Exhaust System Advice - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
People seem to be in full aggrement that the N.R.P adds say it will last forever - but everyone is also in aggrement that it won't.

N.R.P. says they have a lifetime guarantee - is this false too - or would they replace their parts?

Mike Smith - two questions:
1) what happened to your customrers with N.R.P exhaust systems that you had to remove or that were rusting.
2) Is this the muffler and tail pipe that you recommend?
http://www.borla.com/applications/lo..._System/14764/

Thanks everyone!

Flagg
I don't recommend the Borla. It is too loud for most of my customers. It is however made of better materials than the NRP, so I was just giving the facts. Personally I hate the exit end look of the Borla.

Customers with NRPs were advised that we were going to have to cut their pipes. What they did past that as far as a "warranty" I do not know. RN has warrantied the bad Y pipes we have had and replaced them with new ones, but I don't feel that "lifetime warranty" extends into corrosion and people putting on the clamps too tight. In most cases the "lifetime warranty" would cover workmanship defects, but that is a questions for NRP or RN.

We make our own 304 SS systems with Random Tech cats now to avoid all this BS and offer the customers true long term systems. However the system I designed is a complete system, you can't use just the tail section without the Y pipe (because the tubes are bigger) and for this group ya-all would freak at the price, about 1800. for the entire system, so lets not even discuss that system.

Use stock or have a local shop do something for ya.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Mike,

That's only a couple hundred more than the full NRP system. Y cats alone are spendy for NRP...

EwS
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Mike,

That's only a couple hundred more than the full NRP system. Y cats alone are spendy for NRP...

EwS
I know, but that still doesn't change people's perception that it is "the most costly D90 system on the market" and I designed the system to be everything I wanted, not a "budget" system headed for mail order. I toyed with doing mail order of it but figured I just get hammered about the price and get 100s of my favorite question "What does it cost to ship to...".

There are some details of the systems here:
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/115.html
and
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/160.html

Not trying to sales pitch it, just shows the differences and why I think NRPs aren't that great and what I did in our system to correct those issues. We still use NRPs in the shop, especially the tail sections. I'm not a big fan, but its like voting for a President... pick the least idiot, eventhough they are both likely idiots.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Dopplemax
Matthew Cooper
1997 Monza Red D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
From what I'm hearing about NRP, I guess I have to withdraw my recommendation. My problem with Borla was that
I once dealt with them direct (for my 400i ) and they took forever to deliver. Excuse after excuses...
But I guess it's OK if a dealer has them in stock..
400i as in F-Car?

DMAX
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:47 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
I bought my NRP system 3 years ago directy from NRP. (cat back) So far it is holding up fine, with no signs of rust. (knock on wood). I picked up the Y pipe and cats on Ebay last year for cheap, and it's still in my garage waiting for my stock system to blow.

I thought NRP had gone out of business though. Thier web site is long gone.... did Rovers North buy them out or??

Follow-up Post:

I bought my NRP system 3 years ago directy from NRP. (cat back) So far it is holding up fine, with no signs of rust. (knock on wood). I picked up the Y pipe and cats on Ebay last year for cheap, and it's still in my garage waiting for my stock system to blow.

I thought NRP had gone out of business though. Thier web site is long gone.... did Rovers North buy them out or??
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:25 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
DMAX -[400i as in F-Car?]

Yup as in 1985 Euro F-car 12Cyl. 385HP/cust. twin adjust. racing shocks/285mphr gas guzzler.
Old August 25th, 2006, 08:23 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

OK, I give... whta is an F-Car. I was thinking Ferrari 400i, Ferraris 2+2 GT car, but they stopped maikng the 400i in 1984 and it only did about 160 mph.
What is a 400i F-car??
285 mph is amazing whatever it is.

Old August 25th, 2006, 09:48 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
The main reason I was thinking of doing it at a rover shop is that I afraid if I touch the gas tank skid plate it will fall off! It is rusting pretty bad......Actually it probably has a few more miles left in it, but I do not think you could detach it and re-attach it ever again.
Here are a few tips for when you have the skid plate installed.

1. Start applying pb blaster to the factory tank cradle bolts, this should save your mechanic some time/ effort and hopefully save you some $$ if he does not have to drill and tap busted bolts.

2. Prior to having the skid installed run your fuel level down as far as you feel comfortable with. Every gallon of fuel in the tank weighs approximately 6 lbs
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:59 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Ferrari 400i ,185mphr Euro spec tuned not 285. (I must have been dreaming in km.). The 400i was last imported into the US in 1984. In Europe the 400i was available in 1985, then that same year the 412i became available.
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:29 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Thanks to my ex I missed out on a 250 GTE for $35,000 last year . . .

(here wooshing sounds of the 30k I could have made on it this year)

I would love a 400i but almost all are auto. I have seen them sell in the under 20k range (actually well under 20)
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:33 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Yup, usually around 15K or more in good cond. The maintenance (parts) is the killer.
Old August 25th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Dopplemax
Matthew Cooper
1997 Monza Red D-90

Quote:
Yup, usually around 15K or more in good cond. The maintenance (parts) is the killer.
Very nice! I have a 79 BB512 and an 84 308 GTSi QV. Excellent taste sir!

DMAX
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:00 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
DMAX[Very nice! I have a 79 BB512 and an 84 308 GTSi QV. Excellent taste sir!]

Well it's a great 400i, 20K on the odo. jet black. It sports Racing suspension mods/twin adjust shocks running on HRE mags and low Profile Pirelli reds. It's a howling beast. BUT it does not compare to your '79 BB512!! which I'm partial to!. You sir have the excellent taste!
Old August 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

NRP was bought by Rovers North.
They used to be made in McMinnville, OR - about twenty miles from my house. I bought my D90 from the owner, Jon Brenna, and it included the original NRP exhaust prototype still on the vehicle. We don't have salted road issues here and the entire system still looks and works fine.
Old August 26th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Dopplemax
Matthew Cooper
1997 Monza Red D-90

Quote:
DMAX[Very nice! I have a 79 BB512 and an 84 308 GTSi QV. Excellent taste sir!]

Well it's a great 400i, 20K on the odo. jet black. It sports Racing suspension mods/twin adjust shocks running on HRE mags and low Profile Pirelli reds. It's a howling beast. BUT it does not compare to your '79 BB512!! which I'm partial to!. You sir have the excellent taste!
Let me know if you're ever in DC and we'll go for some rides! To keep this vaguely on topic, I prefer Tubi but have no idea if they would make a D-90 system!

DMAX
Old August 26th, 2006, 09:57 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
My present in-laws have a place in MD. I will take you up on it. Pretty sure tubi doesn't make anything for D90. Tubi does make incedible exhaust systems.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust