Exhaust Replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 11th, 2005, 07:33 PM
kleedee
Rob

Exhaust Replacement

At some point, my exhaust support bolt fell off allowing some vibration in my exhuast piping. As a result, the weld that connects the pipe to flange that then connects to the exhuast manifold flange failed. I also noticed that the other pipe to flange weld is starting to separate. In addition, the tail pipe is rusting through. I brought the Defender to a local shop and his recommendation is to replace the complete exhaust except for the muffler that appears to be still in good shape. This shop is pretty honest and usually would just reweld and fix instead of a full replacement if they can. They think they have a shop that can fabricate the exhaust piping. Estimate was $850-900 (everything included except Muffler).
Does anyone have any suggestions. Does this sound fair. I am located in San Diego and was looking for any other options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2005, 09:15 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

It seems a little high to me unless they are going to fab up some exhaust manifolds for you too. Then it might be just about right. Just for reference, I just bought some high flow catalytic converters and a muffler from Summit Racing all for about $170 plus shipping. Then I talked to a local custom exhaust shop show says he'll bend up the rest of the exhaust for me. He to bend up the rest of it, he quoted me $150 (as a high estimate) so I am planning around $200 for that, lol. That gives me a grand total of about $350-$400. Like I said, unless he's using a new y-pipe from the dealer, that seems like a high bid to me. Just my .02 though.
Old June 11th, 2005, 10:40 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Which part# from Summit?

For that little money I only see the Catco brand but that's not designated high flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2005, 11:06 PM
kleedee
Rob

Based on your estimate of $400, are you planning on installing the exhaust yourself? Do you know what a fair estimate or amount of time to install the exhaust (labor only) would be? I think the quote that I stated of $750-900 was all inclusive including labor. Any other help would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 11th, 2005, 11:41 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I'm guessing that a bunch of exhaust stuff is coming up right after oil cooler lines cause I was putting mine back on this morning...

Thanks in advance for any advice on this fellas, I appreciate it.
Old June 12th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleedee
At some point, my exhaust support bolt fell off allowing some vibration in my exhuast piping. As a result, the weld that connects the pipe to flange that then connects to the exhuast manifold flange failed. I also noticed that the other pipe to flange weld is starting to separate. In addition, the tail pipe is rusting through. I brought the Defender to a local shop and his recommendation is to replace the complete exhaust except for the muffler that appears to be still in good shape. This shop is pretty honest and usually would just reweld and fix instead of a full replacement if they can. They think they have a shop that can fabricate the exhaust piping. Estimate was $850-900 (everything included except Muffler).
Does anyone have any suggestions. Does this sound fair. I am located in San Diego and was looking for any other options.
Hello,

Fellow SoCal tax-payer. I hate to be the one to tell you this but that is a hard core rip-off. When you talk to him next, ask if that price includes Vaseline or if that is extra. There is no reason on this earth that a full exaust, everything from the header flange to the back should ever be more than $400. That is even high. I got my exaust made from all mandrel bent 3in tubing for $150. There is an excellent shop located on Miramar road about a mile west of The Rover Group. I will scrounge up the number and contact and post it for you. In the meantime, do not open your wallet!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Yeah, they're the catco cats, but I was told that they are more high flow than stock, that's why I went with them.

David, I agree with you, it should only cost $400 tops for an exhaust installation. And the fact that he isn't even getting a new muffler should lower that price a bit too.

Unless maybe... Are they doing a full stainless system? Rob?
Old June 12th, 2005, 08:35 PM
kleedee
Rob

Hello David...That is great to hear. If possible, can you post the name of the shop and number. Based on the $400 that you stated, is that the complete exhaust (Y Cat, muffler, and rear exhuast pipe)? What should I expect for labor and installation charges?? The timing of this couldn't be at a worse time. My wife is about to give birth any day now, and I am trying to find the most economical way to do this. What is your feedback on the Rover Group? Have they every done work on your Defender?
If the $750-900 quote that I stated earlier includes all installation and labor, do you think it is fair. Again, I appreciate all the help.
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey,

Congrats!! The Rover Group is the best shop I have ever had the pleasure to work with. They have done a lot of work for me and are very fair. The $750 with labor is a rip off. A good shop will do a comlete exaust from the header back for $250 max, then throw in a cat and muffler and you are at $400 ready to drive. Should take them 25minutes. Some shops make you buy there muffler, but if not, a Dynomax is $29 and is a good muffler. The cat is whatever it is, I don't know, I dont need them I will post up the info tomarrow night for you!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 12th, 2005, 11:20 PM
kleedee
Rob

Your information is greatly appreciated. With the shop's name and number, I will contact them to hammer out a price. Do they do all the exhaust fabrication there or do they have a local fab shop that does it for them? You still think they should be able to do it all inclusively for around $400 (including labor)? It still seems somewhat low. Before I got under the Defender I thought it was the exhaust manifold to pipe gasket. The Rover Group quoted me $220 to replace the gasket (including labor)? Thanks again for the help.
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:41 AM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

just a thought, what about borla stainless steel???? good????

-dan

ps> congrats on the upcoming junior!
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:04 AM
kleedee
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadanster
just a thought, what about borla stainless steel???? good????

-dan

ps> congrats on the upcoming junior!
Stainless is definitely an option, but I would think is signficantly more expensive? What are your thoughts. Price?
Old June 13th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

The shop is Wholesale Tube Bending. Phone is 858 536 8889. Call them up and tell them what you need and that it has to be on the cheap and they will hook you up. Post back when they quote a price.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 13th, 2005, 04:43 PM
kleedee
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
The shop is Wholesale Tube Bending. Phone is 858 536 8889. Call them up and tell them what you need and that it has to be on the cheap and they will hook you up. Post back when they quote a price.
I called them this morning. I told them by buddy recommended you and had similar work done.

Quote $1200.00

Includes: Y Cat, Muffler, Tailpipe

British Motors near Arena Quoted me $1000.00 with OEM parts.

He stated that Dualtone does quality work and if they are quoting $850.00 then go with them!!

I can't even find a Y-Cat for less then $471.00.

What do you think? I appreciate all your help.
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Call Jim at Rover Group. Tell him what is up and that I referred you. See what he can do for you. 858 689 8900. This is just strange.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old June 13th, 2005, 05:50 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

yeah, I agree that this is strange. All the shops around here quoted far less than that too. I know the price of steel is going up, but it can't be going up THAT much!!
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:09 PM
kleedee
Rob

Thanks for all the help guys!! I did as much research as possible and am going with the quote for $850. This includes Y Cat Assembly, Muffler, Tailpipe, and installation. This was the cheapest after calling at least 4 other shops. I tried to get the Rover Group to quote, but I did not receive a return call. This was after I called 2 other times and left messages. Most places stated that the Y Cat is a $500 part by itself? The work is being completed tomorrow. I will post again to let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Old June 13th, 2005, 07:30 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass
I know the price of steel is going up, but it can't be going up THAT much!!
The price of stainless at our fab shop has nearly quadroupled in the past 18 months.
Old June 13th, 2005, 11:54 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

wow, that's outrageous. Does anybody know why? Is it for the same reason that concrete is going up... is China taking all the concrete AND steel too!!!???

Good luck with the exhaust Rob, I hope it works out for you well. Be sure to post back when it's done. At least you can say that you really did do your homework and came out with the best that you could find, eh?
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:36 AM
kleedee
Rob

Since you all provided some great help, I wanted to follow up with the Exhaust Replacement. I picked up the Defender after a complete Exhaust Replacement yesterday. I am extremely happy with the work that was performed. It is running better now then it ever has. The total cost to complete the work was $849.00. The work was completed in San Diego at a shop called Dual-Tone. I highly recommend!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, exhaust