Exhaust Routing- Stock or not? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 13th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Exhaust Routing- Stock or not?

My d90 has LR on the cats, so I believe the cats are original, or stock replacements at some point. I put the liquid steel on the exhaust to pass emissions, and it works great. The problem is that I missed a hole on top of one of the pipes on top going into the exhaust pipe, so I still get the exhaust smell. And, I want a permanent solution (new exhaust). I believe the current muffler is a Gibson, and has a sweet sound.

Is the muffler setup- 2 pipes (I believe each is 3.5inches around) into the muffler- stock? I want a magnaflow, but I think its one input and one output. What can be done to merge the 2 pipes from cats to muffler into 1 so I can get a magnaflow? FYI manifold gaskets are new, so I do not think there is any leaking there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Cats Back.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	36825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Input.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	36826  

Name:	Exhaust Input 2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	36827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust From Rear.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	36828  

Name:	Exhaust Rear.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	36829  

Old March 13th, 2011, 07:14 PM
barry f
94 ST #395
Looking at your pics and I could be wrong but only one of your cats look stock to me. The other looks like it was cut out and replaced. Nothing wrong with that. As far as the two pipes that is not stock either. The stock design became one pipe before the end. Not that this is stock but it will give you an idea as the layout is the same as what came on your truck.

Originally Posted by DefenderPilot View Post
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Tony Sims
1984 110
Cats look factory to me. The original ones are different shapes like that.

I don't think Magnaflow has dual inlet mufflers, Flowmaster does http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-8525554/
or you could just put a Y before the muffler.
[appropriated from Ren Ching] Most faults can usually be traced to the badge on the grill.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions