Exhaust System Advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 21st, 2006, 07:38 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Exhaust System Advice

Well - it finally happened! My exhaust system rusted through. It broke right behind the muffler with the pipe dropping down

The first time this happened, after about 5 years, I just replaced it with the original steel part - I did not think I would own the truck for ANOTHER 5-6 years Now I have the same issue with wether or not to get stainless steel...............I also am in need of a Gas tank Skid plate. Because the tailpipe goes right throught that area (and because it is time), I am going to replace both parts at the same time.

Looking through the Rovers North Book I saw:

N.R.P Stainless Steel REar Exhaust System (lifetime guarantee) - $599
New Galvanized Cradle for NAS 90 Fuel Tank - $199

Anyone have any experience with these parts...........They seem like they would be what I want.

-------------------------------------

ALSO - right now I have the tale pipe to the muffler supported by 4 hanger ties - from the tailpipe through the muffler. I can not get my D90 in right away- probably not until September - but it is not a daily driver so I will not have to drive it that much - just some very local errands. Do you think I will be all right? Is there any problem with the exhaust coming up under the vehicle until I get this replaced.

I could just not drive it I guess - but we all know how sad that would be

Thanks,

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2006, 08:23 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Hi Bert,

It's really a matter of preference which exhaust system you go with. There are other systems like Borla which are a tad cheaper, but personaly I would go with NRP (which I will have to do soon?). Also you may want to check if you can get away with the mufler section only for now. Check the DAP site, they piece meal the exhaust system.
As far as the galvanized tank guard, that is also a matter of choice. My concern about the galv. guard is that the guard takes a lot of road spray abuse. Once the galvanizing gets worn, then rust yet again. Check out Expedition exchange's
stainless steel guard that is powdercoated black. I have the unit and it is holding up real well.
Hope this helps.
Marc
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:52 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Borla is much better steel than NRP. Borla WILL last forever, early NRPs have rusted out already (including the one the P.O. put on mine). It is a tad louder than NRP (NRP is a tad louder than stock to begin with), but to me it is unoffensive.

I have a southdown fuel tank skid that covers the tank. It was cad plated and THICK. It had some surface rust after 5 years or so so I painted it black and then undercoated it. I think that is the way to go. Either that or thick stainless. The idea being you want no rust and it to be dent proof.
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2006, 10:11 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
x2 on the ss skidplate/gastank support. Not sure but i got a SS magnaflow muffler and standard tailpipe (not ss) for 180 at the local exhuast place. I like the sound and the cost. maybe consider that route as opposed to the NRP or Borla.
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:39 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

Before you order anything go to a custom exhaust shop. I had from my cats back replaced w/ stainless and stainless muffler for $300.
Old August 21st, 2006, 10:56 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

DRIVE IT! Well, if the fumes get bad then don't drive it, but otherwise you should be OK as long as the exhaust isn't blowing right on anything that could melt.
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:13 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Even the newer NRP's suck. And RN will only warrant the Y-pipes and Cat's for 2 years. The welds on mine are rusting after only 4 years and the overall quality leaves a lot to be desired for a "Lifetime" Warranty. Why bother replacing shit with shit?

Go to a muffler shop, get random technology cats and stainless pipes.

Do not make the same mistake I did. NRP is just a good waste of money. That's all.

EwS
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:21 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I did the NRP and Expedition Exchange skid plate.
I live at the beach, so I it sounds like I am in for a dissapointment soon....
But it went on well and sounds good to me
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:02 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Watch your welds. They rust first....

EwS
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:53 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
From what I'm hearing about NRP, I guess I have to withdraw my recommendation. My problem with Borla was that
I once dealt with them direct (for my 400i ) and they took forever to deliver. Excuse after excuses...
But I guess it's OK if a dealer has them in stock..
Old August 21st, 2006, 04:06 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Thanks everyone for the advice! I probably can not get the truck in to be repaired until Mid September......so I have time to continue my research until then.

I have had a conversation with Treasured Motor Cars - my Rover repair shop. They recommend the NRP muffler. When I told them there had been some concern on the D-90 site about the muffler, the service guy was surprised. They have been putting on that muffler for a while, and have put on 4 to 5 this year to be sure. They have not had complaints back.......

With Treasured Motor's reputation on this site, I am surprised that they would recommend a bad product........YET Eric seems pretty confident about his feelings about NRP.

