Exhaust Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:52 AM
klawler9
Ken Lawler
none (yet)

Exhaust Question

I finally took possession of a 1985 Defender 110 ex MOD. I had City Side Garage in Massachusetts do a bunch of things to it including seat belts for everyone in the bed. So far I love the vehicle and so does the family even if it is not exactly soft top weather.

This question will probably get me thrown off the forum but here goes. The diesel fumes with the top on or rolled up flood the cabin of the truck and are somewhat overwhelming. I actually think I got light headed at one point.

The exhaust comes off the left rear corner at an angle but, much like a boat, there is a vacuum created that pulls the fumes back into the truck. Is there anything that can be done to mitigate this? I actually started thinking about swapping for a gas engine but that may have been a side effect of the diesel fume induced delirium.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	90119  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:25 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Unless you make a stack exhaust like on a semi you will occasionally get fumes with a gas or a diesel engine.
This will gain you ridicule and your truck will be placed in the Rover Hall of Shame thread.
Converting it to electric is another option.

You could probably shorten up the exhaust and have it exit before the rear wheel and it MIGHT help unless you have a strong crosswind. I personally like the smell of diesel exhaust. If you run vegoil it will make you hungry while you drive.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:34 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Ken, I've had soft tops both petrol and diesel and have never had a problem with fumes even when I was running on WVO with the sides and rear rolled up.

I would first check the exhaust manifold & joints for leaks, however with the rear rolled up there is a low pressure area created just inside the load bed when driving that can suck fumes back into the bed area this can be disrupted by opening the side windows a little or driving with the rear part down.
There is also fit a fume curtain available which does the same thing by isolating the cab from the load bed but this is most commonly used to keep the cab warm.

Redirecting the exhaust from the side where it is pulled into the vehicles vortex & rolls up to the rear mid point, to the rear where it is pulled into a different part of the vortex this is done by replacing the tail pipe.
From memory the exhaust tail pipe part numbers were different depending on whether a hard or soft top was fitted.

Regards

Gren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:42 PM
ArlowCT
Ryan Lowe
1973ish SER III, 88"

I have always had this problem with my 88" with 2.25 petrol. Going out the back may not help much. When my rear pinion seal went all the oil leaking out was sucked in the back of the truck at highway speed with the back rolled up. Back of the seats, my head, inside of the windshield all covered with 90wt. Sometimes the exhaust does get overwhelming! Let you know what you find.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:55 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Keep that back flap down and make sure there are no exaust leaks.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:56 PM
klawler9
Ken Lawler
none (yet)

I just took the whole top off and it was still pretty strong. I might be one of those extra sensitive people but I don't think so. I suspect there is an exhaust leak somewhere forward.

On a different note I just pulled the mailman and his truck out of a snowbank with the Defender. I love this truck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust