exhaust rust/dirt pile after starting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 20th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

exhaust rust/dirt pile after starting

In the last couple of months I have been traveling alot and haven't driven my D-90 for weeks at a time. Today after driving my Defender, upon returning home, I noticed an area of dirt and rust particles scattered on the floor a foot or so away from where the exhaust tail pipe is when parked. I remember finding similar dirt/rust a few weeks back, also after starting the car after 10 days of being parked. At that time I just thought it had blown in under the garage door, but now I am pretty sure it is the result of starting the engine and the exhaust pipe blowing out this stuff.

I was just wondering if this is something to be concerned about or is it due to my truck being parked for an extended period? The dirt, dust or rust particles that I find on the floor are a very fine brown/redish powder with a hint of a rust odor.

Thanks for any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2007, 12:46 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Rust odor? I didnt know that rust smells. Alas.

Either way, yeah, your exhaust is probably rotting from the inside out like they all do. Mechanically there is nothing to worry about, but the the thing will be scrap before long. Especially in a humid climate like you have down there, water is going to condense in and on the exhaust and rust it. Just plan for a stainless replacement.
Old November 21st, 2007, 09:27 AM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

Thanks Jim I figured as much. You are right that it must be from the inside out because the exterior of the exhaust pipes looks fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust, start, starting