Might have saved me from a mistake............I will keep doing some research as well.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

Flagg
Old August 21st, 2006, 05:04 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

NRP has issues.
It is made from 516 stainless and that is not the best stainless. The mufflers they use are very nice, but they use a low grade welding wire that will rust. A 516 pipe will rust and become one with the other pipe in time. If you just need the tail section the NRP is an OK choice, but forget their Y pipes (IMO). The Borla tail section is a little louder, but made of better material.
NRPs go on nicely, but its the long term where they suffer. People buy "stainless" thinking it will last forever, in the NRP case... it won't. We also touted the NRPs until we started to see them coming back a few years later, and then we had a number of cats go bad in less than 100 miles. For gearbox removals and such we were having to cut NRP pipes that were just put on a year or so before (not good for the customer).
Look for a 304 stainless system or just replace stock with stock.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old August 21st, 2006, 05:19 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I'm not too keen on a louder sounding Rover gas engine. My system is still good after 11 years. Maybe stock is the way to go...
Old August 21st, 2006, 05:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij

NRP is not horrible. Especially in Maryland it will take at least 5-10 years to rust, whereas Borla will last indefinately. In the snow belt or NE it is another story. TMS is a great shop BTW, though I understand Trevor is now off on his own.

As far as cats genuine are as good as any. Lots of early RRCs running around on the stock cats with lots of miles and they have not rusted out (I have never actually seen a rusted out Y-pipe, probably because the heat keeps them dry) only cat failure necessitates replacement. Last time I checked (years ago now) advanced evap Y pipes for Disco I were in the $600 range so I would use them for everything, plugging the rear two O2 holes. YMMV

The D90 stick tailpipe is only about $120 and the muffler is common enough to find a cheap replacement. Stock works well too.
Old August 21st, 2006, 07:08 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
Thanks everyone for the advice! I probably can not get the truck in to be repaired until Mid September......so I have time to continue my research until then.

I have had a conversation with Treasured Motor Cars - my Rover repair shop. They recommend the NRP muffler. When I told them there had been some concern on the D-90 site about the muffler, the service guy was surprised. They have been putting on that muffler for a while, and have put on 4 to 5 this year to be sure. They have not had complaints back.......

With Treasured Motor's reputation on this site, I am surprised that they would recommend a bad product........YET Eric seems pretty confident about his feelings about NRP.

Might have saved me from a mistake............I will keep doing some research as well.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

Flagg
They're really not feelings. More observations. The system costs to much, isn't warrantied, and rusts.

I have serious rust issues at the weld and am pissed considering I could have had a muffler shop do it right in the first place.

If your in the rust belt, NRP isn't the way to go.

EwS
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:09 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

People seem to be in full aggrement that the N.R.P adds say it will last forever - but everyone is also in aggrement that it won't.

N.R.P. says they have a lifetime guarantee - is this false too - or would they replace their parts?

Mike Smith - two questions:
1) what happened to your customrers with N.R.P exhaust systems that you had to remove or that were rusting.
2) Is this the muffler and tail pipe that you recommend?
http://www.borla.com/applications/lo..._System/14764/

Thanks everyone!

Flagg
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
get the local exhaust guy to make you something up, ill be he can get all stainless pipe to and make it for less than one of those you mention above.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:46 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

The main reason I was thinking of doing it at a rover shop is that I afraid if I touch the gas tank skid plate it will fall off! It is rusting pretty bad......Actually it probably has a few more miles left in it, but I do not think you could detach it and re-attach it ever again.

I was going to get a new gas tank skid plate at the same time............would it not be easier to replace the tailpipe by taking off the skid plate first (and in that case I want to have a new one ready to go on).? It looks like I might be able to snake it through there, but I was not sure - and just held it up with hangers at 4 points for now............

I am in a debate with wether or not I just replace it with cheap steel - or spend more for stainless. I had this same debate 5 1/2 years ago. And I said "I will never still own the truck when it rust off again........"

Well here I am - these trucks are like a disease........I am leaning toward stainless - I will probably still own the truck 5 years from now - and either way it has to slightly increase the resale down the road? Right?

Back me up! I need moral support!

Flagg
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Skidplate does nothing to interfere with or influence the removal of the exhaust and vice versa.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
People seem to be in full aggrement that the N.R.P adds say it will last forever - but everyone is also in aggrement that it won't.

N.R.P. says they have a lifetime guarantee - is this false too - or would they replace their parts?

Mike Smith - two questions:
1) what happened to your customrers with N.R.P exhaust systems that you had to remove or that were rusting.
2) Is this the muffler and tail pipe that you recommend?
http://www.borla.com/applications/lo..._System/14764/

Thanks everyone!

Flagg
I would clarify it with the source.

If you think about it a cat or muffler will not last a lifetime. So what does the warranty cover? The pipes?

EwS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust