...if that's what you'd call them!
Old November 12th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Angus
Mike Ferguson
1994 Defender 90

Registry
For what its worth, I had the Borla and did not like the resonance or the volume from the system. My guess is it was due to the exit being basically under the truck. I switched to the NRP and like the exhaust note much better. I had to section and index the tailpipe to fit the mud flaps, but it points straight out the side. It sounds throaty, but does not resonate.
Old November 12th, 2014, 06:31 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
I ran the NRP for 10 years and was really happy with it. Had to replace the cats, but that's to be expected.

Back then, NRP was out of Oregon, but I think they were bought out by RN, (or someone else) so I'm not sure if it's manufactured the same as it was years ago. It had a great sound, (not too loud or annoying), and was a spot on fit.
Old November 12th, 2014, 07:00 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Well it will never be as quiet as you'd like. It simply is what it is...a tractor with creature comforts...if that's what you'd call them!
Hey now!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust